Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016 Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: What grades are you expecting on results day?
    A*A*A* (A2 only)
    5.80%
    A*A*A (A2 only)
    5.11%
    A*AA (A2 only)
    8.61%
    AAA
    10.88%
    AAB
    14.14%
    ABB
    12.30%
    BBB
    5.44%
    BBC
    6.16%
    BCC
    5.05%
    CCC
    1.75%
    CCD
    4.08%
    A*AB (A2 only)
    4.86%
    A*BB (A2 only)
    1.42%
    ABC
    5.89%
    ACC
    1.48%
    Other
    7.04%

ReputationRep:
    When are edexcel and AQA grade bounderies released.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by target21859)
    Could this mean I'm in or is it just a standard answer. It's just the "you will receive..." bit makes it sound like I got in
    Attachment 571402
    certainly doesn't hint at any "you got in!" to me, it's just saying you will receive this (but they obviously don't want to put "if you get in") so I'd argue it's just a standard email

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kraixo)
    When are edexcel and AQA grade bounderies released.
    Edexcel: 00:00 on Wednesday 17th August.
    AQA: Around 08:30-09:00 on Wednesday 17th August.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    Near every results day, I get obsessed with a Lana Del Rey song.

Sums it up, given how depressing her music is
    Same same although I like Lana anyway. Which one are you obsessed with right now haha?

(Original post by Guardianbright)
    Same same although I like Lana anyway. Which one are you obsessed with right now haha?
    Without You :heart:

Though I sometimes find myself singing the lyrics of Swift's 'Wildest Dreams' to it That Taylor, stole Lana's tune

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justthatboy)
    wait for your results, if your happy with them then apply. but personally i would say apply regardless what grade you got. i got fairly similar grade to u and i have an offer for chemical engineering at cambridge
    Ah that's great!! What were your gcse grades like? and also what did you talk about in your personal statement?

ReputationRep:
    How generally significant are the variations in Grade Boundaries? If this were last year I needed to get 53/80 to get an A in both BUSS3 and BUSS4, and seeing as I was working at around 60/80 and 70/80 beforehand I want a good buffer (though in BUSS3 I do have a mark increase due to circumstances which could bump me up)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToastiestZombie)
    Thought I'd post here in the runup to this.

Who, despite constantly getting consistent As and A*s in all practice papers beforehand, is still bricking themselves over this? I need to get AAB, the exact results I got last year, yet I don't see any scenario in which I will have done so. All my teachers are ones who've been marking for years now but I can't trust their judgement in all the mocks and practices I did. It's like nothing can get my mind off of failure and it sucks, probably the reason I'm up at 1am. These three days can't go fast enough.

For the record I'm doing Business, English Lit and Film, the first of which is what I'm going on to study. All three have always had relatively low grade boundaries so I'm interested in seeing what they are this year.
    Hi,
    Did you do the aqa business papers?

ReputationRep:

Though I sometimes find myself singing the lyrics of Swift's 'Wildest Dreams' to it That Taylor, stole Lana's tune
    Haha! Without You isn't even the most depressing! Although I have to admit this results day I'm also obsessed with two of the new Tom Odell songs 'concrete' and 'I thought I knew what love was' anything melancholy goes really.

ReputationRep:
    Any hopeful medics on here waiting for their results? I just want to get this over with...

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else like watching youtube videos of people opening thier results?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    How generally significant are the variations in Grade Boundaries? If this were last year I needed to get 53/80 to get an A in both BUSS3 and BUSS4, and seeing as I was working at around 60/80 and 70/80 beforehand I want a good buffer (though in BUSS3 I do have a mark increase due to circumstances which could bump me up)
    Don't be too confident about your extra marls. Assuming you only got2/3% that's 2 extra marks at most.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPFM)
    Why are most courses at Lancaster uni in clearing?
    Because they still have empty places to fill. They haven't had enough people firm their courses yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doctorwhofan98)
    I got 5 offers in total - other than York and Leicester, I got offers from Warwick, Newcastle and Birmingham. I hadn't expected to get more than 2 or 3 (which would've effectively led to no decisions being necessary), so I was surprised when I got 5, and it took me a long time to reach a final decision. Whenever I visited a university, it became my favourite, which inevitably caused issues, but ultimately I'm really happy with my firm. Actually that's another bit of advice - visit universities whenever you can (definitely go on post-offer visits!) and take your time when finalising decisions. My medicine friend (I'll just use his name, Andy, to simplify things!) loved Imperial the first time he visited, then liked it a lot less when going for his interview, but ultimately liked it enough to insure it. Basically, feelings about universities will vary, and don't rush anything! I'm hoping York will accept me if I miss the grades (I think Politics might have gone badly :-/) but it's all uncertain, though I'm lucky that Leicester had given me an unconditional - as that's my insurance, I can get any grade and still study Law, albeit not at my preferred university.

I was sent Andy's personal statement (we exchanged a lot of drafts) so I can answer that question - keep it largely academic. When he referenced extra-curricular stuff, it was rare, and he linked it back to medicine regarding skills, so when referencing the Duke of Edinburgh Gold Award, he noted that the "expedition required... teamwork", and mentioned how he balanced his studies with exercise. The rest of it was academic, or about work-experience, and he didn't even mention stuff like becoming Deputy Head Boy, in favour of things like medicine residentials instead; don't be afraid to mention things like Head Girl or similar though, as Andy might have taken it too far. Universities are more interested in stuff relevant to the course than not, so anything you do include should have some kind of link to the course, like leadership skills etc.

If you think of any questions any time during the admissions process feel free to tag/message me, as I'm staying in touch with Andy as we head off to uni and I'm sure he'll be happy to answer any questions, any time.
    Wow Warwick! I always loved it there but they only offer graduate medicine so you are so lucky you got an unconditional! Even if it is somewhere your not not hot on at least you know you will get to study what you want!

Yeah okay that's a relief! I did mention my prefect stuff and a social project but not in too much detail! Makes sense, thanks

You're amazing, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zazzzy57)
    Hi,
    Did you do the aqa business papers?
    Yeah, BUSS3 and 4. Found BUSS4 quite easy whereas BUSS3 definitely did throw a few curveballs, though the past paper I did beforehand where I kind of half-assed it I did get 60/80 which is above 90% UMS

(Original post by Aph)
    Don't be too confident about your extra marls. Assuming you only got2/3% that's 2 extra marks at most.
    It's a 5% upmark (Grandparent passing away the day before the exam) but at 80 marks yeah it'll be at most 2 or 3, which can be enough to bump up a mark sometimes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fefssdf)
    yep chances are that our fate has already been sealed Nottingham Uni let me in plz

Yeah I'm dreading results day so much! Im sure you'll do just fine!!! Good luck
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, BUSS3 and 4. Found BUSS4 quite easy whereas BUSS3 definitely did throw a few curveballs.

It's a 5% upmark (Grandparent passing away the day before the exam) but at 80 marks yeah it'll be at most 2 or 3, which can be enough to bump up a mark sometimes.
    5% is 4 marks!!! Not ground breaking but could bump you up a grade.

It does seem insignificant though...

ReputationRep:
    Another Cardiff firm here. Need AAB but my pessimist mind just isn't seeing myself getting it. Thankfully I won't have to go through clearing, but I'd rather not have to go to my Insurance (Portsmouth) if I don't have to.
    I need AAB for Pharmacy. Portsmouth is my insurance tooo! what course are you applying for

ReputationRep:

I can be your China dollIf you want to see me fall

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    5% is 4 marks!!! Not ground breaking but could bump you up a grade.

It does seem insignificant though...
    Wait, how does it work then. Are the extra grades added based on the total amount of marks (so 80) or based on 5% of the marks you got in the exam? Not entirely sure.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.