Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bammy jastard 27)
    De Bruyne said himself that Pep hasn't changed a lot but has more attention to detail. I guess City aren't as vulnerable defensively as before(although still not great) and their style is causing them to score loads of goals.

Also if you watched Chelsea under Mourinho the entire calendar year of 2015 we played like you under Van Gaal against small teams and defended like a ***** in big games with no way to get out on counters so it was funny to think that the style of football would change in that sense.

It's not even that bad. You just need to win vs Feyenoord at home(which you will) and you will go through.
    Except in the final third you lot were much more fluid. Maybe that is down to individuals but we've got more than enough players who are capable of linking up play and interchanging, yet they just stand still or go out wide and cross for fun.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rk2k14)
    Except in the final third you lot were much more fluid. Maybe that is down to individuals but we've got more than enough players who are capable of linking up play and interchanging, yet they just stand still or go out wide and cross for fun.
    Did you actually watch Chelsea in 2015(the calendar year)? We were fluid in the sense that Hazard would interchange positions but our football was far from fluid and the pace of our attacks were so slow because Costa was never in support. He ends up then on left wing and we have no reference point, now Ibra does something similar, he moves deeper but again no reference point. (not basing this on today but on other games)

Chelsea's issue was that wingers stayed too deep and then we can't get enough players high up the pitch to stretch defences and pull apart midfields, also Ivanovic was used because he pushes high up and was good on goal kicks. Our football was not fluid and was always played in front of a defence rather than behind it. Take it this way, Chelsea now look good on the counter and get behind or run in front of an unprotected defence quite regularly now, yet you lot still have issues with getting behind defences, even with Ibra you have Martial Mkhitaryan Rashford and Lingard to be able to do that stuff. I think the problem is clearly Mourinho.

Take it this way, every Mourinho team has had issues facing teams that defend deep, it was never Mourinho's strength breaking down these teams, which is why Mourinho is heralded as a big game manager.

Anyway think Shaw is probably a big reason why you lot lost form.

ReputationRep:
    Why doesn't Rooney do that more often

(Original post by Dirtybit)
    Something is just not right at all at United and it's deeper than the manager
    Mourinho getting preferential treatment again. Why was this never said under LvG?

ReputationRep:
    Poor positioning from De Gea for that goal. Been conceding a lot recently. We need Dave to fix up.

Our attack aren't gonna do him any favours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)

Mourinho getting preferential treatment again. Why was this never said under LvG?
    Honestly LVG was way more whacky, people are just forgetting. LVG would have benched Pogba by now ffs. The guy used to say he thinks we played good when it was clear we were shite. In any case I will give more time to review Mourinho, I never starting calling for LVG's head a 4 months in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)

Tbf people did give LVG time and when there were calls here that he was doing a bad job you lot defended him. I think by January if this continues though(which I won't be surprised if this happens) people will start to wake up and smell the coffee.

Time for Mourinho to go into international management.

ReputationRep:
    Mourinho seems lost when we're up against it. Adapt ffs.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly LVG was way more whacky, people are just forgetting. LVG would have benched Pogba by now ffs. The guy used to say he thinks we played good when it was clear we were shite. In any case I will give more time to review Mourinho, I never starting calling for LVG's head a 4 months in.
    I agree, we did give LvG time and the firing was very fair. But people seem a lot more willing to give Mourinho a lot more time than him, regardless of our performances.

ReputationRep:
    If you had it, you wouldnt know what to do with it, but you dont have it, so dont sweat it xxx

ReputationRep:
    Honestly LVG was way more whacky, people are just forgetting. LVG would have benched Pogba by now ffs.
    Pogba would be benched for good reason...
    The guy used to say he thinks we played good when it was clear we were shite. In any case I will give more time to review Mourinho, I never starting calling for LVG's head a 4 months in.
    LVG was clearly saying that for the lols, he was also more likeable as a person.

ReputationRep:

LVG was clearly saying that for the lols, he was also more likeable as a person.
    Wait you think Pogba should be benched?

ReputationRep:
    De Bruyne said himself that Pep hasn't changed a lot but has more attention to detail. I guess City aren't as vulnerable defensively as before(although still not great) and their style is causing them to score loads of goals.

Also if you watched Chelsea under Mourinho the entire calendar year of 2015 we played like you under Van Gaal against small teams and defended like a ***** in big games with no way to get out on counters so it was funny to think that the style of football would change in that sense.

It's not even that bad. You just need to win vs Feyenoord at home(which you will) and you will go through.
    Final paragraph is very sensible.

Pogba is playing well, not his fault Zlatan can't finish his dinner lol.

LVG would have called him Pete or something though.

Read above

ReputationRep:
    Wait you think Pogba should be benched?
    He don't fit the system in a 2 and there are better attacking midfielders.

If you're playing a midfield three or a 4-4-2 diamond then he's fantastic, if you're playing 4-2-3-1 then his best position is the bench.

ReputationRep:
    He don't fit the system in a 2 and there are better attacking midfielders.

If you're playing a midfield three or a 4-4-2 diamond then he's fantastic, if you're playing 4-2-3-1 then his best position is the bench.
    Asked this before, but no one could answer. What does Pogba even do? He's not a destroyer, not a regista, not an AM, and an average ball carrier. Nothing to command a starting spot really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swirly)
    Asked this before, but no one could answer. What does Pogba even do? He's not a destroyer, not a regista, not an AM, and an average ball carrier. Nothing to command a starting spot really.
    He shoots a lot and eventually one flies in?

Basically a completely inefficient Frank Lampard. I find it funny he doesn't get the criticism that Ozil gets. Maybe because it's United and their players are exempt to criticism in the media.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swirly)
    He shoots a lot and eventually one flies in?

Basically a completely inefficient Frank Lampard. I find it funny he doesn't get the criticism that Ozil gets. Maybe because it's United and their players are exempt to criticism in the media.
    Before this summer how many times had you guys watched Pogba play?

He is a box-to-box midfielder who played best at Juventus driving/linking from midfield, creating overloads then cutting inside and helping to control the tempo of the game.

The Pogba of this season isnt even half the player of last year considering Martial, Smalling, Rashford, Ibrahimovic, Mkhitaryan, Blind, Shaw, Rooney and others are playing way below their level it seems odd to criticise Pogba and not Mourinho, whose job it is to get each player playing to the best of his ability.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mojojojo101)
    Before this summer how many times had you guys watched Pogba play?

He is a box-to-box midfielder who played best at Juventus driving/linking from midfield, creating overloads then cutting inside and helping to control the tempo of the game.
    Das it, tell them

ReputationRep:
    Das it, tell them
    Are we gonna act like you were actually watching Pogba at Juventus? :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trapking)
    Are we gonna act like you were actually watching Pogba at Juventus? :lol:
    I binged watched 2 hours worth of gameplay of Pogba only which was equivalent to nearly every single touch (good or bad) he had in his career at Juventus, u mad!!!!

ReputationRep:
    The only word missing from the Mourinho press conference was: betrayed. The comments about passing his experience onto the players etc was reminiscent after Chelsea's loss to Leicester last season and his post-match interview - it doesn't reflect well on him that his players aren't taking in his information.

It was a lacklustre performance and it's surprising from a Mourinho team with whom intensity in the past was a key aspect of his sides. Rooney scored his goal well but had he had a decent touch in the first half, he could have scored an easier goal. That's what his game will be from now on: missing the sitters and scoring a good strike here and there.

Mourinho sending Mkhitaryan on, 2-0 down, summed it up in relation to his belief in him and post-match he repeated similiar comments he has said before. He has to do more he says yet many other players in the squad need to do more!

It won't be long before Schweinsteiger is back in the team at this rate and why not? He's got a point to prove and he might show more of his truer qualities than he did last season under Van Gaal.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 17, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.