The Commons Bar Mk IX - MHoC Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
Kittiara
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
For all intents and purposes a Conservative government, some Labour MPs probably want to retunr to the old system, as will some MPs from other parties, tbh, probably even the Lib Dems now they will benefit from it, unlike when they brought it in. The Labour MPs will probably be whipped to vote against it but I reckon if timed right it would pass, just about. What we have to remember is that the Tories can't really lose out, not this term at least, they either call an early election when doing well or they just sit out the full 5 years.
Aye, that is true. What system would you go for? Do you mean PR?

Aph said ages ago that Lucas was re-elected but I still can't see it anywhere.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Inexorably)
Okay good morning, what have I missed.

1) Has Nigel Farage won his seat
2) Has Nick Clegg.

--

My constituency has remained conservative again what a shock
--
Oh my, the Lib Dems really aren't doing well.
Clegg held
Both Thanets left to declare
Kittiara
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Guardian seems dodgy
First it says that Bercow failed to hold, then that he is still a Conservative and won by miles...
Oh really? Will try the Google one then, thanks.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Kittiara)
Aye, that is true. What system would you go for? Do you mean PR?

Aph said ages ago that Lucas was re-elected but I still can't see it anywhere.
I'm perfectly fine with FPTP
I mean the whole the PM can call an early election, simply repealing FTPA isn't enough, if we did that we wouldn't have another election.

According to your Guardian link Lucas' seat is yet to declare still
Asolare
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Clegg held
Both Thanets left to declare
Genuinely surprised I just looked up the amount of votes he won by, barely 2,000 oh dear.

Ahhh okayy.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Kittiara)
Oh really? Will try the Google one then, thanks.
Google confirms it, although they don't derp and declare him a Conservative candidate
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Genuinely surprised I just looked up the amount of votes he won by, barely 2,000 oh dear.

Ahhh okayy.
Not really suprising, we all knew it would be a small majority, but we also all knew that we Tories would be kind enough to keep him in, even if only to keep Labour out.
Asolare
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Not really suprising, we all knew it would be a small majority, but we also all knew that we Tories would be kind enough to keep him in, even if only to keep Labour out.
Do you think it's going to be a conservative majority? Just checked BBC and that's what they seem to be predicting :P
Kittiara
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm perfectly fine with FPTP
I mean the whole the PM can call an early election, simply repealing FTPA isn't enough, if we did that we wouldn't have another election.

According to your Guardian link Lucas' seat is yet to declare still
Aye sorry, fading quickly here. Didn't have much sleep Weds to Thursday night, and been up all night again. I think it's time to get some rest.

Yeah, can't find anything anywhere on it. Perhaps he misunderstood.

Night night Jammy Duel, and night everyone.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do you think it's going to be a conservative majority? Just checked BBC and that's what they seem to be predicting :P
I hope so, it might not be the most workable of majorities but a majority is still a majority. Either way, Labour's underhand scheming to force Cameron out have definitely come to naught.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
can someone tell me how the seats are looking now?
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
torys won my seat, no surprise there
Saracen's Fez
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Bristol West is Lib Dem
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
can someone tell me how the seats are looking now?
242 con
210 lab
55 SMP
8 DUP
6 Ld
That's all I can see

Forecast for main two is 325 232
Asolare
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I hope so, it might not be the most workable of majorities but a majority is still a majority. Either way, Labour's underhand scheming to force Cameron out have definitely come to naught.
Yes it certainly seems to have gone pretty awfully for Labour so far (I'm not complaining ), I'm actually still quite surprised how it's gone considering what every poll predicted except the exit one.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yes it certainly seems to have gone pretty awfully for Labour so far (I'm not complaining ), I'm actually still quite surprised how it's gone considering what every poll predicted except the exit one.
In hindsight, what I think a lot of people forgot was UKIP. Yes, Labour have their advantage, but that's before you have a good 5 or so percent going UKIP, and a pretty strong swing in the Tory safe seats.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
242 con
210 lab
55 SMP
8 DUP
6 Ld
That's all I can see

Forecast for main two is 325 232
a tory majority:sigh: this has been slaughter for everyone.

lib dem's: in my mind are odd because they seem to have had an equal swing going to labour and the torys which having been in coalition with the torys I can see the labour back-lash but it seems that the right wing of the party decided it liked this government so mush that they went for voting tory...

labour: im shocked basically but I can see how they were basically being a watered down conservatives so didn't really inspire the left wing vote.

UKIP: yay!!!! farage has lost (almost) and he is UKIP so the party is now dead!!!!

SNP: wanted them to take the whole of Scotland.

im also annoyed that it looks like voting reform and converting HoL into an elected senate, both of which are desperately needed, wont happen under the torys. I mean they likely wont get more then 35% of the vote but they will be allowed to rule. thats not right.
Asolare
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
In hindsight, what I think a lot of people forgot was UKIP. Yes, Labour have their advantage, but that's before you have a good 5 or so percent going UKIP, and a pretty strong swing in the Tory safe seats.
Yes that did occur to me last night about how influential UKIP will have been in this election even if it doesn't seem it at first glance.
--
For anyone in Stoke-On-Trent North or South, they're recounting the votes so you'll have to wait longer
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
a tory majority:sigh: this has been slaughter for everyone.

lib dem's: in my mind are odd because they seem to have had an equal swing going to labour and the torys which having been in coalition with the torys I can see the labour back-lash but it seems that the right wing of the party decided it liked this government so mush that they went for voting tory...

labour: im shocked basically but I can see how they were basically being a watered down conservatives so didn't really inspire the left wing vote.

UKIP: yay!!!! farage has lost (almost) and he is UKIP so the party is now dead!!!!

SNP: wanted them to take the whole of Scotland.

im also annoyed that it looks like voting reform and converting HoL into an elected senate, both of which are desperately needed, wont happen under the torys. I mean they likely wont get more then 35% of the vote but they will be allowed to rule. thats not right.
Elected HoL is one of the stupidest things we could do to our government system, it replaces experts with HoC rejects
Labour isn't really that surprising taken in conjunction with the Tory results, given just how poor the two Eds have been (despite being multi millionaires )
Lib Dems was an interesting one, was surprised how badly they did
Still hoping for Farage to win his seat
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Two hour old news, yes, but Moggy kept his seat
Just short of an absolute majority too
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (9)
21.43%
No (33)
78.57%

Watched Threads