Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    Can anyone tell me what the standard policy is on long absence at their uni? I'm going to end up missing two weeks, and I'm getting really anxious that I won't end up getting the PGCE in time for September because of this! Can that happen?

I can see where you are coming from, as the whole thing hasn't been timed right. I am not naturally confident and I don't like being thrown in so I can empathise. Can you see if there can be an arrangement to start fresh in September, with student finance and guaranteed allocation of hours?
    Well if I'm going to start again in September I wouldn't want to do it there. Not only would I not trust them to deliver I'm also planning on moving away from the area to be nearer my boyfriend.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gemmam)
    Apparently my hours have been sorted; however I am still having thoughts about dropping out. Because I started my placement so late I haven't had any observations yet which means I'm going to have to rush them without been given enough time to build up my confidence in the classroom (as I'm not a naturally confident person anyway this will mean I'm unlikely to pass them first time around). I still want to work in education but I don't think I want to be a teacher anymore nor do I think I'd make a good one. Thoughts?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My advice would be to stick at it for a while longer. The first few weeks/month are bound to be tough and it will be a struggle, but it's all about finding your feet at first. To this end, the observations during this time may go terribly, and that's absolutely fine (looking through my SE1 observations, it's amazing how much changed). I'd say stick at it at least until Easter, then see how you feel about it. Even if you don't want to be a teacher, the PGCE is still a good thing to have on a job application (much better than a gap). Especially if you're looking at continuing in education of some form.

I know it's been hard - your experiences sound bang out of order to be honest - but hopefully the problems should be over now. Teaching isn't easy, but after the initial awkward phase I've found I'm massively enjoyed it. Don't let your rubbish training provider ruin your ambitions before you get started.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tory88)
    My advice would be to stick at it for a while longer. The first few weeks/month are bound to be tough and it will be a struggle, but it's all about finding your feet at first. To this end, the observations during this time may go terribly, and that's absolutely fine (looking through my SE1 observations, it's amazing how much changed). I'd say stick at it at least until Easter, then see how you feel about it. Even if you don't want to be a teacher, the PGCE is still a good thing to have on a job application (much better than a gap). Especially if you're looking at continuing in education of some form.

I know it's been hard - your experiences sound bang out of order to be honest - but hopefully the problems should be over now. Teaching isn't easy, but after the initial awkward phase I've found I'm massively enjoyed it. Don't let your rubbish training provider ruin your ambitions before you get started.
    We go on full-time teaching practice for a month after half term and I've been told I need to get at least two observations in during that time. I did do some teaching hours before Christmas covering for a teacher who was off which weren't so bad but I had a bad experience a couple of weeks ago which made me have second thoughts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    We go on full-time teaching practice for a month after half term and I've been told I need to get at least two observations in during that time. I did do some teaching hours before Christmas covering for a teacher who was off which weren't so bad but I had a bad experience a couple of weeks ago which made me have second thoughts.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Your observations don't need to be perfect. Don't sweat them. If anything you'll be able to show how you're progressing in such a short amount of time. Stick it out and give everything a go.

You got this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone tell me what the standard policy is on long absence at their uni? I'm going to end up missing two weeks, and I'm getting really anxious that I won't end up getting the PGCE in time for September because of this! Can that happen?

I can see where you are coming from, as the whole thing hasn't been timed right. I am not naturally confident and I don't like being thrown in so I can empathise. Can you see if there can be an arrangement to start fresh in September, with student finance and guaranteed allocation of hours?
    Not sure about policy but I had to have surgery during my PGCE. I had to take 2 weeks off, though that overlapped a little bit with half term. My uni and placement school were both fine about it and really supportive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm sorry to hear that. It's important to remember that we all have bad lessons/days/weeks, but we then get to go into the classroom again and iron everything out and have an upswing, You've unfortunately been denied that opportunity.

The important thing is to remember that even experienced teachers have horrible lessons where nobody learns everything, and put all your efforts into developing new lessons.You're bound to be shaky at the start, but that's fine - perhaps to ease yourself in ask to take a small-group or starter/plenary? Or just spend as much time talking to pupils in lessons as possible?

I find the best thing is to chuck yourself into it and keep the momentum going - I'm sure you'll do fine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    Your observations don't need to be perfect. Don't sweat them. If anything you'll be able to show how you're progressing in such a short amount of time. Stick it out and give everything a go.

You got this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm sorry to hear that. It's important to remember that we all have bad lessons/days/weeks, but we then get to go into the classroom again and iron everything out and have an upswing, You've unfortunately been denied that opportunity.

The important thing is to remember that even experienced teachers have horrible lessons where nobody learns everything, and put all your efforts into developing new lessons.You're bound to be shaky at the start, but that's fine - perhaps to ease yourself in ask to take a small-group or starter/plenary? Or just spend as much time talking to pupils in lessons as possible?

I find the best thing is to chuck yourself into it and keep the momentum going - I'm sure you'll do fine!
    Thanks. I'm wondering if there's anyway I can fake confidence?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Head up; straight back; loud, clear voice (don't rush through what you have to say); move around and move your arms. Obviously a lot easier to say than to do, but remember that pupils will assume you're an authority figure unless you show them otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    Head up; straight back; loud, clear voice (don't rush through what you have to say); move around and move your arms. Obviously a lot easier to say than to do, but remember that pupils will assume you're an authority figure unless you show them otherwise.
    I think that might be why that class didn't go well; they knew I was a student teacher. When I did the classes before Christmas they weren't told and probably assumed I was a sub or a teacher from a different department.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well if I'm going to start again in September I wouldn't want to do it there. Not only would I not trust them to deliver I'm also planning on moving away from the area to be nearer my boyfriend.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You may be able to start somewhere else? I don't know how it would work. Or you can plow through.

(Original post by myblueheaven339)
    Not sure about policy but I had to have surgery during my PGCE. I had to take 2 weeks off, though that overlapped a little bit with half term. My uni and placement school were both fine about it and really supportive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ok, thanks for letting me know. Mine is because of surgery too. Did you have to make the days up at the end?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I think that might be why that class didn't go well; they knew I was a student teacher. When I did the classes before Christmas they weren't told and probably assumed I was a sub or a teacher from a different department.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Classes shoudn't be told you're a student teacher unless you decide to tell them! It's worrying how many times this seems to be ignored though (my second placement originally printed badges that said student teacher on - although I've been told this will change by the time I start).

ReputationRep:
    So I started the teaching practice at my SE2 school and the teacher wants to check every lesson plan and to follow her plans. I'm having difficulties adjusting because in my first SE1 the teacher used to let me have a free reign on the planning, he would just tell me what he wanted me to teach.

In SE2 it is so different because the class teacher wants to check everything and I feel like this is limiting me.

Any advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't know it helps you much but I found it helped if I wore the most teacher like clothes as possible.
    I feel that if I dress the part then I feel more able to be the part.

ReputationRep:
    Classes shoudn't be told you're a student teacher unless you decide to tell them! It's worrying how many times this seems to be ignored though (my second placement originally printed badges that said student teacher on - although I've been told this will change by the time I start).
    I didn't know that. I just don't know much about classroom management; I've read books but I can't imagine myself pulling it off. In the class I had which didn't go well I over heard one of the students making a comment about me being thick. I felt like making a *****y/sarcastic comment pointing out that I have a degree in a subject he didn't get a D at GCSE in (the class are students aged 16-18 on vocational courses who are being made to do functional skills English because they didn't achieve that grade at GCSE)but didn't as I knew this would be unprofessional plus wouldn't be fair on the other students. I really wish I hadn't started this course in the first place; my boyfriend commented last weekend that he's noticed I've been unhappier the last couple of months. Ironically before I started my PGCE I was worried that I'd be given too much to do on my placement but it turned out I'm getting worried/stressed out because I haven't had enough time on placement :rolleyes:

(Original post by Sportycb)
    I don't know it helps you much but I found it helped if I wore the most teacher like clothes as possible.
    I feel that if I dress the part then I feel more able to be the part.
    Thanks I've actually found that myself. I tried wearing more causal clothes as that's how a lot of the teachers dress but I just don't feel right doing so (I think it might be because I worked in offices for several years before starting my degree so I'm used to dressing in a certain way for work).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Question - I am seeing on a lot of application forms that they went any gaps in employment/education history explained.

I have a year gap because I started a degree and decided it wasn't for me before starting another. I don't know whether to say this, or just say I had a gap year travelling. The degree I dropped out of is in the subject that I am applying to teach in this instance! So it doesn't look good...and they will want to know why I dropped out obviously. Even though I do genuinely love the subject that it was in, I just didn't have a Maths A-Level and found it very difficult at degree level.
    My school told me this was to do with Safeguarding. They have to know it wasn't because you were in prison or something. Be honest about where you were.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Two observations in a month is fine. I had 3 in 3 days last week! You'll be ok but you'll never know unless you try.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alabelle)
    Two observations in a month is fine. I had 3 in 3 days last week! You'll be ok but you'll never know unless you try.
    The thing is I don't think I'll even get the opportunity to teach on my own to get observed. My mentor seems reluctant for me to take a class as the college got a bad ofsted report last year. I really do wish I hadn't started this course I feel trapped as I don't think I'm going to pass yet I'm worried what'll happen if I drop out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The thing is I don't think I'll even get the opportunity to teach on my own to get observed. My mentor seems reluctant for me to take a class as the college got a bad ofsted report last year. I really do wish I hadn't started this course I feel trapped as I don't think I'm going to pass yet I'm worried what'll happen if I drop out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Once you secure a job the PGCE training means little, if anything. Try to get through the next few months and in the meantime make securing a job for September your priority.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwerty_mad)
    Once you secure a job the PGCE training means little, if anything. Try to get through the next few months and in the meantime make securing a job for September your priority.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't think I'm likely to pass the course also I don't feel I've gained enough experience to apply for a teaching job yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alabelle)
    My school told me this was to do with Safeguarding. They have to know it wasn't because you were in prison or something. Be honest about where you were.
    Interesting, I didn't think that would be the reason. Surely if you were actually in prison, that would show up on a DBS, so you can't lie about that anyway?

Thanks for the advice though. I sent it off yesterday and my family and friends told me not to tell the truth...so I didn't :ninja: .

I don't think I'm likely to pass the course also I don't feel I've gained enough experience to apply for a teaching job yet.
    You sound like you have made your mind up really. I don't think anyone is going to be able to convince you to carry on. I guess you just need to decide if you want to carry on in September.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.