mojojojo17
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Username: mojojojo17
Subject: Engineering
GCSE: 11 A*s, 1 A, 4 Distinctions
AS: Maths A Further Maths A Physics A Computing A Politics A Critical Thinking B (one mark off!)
plus a 30 point OU course in engineering
College: Lincoln or Keble!

I don't know if anyone's posting these mini introductions anymore, but is anyone else for engineering?
anyone_can_fly
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by fluteflute)
Mine's been a very much iterative process, improving on it bit by bit (or at least making changes I hope are improvements...). I have it in a Google Docs page, so I can edit it from home or college. And Google Docs tells me I started it on June 21st at 22:18. Except the version I uploaded to Google Docs was actually my UNIQ Summer School personal statement (half length normal PS). I look back at that UNIQ PS, and ever so little of it has made its way into my current PS draft!
Mine was similar. Did a very early "pre-1st-draft", of which barely any is still there. Then been gradually improving. I think I'm only really going to do one more draft. :eek:
(Original post by mojojojo17)
Username: mojojojo17
Subject: Engineering
GCSE: 11 A*s, 1 A, 4 Distinctions
AS: Maths A Further Maths A Physics A Computing A Politics A Critical Thinking B (one mark off!)
plus a 30 point OU course in engineering
College: Lincoln or Keble!

I don't know if anyone's posting these mini introductions anymore, but is anyone else for engineering?
Hello! Have a look at our spreadsheet (in first post) and add yourself, there are two other engineers currently. I feel your pain about the B, I was 2% off an A in music.
medbh4805
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Mine's been a very much iterative process, improving on it bit by bit (or at least making changes I hope are improvements...). I have it in a Google Docs page, so I can edit it from home or college. And Google Docs tells me I started it on June 21st at 22:18. Except the version I uploaded to Google Docs was actually my UNIQ Summer School personal statement (half length normal PS). I look back at that UNIQ PS, and ever so little of it has made its way into my current PS draft!
my UNIQ PS is so cringey :facepalm:
medbh4805
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by anyone_can_fly)
Mine was similar. Did a very early "pre-1st-draft", of which barely any is still there. Then been gradually improving. I think I'm only really going to do one more draft. :eek:
Same. I've submitted what I hope will be one of my last drafts to PS help, they said they'd review it. Hopefully it won't be taken apart like the first one :afraid:
Samdude
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by qwertyuiop1993)
I think you're supposed to declare any modules you'll be resitting as 'pending'.

But even if you don't resit it will come up as an A on UCAS - it's up to you to declare any amazing module scores. And you can always decide later that you do, in fact, wish to retake a module.
I see, so would the personal statement be a suitable place to mention good module scores?

sorry for the late reply
anyone_can_fly
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by medbh4805)
Same. I've submitted what I hope will be one of my last drafts to PS help, they said they'd review it. Hopefully it won't be taken apart like the first one :afraid:
I'm going to show mine to some of my teachers, and that'll be it, I hope. Then I can tick submit my form on UCAS! :eek:
anyone_can_fly
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Samdude)
I see, so would the personal statement be a suitable place to mention good module scores?

sorry for the late reply
No, but your teacher could mention them in their reference.
fluteflute
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
my UNIQ PS is so cringey :facepalm:
Yeah mine too! I could almost get away with posting it here, because it is so dissimilar the UCAS Plaigarism detector thingy wouldn't recognise it as the same!
medbh4805
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm going to show mine to some of my teachers, and that'll be it, I hope. Then I can tick submit my form on UCAS! :eek:
this is coming so soon. I don't like it :ashamed2:
medbh4805
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yeah mine too! I could almost get away with posting it here, because it is so dissimilar the UCAS Plaigarism detector thingy wouldn't recognise it as the same!
I can't believe I wrote it a few months ago

I wonder if next summer when I look back at my UCAS PS will I think the same thing :moon:
mojojojo17
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

Hello! Have a look at our spreadsheet (in first post) and add yourself, there are two other engineers currently. I feel your pain about the B, I was 2% off an A in music.
Hi! Thanks, I didn't even see that
I know, it sucks, I'm applying for a remark asap ;P
anyone_can_fly
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
this is coming so soon. I don't like it :ashamed2:
I'm alternating between excitement and complete terror. I didn't even realise how stressed I was until I completely snapped at my mum for suggesting that I ask my teacher for help with MAT preparation.
medbh4805
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'm alternating between excitement and complete terror. I didn't even realise how stressed I was until I completely snapped at my mum for suggesting that I ask my teacher for help with MAT preparation.
tell me about it :afraid:
fluteflute
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I can't believe I wrote it a few months ago

I wonder if next summer when I look back at my UCAS PS will I think the same thing :moon:
Yeah probably.

I kind of like my UNIQ Personal Statement, but by the time you've taken the cheesy quote off the beginning, and the UNIQ specific stuff at the end, you're not left with much reusable stuff. And most of that is me going, "look, computer science is cool, and could revolutionise all my other subjects" rather than saying "here's why I'd be great at CS".
qwertyuiop1993
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Samdude)

sorry for the late reply
No, it should go in your reference.
dnumberwang
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I looked at the single MAT paper that I've actually done and I've managed to forget it all :facepalm2:

Will get to work bashing STEP once I've finished watching the football.
roseroserose.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by humblemumble)
I sort of had this problem to begin with. But you HAVE to push past this. You simply have to, if you want any sort of shot. You seem extremely modest, which is a good thing, but you cant afford to undersell yourself in your PS. Give it your all. Im sure you'll do great. Sometimes all you need is a little encouragement
Haha thank you for this It's getting a little better, it's just I read over what I say, and although it sounds good it just doesn't feel like me! I keep wanting to throw in a sarcastic remark or a really non-funny joke here and there.. Must. Hold. Back.
Reminisce
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
(Original post by dnumberwang)
I looked at the single MAT paper that I've actually done and I've managed to forget it all :facepalm2:

Will get to work bashing STEP once I've finished watching the football.
You're not suppose to remember it. You'll unconsciously learn through working through the problems and you can do the paper again next month.
humblemumble
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Inglip)
Yeah for a while it was like 'okay done a whole paragraph', and then maybe an hour later 'no that's terrible I need to start all over'.

I hope I'm happy with it now though .
Yeah I ended up writing two completely different personal statements, because Ive left my computer behind by accident, and im on holiday. I must say its much better, now that ive rewritten the whole thing.
Apparently a good personal statement is one that sounds good only 3 or 4 drafts in!

(Original post by roseroserose.)
Haha thank you for this It's getting a little better, it's just I read over what I say, and although it sounds good it just doesn't feel like me! I keep wanting to throw in a sarcastic remark or a really non-funny joke here and there.. Must. Hold. Back.
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/under...isode_the.html

Oxford admissions tutors did an excellent podcast on personal statements
I wanted to get all jokey, but in it they said humour is just a really bad way to go, and my teachers seem to think so too!
Ari Ben Canaan
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hello !

This thread will be for discussions and advice for the much dreaded Oxford Interview process.

So how is everyone planning on preparing for the interview ? Which course are you applying for ?

Is everyone getting the PS together yet ? Which colleges are you planning on being interviewed at ?

I myself am applying for an undergrad in chemistry. Haven't even begun my PS; still doing plenty of research. :P

RESOURCES TO CHECK OUT :

http://web.archive.org/web/200502041....com/index.htm
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (274)
27.29%
No (730)
72.71%

Watched Threads