Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by torres657)
    thanks, I am always using Thomson/Dealogic to check rankings, but I need the one more for getting some ideas to have discussion around industry/trends this year
    0 growth / low interest rates : financing is cheap, let's do SOMETHING with it while it lasts !!!!
    the pound is 20% down: let's seize these prime UK assets !!
    with this you're covered usually.
    more complicated:
    FIG - italian gov created a bad loan portfolio with some tasty yield, there might be a market for this junk let's move around loan portfolios
    Sponsors - although funding is readily available, pricing sucks, everything is so ****ing expensive, reaching that 20% irr is tough, let's add some add-on acquisitions using the cheap cash and cov-lite financing
    Beverages: **** europeans and their healthy diets, let's buy some US drinks
    Snacks/food: **** europeans and their healthy diets, let's get into protein bars/green crap/pseudo healthy ****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by savonarollla)
    0 growth / low interest rates : financing is cheap, let's do SOMETHING with it while it lasts !!!!
    the pound is 20% down: let's seize these prime UK assets !!
    with this you're covered usually.
    more complicated:
    FIG - italian gov created a bad loan portfolio with some tasty yield, there might be a market for this junk let's move around loan portfolios
    Sponsors - although funding is readily available, pricing sucks, everything is so ****ing expensive, reaching that 20% irr is tough, let's add some add-on acquisitions using the cheap cash and cov-lite financing
    Beverages: **** europeans and their healthy diets, let's buy some US drinks
    Snacks/food: **** europeans and their healthy diets, let's get into protein bars/green crap/pseudo healthy ****
    wow good points, very useful

what is your view on energy and healthcare?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by torres657)
    wow good points, very useful

what is your view on energy and healthcare?
    my take on energy dates from when i was following the special oil situation back in august:

mid-stream: there's action in MLP's (mater limited partnerships, funds who own pipelines and get an income at $/m^3*distance) because they are affected by volumes not by the oil price
    up-stream: calamity
    oil services: calamity
    energy is responsible for 1.6% of default rates in Europe (out of 2%) so all of the Rx is focused on that tho'.
    that and shipping.

i don't follow healthcare, kinda complicated if you're not dedicated to it.

ReputationRep:
    my take on energy dates from when i was following the special oil situation back in august:

mid-stream: there's action in MLP's (mater limited partnerships, funds who own pipelines and get an income at $/m^3*distance) because they are affected by volumes not by the oil price
    energy is responsible for 1.6% of default rates in Europe (out of 2%) so all of the Rx is focused on that tho'.
    that and shipping.

thoughts on tech, and leveraged finance?

ReputationRep:

that and shipping.

yeah good insights, my addition to oil & gas:
    - deals in the mid-stream were also driven by demand for these assets since companies in mid-stream have infrastructure like characteristics and there is huge demand by PFs, insurance funds for these assets since they want to match their l-t liabilities by investing into this
    - as you said deal flow was very low i up-stream because of large valuation gap between buyers expecting fire-sale prices and sellers expecting rebound in oil prices
    I just read an article on healthcare that transactions volume is down compared to 2016 since they are waiting for US election as regulation is important factor in healthcare and there is still some uncertainty because of upcoming elections

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flourish RY)
    thoughts on tech, and leveraged finance?
    lev fin is my would be specialty
    LOW IR = money is cheap, everybody and their mother can get a loan, the times are really good for issuers, not so much for wannabe investors since assets are so pricey given the flood of money
    Low default rates in Europe makes it likely to continue to be the same
    HY Volumes for H1 2016 are already above those of 2007 ... total ! though '14 remains the record year
    Rates being so low also alleviates the current debt servicing since a lot of debt out there has variable rates based on Libor which has gone to **** lately thus making them able to hold more leverage
    at the same time these f****** regulators tell banks not to go over 6.0x net debt / ebitda sort of limiting lev fin revenue
    0 Growth: how can you grow organically if there is no growth ? poaching customers in a constant market share environment is costly and tough, let's do that freaking M&A using the quasi free debt out there
    Yields on regular debt being near 0 if not negative (Allianz & unilever both raised debt at 0% a few months ago) has made pension funds, mutual funds and all the regular no risk folks move into HYB and maybe even equities today. apparently US Pension funds need 7% return to get you an (un)decent retirement but how do **** do you that relatively safely when Nestlé gives you -0.5% ? what's for sure is that this is not sustainable.

i'm not into tech sowwy, but a move such as AT&T's shows how desperate companies are. there isn't much stuff to do outside of using cheap money to take risky bets which is what ultimately the central bank low ir policies wants us to do.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone give me an email for GS recruitment please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Millerman)
    Did you have interview already?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Millerman)
    [email protected]

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hamsa18)
    delete some private messages so i can message you?
    try

ReputationRep:
    Any advice on Centerview 'quick call'?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Posting again, does anyone have insight into Macquarie first rounds. I have my interview tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    Did my phone call with RBS one month ago and I was notified the following day that I had been successful, but after 30 days I've not been already invited to an AC. Is it ordinary to wait for such a long time or I've been probably rejected?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paulpierce94)
    Did my phone call with RBS one month ago and I was notified the following day that I had been successful, but after 30 days I've not been already invited to an AC. Is it ordinary to wait for such a long time or I've been probably rejected?
    call them maybe they just forgot about you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paulpierce94)
    same position, maybe they just havent started ACs

ReputationRep:
    Much technical stuff in RBC IBD first round?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Askaud)
    Much technical stuff in RBC IBD first round?
    Just the basics, talk about a deal, went into the basics about DCF and DDM, a bit of depth about the cash flow, why we discount it etc. Really nothing that should throw you

I had a brainteaser in mine which was not particularly easy

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zctprqz)
    anyone applied for JPM Asia jumpstart investment banking event?
    I did video interview a week ago, still no reply
    Did the video interview for markets, same situation. I emailed HR and they said it means rejection lol

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how long MS take to reply after sitting the online test? Similarly to JPM too (for invitation to tests.)..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kuchkuchhotahai)
    Does anyone know how long MS take to reply after sitting the online test? Similarly to JPM too (for invitation to tests.)..
    as it has been said several times, sometimes it takes five days, sometimes you get a mass rejection after four months. Impossible to tell

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.