Question for Atheists Watch

Aeolus
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by bansheeee*)
I believe in A god , i don't know what form god takes, but I just have faith in a god. I'm not saying there's proof, if everything were fact there'd be no need for beliefs would there?

So you admit that your god is just as possible as anybody elses god? After all i don't doubt there are those around the world who posess the same level of faith in their gods as you do in yours?
bb193
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The holy bible..
I pray for help sometimes or I pray to St.Anthony when I've lost something, I don't pray for stupid things, If you have true faith god will always answer your prayers.
Maybe we could all start a list of non-stupid things for you to pray for, in the sure and certain knowledge that since you have true faith, the prayers will be answered?

How about:-
  1. For someone to discover a simple and affordable cure for AIDS?
  2. The Haitian earthquake disaster never to have happened, and for the tens of thousands of people who are dead not to be so?
  3. For someone to discover the way to harness cold water fusion energy and give this discovery to everyone, solving all the world's energy problems and eliminating all the present and future suffering caused by man-made climate change overnight?
  4. For humanity to come to an overnight blinding revelation that everyone should be treated equally, with no descrimination on the basis of gender, race, religion (including no religion), disability, age, cast, nationality or anything else - and for them to start treating people in that way?
  5. For the world's food resources to be distributed equally, so the 50% of the world that are starving get enough food and water, and the 10% that are killing themselves through obesity have food taken from them so they become healthy?

I don't think any of those are stupid - could you let us know which one you pick and when the prayers are answered, I think there is a high chance we will all believe.

Or if not, maybe you would let us know what non-stupid things you have prayed for, and how the prayers were answered?
Lindsey123
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
As a child I went to a CofE primary school. I used to pray to God every night that I could get a rabbit. When I eventually had the opportunity to get a rabbit, I decided not to get one as I preferred my guinea pigs.

I don't remember what this made me think about God at the time - just thought I would share a funny story.
bb193
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Lindsey123)
As a child I went to a CofE primary school. I used to pray to God every night that I could get a rabbit. When I eventually had the opportunity to get a rabbit, I decided not to get one as I preferred my guinea pigs.

I don't remember what this made me think about God at the time - just thought I would share a funny story.
I might imagine that it depends if you want a pet or a pie. But then, what do I know, I've never eaten a guinea pig.
meowmeowmutiny
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by bb193)
I might imagine that it depends if you want a pet or a pie. But then, what do I know, I've never eaten a guinea pig.
Hmm. Last time I ate rabbit it was a stew (I ordered it to have the dumpings~). Oddly enough it tasted vaguely like rabbit. Which was strange as the one time I'd tried it before it tasted like duck.
bansheeee*
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by bb193)
Maybe we could all start a list of non-stupid things for you to pray for, in the sure and certain knowledge that since you have true faith, the prayers will be answered?

Or if not, maybe you would let us know what non-stupid things you have prayed for, and how the prayers were answered?
I pray for help sometimes, not for miracles.
bansheeee*
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Aeolus)
So you admit that your god is just as possible as anybody elses god? After all i don't doubt there are those around the world who posess the same level of faith in their gods as you do in yours?
It doesn't matter what form god takes, I just have faith in A god.
meowmeowmutiny
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It doesn't matter what form god takes, I just have faith in A god.
bb193
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I quite like the debate about virtual reality. It goes something like this.

As our technology develops, we create virtual realities that are closer and closer to physical realties. We create virtual worlds where entities that seem closer and closer to living exist. Things in those virtual worlds are now worth Billions in the real, physical world.

So as this technology develops, is it possible that we will create virtual worlds that are indistinguishable from the real world? Moore's law says that computing power doubles every 18 months - this exponential growth implies that yes, we will be able to do such a thing.

There is no evidence that, when we are able, we will not do so. The likelihood is that we will do, in vast numbers. We will make these things and give them to our kids to play with. There will be billions and billions of them.

If other intelligent beings exisited, would they do this too? Almost certainly - why would they not?

So then the question is - do we actually exisit in the 'real' universe, or one of these billions of virtual universes? Just probability suggests that it is highly unlikely that we live in the 'real' one - we are far more likely to live in one of the billions of virtual universes.

So might we be able to detect this? What would we expect to be able to see? Well, we might expect that some of the fine detail of the virtual world might be fuzzy as the computer struggles to compute the fine detail. At tiny scales, this might start to behave erratically, to do unexpected things - sort of like quantum physics. On a really huge scale, we might start to see odd things too, as the computer stuggles to deal with maintaining the enormous virtual reality - sort of like black holes, dark matter, dark energy etc.

So it seems as though the odds are that we are living in a virtual reality rather than a real universe. Anyone stepping forward to say that the kid that owns the virtual reality game we live in is the 'some sort of god' that people talk about? Any idea whether he is reasonably reliable as regards making certain that the batteries don't go flat?
Accalia
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Nothing I ever heard convinced me into believing in a particular religion. Don't get me wrong, I find the idea of religion very fascinating and think you should be able to believe whatever you want to believe, but I just couldn't apply religion to my personality. It doesn't work.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (137)
18.51%
No (449)
60.68%
Not really bothered about them (154)
20.81%

Watched Threads