Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

• View Poll Results: What grades are you expecting on results day?
    A*A*A* (A2 only)
    5.80%
    A*A*A (A2 only)
    5.11%
    A*AA (A2 only)
    8.61%
    AAA
    10.88%
    AAB
    14.14%
    ABB
    12.30%
    BBB
    5.44%
    BBC
    6.16%
    BCC
    5.05%
    CCC
    1.75%
    CCD
    4.08%
    A*AB (A2 only)
    4.86%
    A*BB (A2 only)
    1.42%
    ABC
    5.89%
    ACC
    1.48%
    Other
    7.04%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToastiestZombie)
    Another Cardiff firm here. Need AAB but my pessimist mind just isn't seeing myself getting it. Thankfully I won't have to go through clearing, but I'd rather not have to go to my Insurance (Portsmouth) if I don't have to.
    I need AAB for Pharmacy. Portsmouth is my insurance tooo! what course are you applying for

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    Without You :heart:

Though I sometimes find myself singing the lyrics of Swift's 'Wildest Dreams' to it That Taylor, stole Lana's tune
    I can be your China dollIf you want to see me fall

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    5% is 4 marks!!! Not ground breaking but could bump you up a grade.

It does seem insignificant though...
    Wait, how does it work then. Are the extra grades added based on the total amount of marks (so 80) or based on 5% of the marks you got in the exam? Not entirely sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UnknownAnon)
    Anyone else like watching youtube videos of people opening thier results?
    Mate I must have seen every results day video ever haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    anyone expecting bare A*s? no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Always focus on the academics - remember that an admissions tutor in a university has likely done a degree in the subject, a masters and a PhD and has now dedicated their professional life to researching and teaching that subject. They're absolutely focused on their subject (http://matt.might.net/articles/phd-school-in-pictures/ ) and they're looking for that level of excitement and focus from their applicants.

Any PS is only being evaluated to check 3 things:
    a) does the applicant know what they're applying for (if it's clear they've got no clue what the degree is about or where it will get them then that's usually a rejection)
    b) does the applicant have the interest and motivation to stick out this course for 3+ year (that's where talking about topics/work you're looking forward to, research on your subject/career outside of your curriculum etc demonstrate a clear dedication)
    c) does the applicant have the necessary non-academic skills/attributes to succeed on the course (usually this isn't covered - for vocational courses this is where discussion of work experience and shadowing and reflection on what you know about the course/career and yourself become very important).

When you read your PS if content isn't ticking off one of those three things then it doesn't need to be there.
    Wow thanks for the advice it's really helpful! Made it a lot clearer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gp1208)
    I need AAB for Pharmacy. Portsmouth is my insurance tooo! what course are you applying for
    Business Management (Marketing). So not exactly the same kind of subject :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemstudent314)
    nope have you? biomedicine wbu?
    haven't heard anything yet either. and I'm applying for pharmacy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToastiestZombie)
    Wait, how does it work then. Are the extra grades added based on the total amount of marks (so 80) or based on 5% of the marks you got in the exam? Not entirely sure.
    the percentage is of raw marks not the marks you get.

(Original post by kingofacademics)
    I can be your China dollIf you want to see me fall
    Boy you're so dope, so dope, your love is deadly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by target21859)
    Could this mean I'm in or is it just a standard answer. It's just the "you will receive..." bit makes it sound like I got in
    Standard email to cover their arse when someone doesn't get an accommodation offer, so doesn't accept it and ends up room-less because of their spam filter.
    (Original post by Aph)
    Unis aren't capped by facilities actually. Plus STEM subjects are loss making for unis so they don't go up for making money.
    In some courses they are, in some subjects they are (I've worked at universities where they had to introduce 8am or 6pm lectures (or shock horror wednesday afternoon) in order to fit all the additional students into the timetable, in other cases they had to split a cohort in order to teach because the lecture halls or the labs couldn't accommodation the students...and then there was the year we had teaching capacity but couldn't advertise in clearing or take missed grade applicants because we guaranteed accommodation and the accommodation team had over-offered rooms to continuing students and there wasn't space in halls for additional freshers). All those things *can* be sorted out but they're tricky to manage in 1-2 months.
    (Original post by JPFM)
    Why are most courses at Lancaster uni in clearing?
    Clearing lists are still provisional - check again tomorrow morning for a more accurate list

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    Boy you're so dope, so dope, your love is deadly
    Hello? Hello? Cc can you hear me?

ReputationRep:
    I have been anxious for days ahcjcijierhei

(Original post by JohnGreek)
    anyone expecting bare A*s? no?
    Yes g

Bare as in no A*

ReputationRep:
    I am probably stupid for not already knowing this ; ) But can anyone tell me if I will get an email at midnight on Thursday confirming from my chosen University if I have a place or not. Or, do I just have to wait ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Standard email to cover their arse when someone doesn't get an accommodation offer, so doesn't accept it and ends up room-less because of their spam filter.

In some courses they are, in some subjects they are (I've worked at universities where they had to introduce 8am or 6pm lectures (or shock horror wednesday afternoon) in order to fit all the additional students into the timetable, in other cases they had to split a cohort in order to teach because the lecture halls or the labs couldn't accommodation the students...and then there was the year we had teaching capacity but couldn't advertise in clearing or take missed grade applicants because we guaranteed accommodation and the accommodation team had over-offered rooms to continuing students and there wasn't space in halls for additional freshers). All those things *can* be sorted out but they're tricky to manage in 1-2 months.

Clearing lists are still provisional - check again tomorrow morning for a more accurate list
    Wednesday afternoon lectures?! I mean 8AM or 6PM lectures fair enough but you can't take Wednesday afternoon away

And I know these things can happen (unis can't get their numbers right all the time) but it'd be a nightmare I can imagine. I remember looking round keele uni a few years ago and they said that its common that they over subscribe so because they garuntee accommodation they force students to share single rooms almost every year, it put me off a lot.

I just don't see how a uni can get its estimates of how many students will get in so wrong that it has to split the year in 2 though... I could understand going 10% over in one department but surely their statistical models about who will firm/insure/reject and then fail to meet their grades can't go that off kilter can they? I mean that's a lot of variables which all have to line up which are all unlikely to happen on their own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Wednesday afternoon lectures?! I mean 8AM or 6PM lectures fair enough but you can't take Wednesday afternoon away

And I know these things can happen (unis can't get their numbers right all the time) but it'd be a nightmare I can imagine. I remember looking round keele uni a few years ago and they said that its common that they over subscribe so because they garuntee accommodation they force students to share single rooms almost every year, it put me off a lot.

I just don't see how a uni can get its estimates of how many students will get in so wrong that it has to split the year in 2 though... I could understand going 10% over in one department but surely their statistical models about who will firm/insure/reject and then fail to meet their grades can't go that off kilter can they? I mean that's a lot of variables which all have to line up which are all unlikely to happen on their own.
    Things do change a lot though - acceptance rates can jump up and down by a lot (and if a course is operating close to the top of the largest lecture theatre (or lab) then just a few extra students makes a big difference). Then you get funny situations like other university behaviour influencing things - if you have 500+ applicants with you as insurance to one other university then you're very much at the mercy of that university....if they accept everyone then you lose ~50 students, if they reject everyone who is marginal then you could end up with 150 more than expected.

And then you get some modules which teach students from a range of courses - so it isn't until a week or so after results that anyone notices that a first year maths module has more students on that the largest lecture theatre and so you have to split the group and teach every lecture twice.

There are so many variables involved that it's impossible to predict well - the best you can do is build in some tolerance and plan for last minute fluctuations....and universities aren't particularly great at crisis management

ReputationRep:
    Hey

Good luck everybody - All of your hard work will definitely pay off!

If you need any help finding your perfect accommodation do not hesitate to get in touch!

Sophie
    www.vitastudent.com

ReputationRep:
    Just looked at both of my university's. Both offering clearing for my course. ****. Is this a bad thing or a good thing ? Thoughts ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Things do change a lot though - acceptance rates can jump up and down by a lot (and if a course is operating close to the top of the largest lecture theatre (or lab) then just a few extra students makes a big difference). Then you get funny situations like other university behaviour influencing things - if you have 500+ applicants with you as insurance to one other university then you're very much at the mercy of that university....if they accept everyone then you lose ~50 students, if they reject everyone who is marginal then you could end up with 150 more than expected.

And then you get some modules which teach students from a range of courses - so it isn't until a week or so after results that anyone notices that a first year maths module has more students on that the largest lecture theatre and so you have to split the group and teach every lecture twice.

There are so many variables involved that it's impossible to predict well - the best you can do is build in some tolerance and plan for last minute fluctuations....and universities aren't particularly great at crisis management
    Ahhh okay, I personally don't think many educational institution is good in a crisis/quick decision making. It's just from all my talks with admission tutors I assumes that the tolerance was quite a bit and they made sure that unless some exceedingly weird stuff happens they can never be over subscribed. Maybe they gave me too much false confidence in them :lol: I remember Aberdeen hitting the news a few years ago for them having really messed up with student accommodation so I know it's possible I just assumed very uncommon.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.