Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I find it ironic how self-styled 'tolerant' leftists on my Facebook are all sharing that photo of Brock Turner which features the caption "...He isn't a student or even a human at this point. He is a rapist."
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    I find it ironic how self-styled 'tolerant' leftists on my Facebook are all sharing that photo of Brock Turner which features the caption "...He isn't a student or even a human at this point. He is a rapist."
    To be honest, this is why I find a lot of these tolerant leftists to be some of the worst people in society - they preach tolerance, so long as it fits within their narrow and broad definitions and world views. Many are vile, discriminatory individuals who don't have the guts to recognise what horrible people they are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    To be honest, this is why I find a lot of these tolerant leftists to be some of the worst people in society - they preach tolerance, so long as it fits within their narrow and broad definitions and world views. Many are vile, discriminatory individuals who don't have the guts to recognise what horrible people they are.
    Absolutely. Tolerant as long as they don't have to hold an unpopular opinion.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Looks like Schapps is looking to try to get back on the cabinet

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well I disagree with the not even a human part but they are correct in that he is a rapist, and sociology says that a crime becomes a person's label once it is known the are a criminal, not student, or swimmer ect but the crime, in this case rapist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    Well I disagree with the not even a human part but they are correct in that he is a rapist, and sociology says that a crime becomes a person's label once it is known the are a criminal, not student, or swimmer ect but the crime, in this case rapist.
    But that shouldn't be the case, it's terribly regressive.

ReputationRep:
    But that shouldn't be the case, it's terribly regressive.
    It is how society operates, which is all I was saying. I am also unsure if you are saying we should tolerate and accept rapists in society or not, you too toronto353
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    It is how society operates, which is all I was saying. I am also unsure if you are saying we should tolerate and accept rapists in society or not, you too toronto353
    No, I'm not saying that at all. What I take offence at is the tolerant PC crowd saying 'He isn't a student or even a human at this point. He is a rapist.' How is that tolerance?

ReputationRep:
    We should understand that they are no less human than anyone else because of their history, and attempt to help them become good, functioning members of society.

ReputationRep:
    No, I'm not saying that at all. What I take offence at is the tolerant PC crowd saying 'He isn't a student or even a human at this point. He is a rapist.' How is that tolerance?
    Well he isn't a student anymore, that is fact, he is instead a prisoner in for the crime of rape (I don't disagree on the human part however, that is just stupid and ill thought-out )

We should understand that they are no less human than anyone else because of their history, and attempt to help them become good, functioning members of society.
    It might take more than six months in a county jail however to teach someone they have most likely had a seriously detrimental, if not completely ****ed up, another persons life, and what they have to do to become a functioning member of society, especially with his father defending him how he has.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    Well he isn't a student anymore, that is fact, he is instead a prisoner in for the crime of rape (I don't disagree on the human part however, that is just stupid and ill thought-out )
    That is effectively why I loathe the 'tolerance' brigade because many of them are just as judgmental as the rest of us - the difference is that they seek to hide it, whereas the rest of us don't.

ReputationRep:
    It might take more than six months in a county jail however to teach someone they have most likely had a seriously detrimental, if not completely ****ed up, another persons life, and what they have to do to become a functioning member of society, especially with his father defending him how he has.
    And it might take less.

That's not the point though. Dehumanising anyone is unacceptable.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad

Jail won't teach him a lesson at all.

ReputationRep:
    That is effectively why I loathe the 'tolerance' brigade because many of them are just as judgmental as the rest of us - the difference is that they seek to hide it, whereas the rest of us don't.
    All depends on what you think they are tolerant of, many of them, in my experience, are tolerant on lgbt issues, on race difference, gender, class ect, and on smaller crime, such as theft. But massively tolerate of police brutality, sexual assault/rape and such.

And it might take less.

That's not the point though. Dehumanising anyone is unacceptable.
    I agree on dehumanising, although I don't think it would take less than six months when his family are basically painting him as the victim in the entire thing

(Original post by Aph)
    modern jail I don't disagree tbh, we need to reform the system to make it about reform, not punishment imo
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    That's why you hang them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    All depends on what you think they are tolerant of, many of them, in my experience, are tolerant on lgbt issues, on race difference, gender, class ect, and on smaller crime, such as theft. But massively tolerate of police brutality, sexual assault/rape and such.
    So they pick and choose then? Tolerance by their own terms is not tolerance - it's an illusion designed to make themselves appear better than they are.

modern jail I don't disagree tbh, we need to reform the system to make it about reform, not punishment imo
    Reform yes, but punishment is so, so vital for making sure that people know that they have done wrong.

ReputationRep:
    So they pick and choose then? Tolerance by their own terms is not tolerance - it's an illusion designed to make themselves appear better than they are.

Reform yes, but punishment is so, so vital for making sure that people know that they have done wrong.
    They are tolerant of certain things and not others, I never tend to see these people you are talking about call themselves all tolerate, just say people should be more tolerate of certain types of people, lgbt community, non white people, women, immigrants ect, not that we should be tolerate of everyone.

I would say simply being locked away is punishment, you are stuck in a cell with your freedom restricted, and in this environment we should seek to keep them safe, and seek to reform them
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    That's why you hang them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Death is not a deterrent and actually more likely to cause reoffending and serial crimes.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Aph)
    Death is not a deterrent and actually more likely to cause reoffending and serial crimes.
    Not sure how one Reoffends if dead...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Not sure how one Reoffends if dead...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I ment more serial crime, once one has killed or raped they might as well do it again because the punishment can't go up. Also people who want to die but can't do it themselves are more likely to try and get the state to kill them. Plus the death penalty has no effect on crime rates in the form of deterant.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.