Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Current Year 13 Thread (2013/14) - Mark I Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplemind)
    That's good.
    I'm hoping to get the Bristol offer too. Will make me feel so much safer.

Don't worry too much, was the error 'a big thing'?
    You know how you're personal statement is meant to show motivation for the course? I talked about the Austrian school of thought, heard of Hayek? I don't think there's anything about it in any of the 5 we applied to. I even said I'm looking forward to studying it. :facepalm:

I'm afraid this will come across as "lack of research into what the degree entails" or something along those lines. It's too late to change it now though. It's not that I think I'll get rejected due to that, it's the fact that I wanted to get rejected giving it absolutely 100% so I can be satisfied that I tried my best, since that's what matters right? This stops it from be a perfect attempt from my side.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mynameisntbobk)
    First few days are the worst, it gets easier though :yep:
    I can imagine! oh thank goodness
    (Original post by Hodan1996)
    Same I get mine sent off in 9 days!!! I haven't even perfected my PS yet, I can't wait till next year I'm so stressed and it's not even half term yet :confused:
    Oooh scary! Think mine's getting sent off Thursday never mind, I'm sure it'll be okay slightly worried about my PS but I really don't know what I'd change. Same hahaha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NedStark)
    You know how you're personal statement is meant to show motivation for the course? I talked about the Austrian school of thought, heard of Hayek? I don't think there's anything about it in any of the 5 we applied to. I even said I'm looking forward to studying it. :facepalm:

I'm afraid this will come across as "lack of research into what the degree entails" or something along those lines. It's too late to change it now though. It's not that I think I'll get rejected due to that, it's the fact that I wanted to get rejected giving it absolutely 100% so I can be satisfied that I tried my best, since that's what matters right? This stops it from be a perfect attempt from my side.
    You can talk about motivation for the couse in Cambridge SAQ. That might help a bit.
    I don't know too much about him but I can recall that he probably won a shared Nobel prize? And he was quite liberal, didn't like too much intervention.

Maybe there would be something about him in Economic History? I don't know really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purplemind)
    You can talk about motivation for the couse in Cambridge SAQ. That might help a bit.
    I don't know too much about him but I can recall that he probably won a shared Nobel prize? And he was quite liberal, didn't like too much intervention.

Maybe there would be something about him in Economic History? I don't know really.
    Have you filled in the SAQ?

Economic history would probably cover Adam Smith and people like him but it's fine. As long as Bristol give an offer it's all good! Don't forget to keep us updated with your UCAS on that Econ thread!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NedStark)
    Have you filled in the SAQ?

Economic history would probably cover Adam Smith and people like him but it's fine. As long as Bristol give an offer it's all good! Don't forget to keep us updated with your UCAS on that Econ thread!
    I have but I didn't use all the characters. I mean, when I wrote it first I did but then I cut out half of it. I don't really have work experience I could talk about and most important things were in my PS so I just mentioned which parts of the Cambridge course I found attractive.

I saw your UMS on the stalking thread so I don't think Hayek should harm your application. I will.

ReputationRep:
    Finally sent off my UCAS. :woo:

Think I'm just going to be hitting F5 on Track until results day...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paramore<3)
    Finally sent off my UCAS. :woo:

Think I'm just going to be hitting F5 on Track until results day...
    Good luck with your application

Just saw your academics very nice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boy_wonder_95)
    Good luck with your application

Just saw your academics very nice
    Thank you! (Spamming all the threads I watch just to say 'look at meeee, I've sent off my UCAS too', sorry... ) You too, you're applying to Cambridge, right?
    Ah, thanks! Hopefully they'll keep me in good stead for what I want to do...!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paramore<3)
    Thank you! (Spamming all the threads I watch just to say 'look at meeee, I've sent off my UCAS too', sorry... ) You too, you're applying to Cambridge, right?
    Ah, thanks! Hopefully they'll keep me in good stead for what I want to do...!
    Well I don't blame you it's fine, yes I sent my application off last Wednesday .
    Yh you should be fine with those to be honest, what college at Camb?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    Leicester! My sister lives there atm
    Great city its my second choice
    (Original post by Lucy96)
    I can imagine! oh thank goodness

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha, you'll go on every so often, but not excessively

ReputationRep:
    You poor thing! you'll get through it! :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :hugs:

how is year 13 treating you?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mynameisntbobk)
    Haha, you'll go on every so often, but not excessively
    I probably will do hehe
    (Original post by lilGem)
    :hugs:

how is year 13 treating you?
    Okay thank you very much Far happier without chemistry because now I love all of my subjects biology seems to be the biggest step up, but history and lit are pretty similar!

Any more on the situation with him?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Guys for the SAQ instead of writing each topic covered from now till December, can we just write: "Whole of C3, Whole of C4, Whole of S2"? I'm asking this because we would have finished all of A2 Maths before Christmas and there's not enough space to list all the topics

ReputationRep:
    Okay thank you very much Far happier without chemistry because now I love all of my subjects biology seems to be the biggest step up, but history and lit are pretty similar!

Any more on the situation with him?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm glad! if you need any help with biology then give me a shout and I'll help

the normal, I'm still getting used to him saying he loves me 3 times a day and that he misses me:lol: I still have re-read texts and be like :lolwut: we skyped last week and he said he loved me as I was clicking the end call button. . .slightly awkward but he called back and we said we love each other. He called me beautiful yesterday again the :lolwut: but he'll hopefully be coming here soon :yep:

Got a *****y text from my friend about him though :unimpressed: it was tinged with jealousy :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilGem)

Got a *****y text from my friend about him though :unimpressed: it was tinged with jealousy :sad:
    What did she say? And does she like him?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    :hi:
    So... anybody else send their UCAS application off today? I'm so excited! :awesome::excited::crazy:

ReputationRep:
    Guys for the SAQ instead of writing each topic covered from now till December, can we just write: "Whole of C3, Whole of C4, Whole of S2"? I'm asking this because we would have finished all of A2 Maths before Christmas and there's not enough space to list all the topics
    I was told not to because of the difference in exam board specs. What will you have studied? Want me to see if I can make it more concise?

EDIT: on the other hand, pure and further pure have very distinct boundaries so maybe saying C3, C4 and S2 would be okay :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I think it'd be fine because although you cover different things in them on different boards, all boards cover the same things over the whole A2. As well as S1 and S2 overall.

If that makes sense.

ReputationRep:
    Sent my ums off to Durham for Maths :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    I sent my UCAS to school on the 2nd. and they haven't sent it to UCAS. Its nerve wrcking as its out of my control :/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.