The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Martigan
Hi guys

Congrats to those with an offer. We have set up a new Facebook group for you to join and meet each other in. It will also contain a select few students from other years who are there to offer you advice and support.

Enjoy!!!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1663338747288087/

Seems a bit pre-emptive with interviews still going on? Assuming no one has actually been offered anything yet
morning all. this is a (possibly silly) Q for those of you who have done or are about to do an SGUL interview. Did you only include medicine/healthcare related work experience on your form? This is what I have done so far, but I'm wondering whether I should also have included my full time job on there - it's in an unrelated field but there's plenty to say in terms of transferable skills.The website's a little unclear... thanks in advance!
Original post by rosalita
morning all. this is a (possibly silly) Q for those of you who have done or are about to do an SGUL interview. Did you only include medicine/healthcare related work experience on your form? This is what I have done so far, but I'm wondering whether I should also have included my full time job on there - it's in an unrelated field but there's plenty to say in terms of transferable skills.The website's a little unclear... thanks in advance!

If you think you'll talk about it in s station where you are asked about work experience (and can get the reference/proof by the deadline) then include it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by manupalace
If you think you'll talk about it in s station where you are asked about work experience (and can get the reference/proof by the deadline) then include it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks - I came to the same conclusion. And, one rather inelegant dash up the Northern Line later, I have a reference letter. :smile:
What would you guys say are the most important differences between medicine at King's and Warwick? What are their pro's and con's?
Original post by plenma
What would you guys say are the most important differences between medicine at King's and Warwick? What are their pro's and con's?

I can't really comment on King's as I don't know a huge deal about their course, but three big considerations off the top of my head:

1) At Kings you do all preclinical in one condensed year so it can be quite an intensive first year. At Warwick it's spread over a year and a half and you have clinical exposure throughout that time (after 16 weeks you're on wards doing exams and histories)

2) London is hella expensive.

3) Warwick's cohort is larger and solely GEM. 177 places and we stick together for 4 years. At Kings you are with GEM students only for first year but then you merge into the 5 year MBBS.

That said King's has an excellent reputation and if I could have afforded it at the time and if I had an offer, I may have taken it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
And 4) .... Your future patients will not care where you did your degree.
I was wondering whether its okay to bring a small suitcase or large backpack to interview? I have to stay in a hotel for one interview but as I'm leaving to go home the same day as the interview, and I need to check out, I have no other choice but to take my stuff to the interview. Do people normally do this? I will also be on my own so won't have any one else to carry my things during the interview. Would it look unprofessional to be walking around the interview room (its mmi) with a massive bag?
Original post by DazzleLight
I was wondering whether its okay to bring a small suitcase or large backpack to interview? I have to stay in a hotel for one interview but as I'm leaving to go home the same day as the interview, and I need to check out, I have no other choice but to take my stuff to the interview. Do people normally do this? I will also be on my own so won't have any one else to carry my things during the interview. Would it look unprofessional to be walking around the interview room (its mmi) with a massive bag?

There's usually somewhere you can keep your bags/coats etc either in another room or at the back of the room so you don't have to take it into the interview with you :smile: A lot of people will be in the same position as well, don't worry!

All the interviews I had provided place to store bags and coats, it's perfectly normal and acceptable to have a large bag with you

I went up to Liverpool recently and my hotel actually let me check my bags in whilst I went to the interview ( My hotel checkout was before my interview time & they just gave me a card so I could collect my bags later on)- just saved me having to carry such a large bag to the interview place. That's always an option if your hotel is fairly far away from your interview! Alternatively, as everyone else has said, there is usually a place/ room to store your things :smile:
Original post by kethan
I went up to Liverpool recently and my hotel actually let me check my bags in whilst I went to the interview ( My hotel checkout was before my interview time & they just gave me a card so I could collect my bags later on)- just saved me having to carry such a large bag to the interview place. That's always an option if your hotel is fairly far away from your interview! Alternatively, as everyone else has said, there is usually a place/ room to store your things :smile:

Completely of topic, but I am planning to apply to liverpool for GEM next year, just wondering if you knew what there GAMSAT cutt off was this cycle and also what are the MMI's like?
Original post by tehreem5
Completely of topic, but I am planning to apply to liverpool for GEM next year, just wondering if you knew what there GAMSAT cutt off was this cycle and also what are the MMI's like?

Every year the cut-offs will be different. So any info about this year wont tell you anything.
MMIs are designed to test the skills/attitudes/behaviours expected of a Doctor. And the whole point about them is that you cant prepare for them in advance.
Original post by returnmigrant
Every year the cut-offs will be different. So any info about this year wont tell you anything.
MMIs are designed to test the skills/attitudes/behaviours expected of a Doctor. And the whole point about them is that you cant prepare for them in advance.

Not strictly true, MMIs tend to have a simple theme per station. So ethics, respect, communication etc. You can prepare by getting someone you don't know particularly well ask you a question or present you with a scenario or pretend to be a patient/healthcare professional/stranger on a bus and you get 5 minutes or so to let the talking flow out.

Each school has different boxes to tick but they are usually pretty transparent about what they expect to see. The challenge is never knowing which station is which and how they might approach it. You might be met with hostility or encouragement or nothing!

I like MMIs because if you say or do something silly it only affects one station outcome. Cock up on panel and it might not be so easy to bounce back from.

I recommend reading the GMC guidelines for professionalism and the doctor as scientist/scholar, practitioner and professional.

If you have a group activity basically- don't be a dick.
Original post by tehreem5

As mentioned previously the cutoffs change every year but I think Liverpool has been around 55 again this year.
MMIs aren't actually too bad - especially if you prepare for them a bit! I think after doing a couple I actually do prefer them to normal interviews although it is difficult to develop rapport with the interviewers.
So at the Warwick MMIs, you've got 8 minutes to answer questions on one topic. At Swansea, you've got twenty minutes to answer however many questions they ask you - in one of the twenty minute ones, they asked me so many different questions that I felt more rushed than at Warwick - and they did move me on a couple of times and explicitly say 'sorry but we've got a lot of questions to ask, so we have to move on'. In the other twenty minute interview, I went into more depth on fewer topics. I don't know if this matches up with other people's experiences, but I think actually the format of the interview doesn't necessarily dictate the style.
Reply 4976
Has anyone started student finance? its confusing me haha
Original post by kj0511

I started, but none of my unis are recognised!
Original post by kj0511

I have completed mine but not sent off my ID yet. Fingers crossed I haven't cocked up :-s not sure why so much documentation is needed when I provided it all to SFE for my undergrad :frown:
Original post by kj0511

Ha I've been thinking about posting for hep all day. I've started but I'm also so confused. Are we meant to apply for full tuition fee's, then they'll tell us we only get £5,675 or do we apply for a reduced amount to start with? None of my courses will come up either. I might call SF for some clarification...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending