Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ashfully)
    Really!?
    Where do you find them?
    This is the only thing that has stopped me from buying the kindle...because most of the time the paper version is cheaper than the kindle version.
    Please let me know!!
    There are probably some illegal websites being used there...

You can get all the classics for free though, I think 1000+ that are out of copyright. There are daily deals etc which will get you books for around 99p.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daydreamer18)
    That does make me really sad. A lot of less famous authors struggle to make a decent living and, although it's handy for us, illegally downloading eBooks isn't fair on the people who put so much time and effort into writing great fiction.

ReputationRep:
    That does make me really sad. A lot of authors struggle to make a decent living and, although it's handy for us, illegally downloading eBooks isn't fair on the people who put so much time and effort into writing great stories.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la-dauphine)
    That does make me really sad. A lot of less famous authors struggle to make a decent living and, although it's handy for us, illegally downloading eBooks isn't fair on the people who put so much time and effort into writing great fiction.
    But then again, I don't know how they can justify charging £7 or so for a kindle edition book. It's even more frustrating when the paper copy is cheaper! I don't understand it.. they don't have any of the printing costs etc, and having prices like that makes people more likely to illegally download!

ReputationRep:
    But then again, I don't know how they can justify charging £7 or so for a kindle edition book. It's even more frustrating when the paper copy is cheaper! I don't understand it.. they don't have any of the printing costs etc, and having prices like that makes people more likely to illegally download!
    Yeah, a lot of the time it makes more sense to buy a paper copy (which is what people should do instead of illegally downloading). It does seem very expensive for a 'virtual' book - maybe it's because Amazon takes a slice of the profits? :\

ReputationRep:
    Digital books are subject to VAT whereas print books are not.

As far as I'm aware anyway

ReputationRep:
    My Mum got me one for Christmas, and I absolutely love it. I love reading so much, but unfortunatly I don't have much space to keep books, so this is really handy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la-dauphine)
    That does make me really sad. A lot of authors struggle to make a decent living and, although it's handy for us, illegally downloading eBooks isn't fair on the people who put so much time and effort into writing great stories.
    While I'm not condoning piracy, it's worth pointing out that both ebook sales and mass-market paperbacks only give the author a pittance of the actual sale price. The initial hardback sales are where most authors make their money.

---

Yes, digital books are subject to VAT, which is mainly because they weren't around to be protected at the time that books were excluded. Sadly the government is fairly unlikely to decide to remove VAT on them, at least until ebooks are as popular with mainstream users as physical books are.. at which point they'd stand to lose a moderate amount of income by scrapping it anyway.

ReputationRep:
    It is so worth it - I read a lot more, and a lot more often - I'm out and about quite a lot and you can't cart a bag full of novels around with you on a bus or a train or in the car on a trip, so it's so much better to have a Kindle! The e-ink is amazing, it doesn't hurt your eyes and also, a lot of the books that aren't on offer on Amazon are on offer on other sites for free I have the entire works of Shakespeare on my kindle for free, and a subscription to Science Fiction and Fantasy Magazine every two months (also free)

I also use it for college - I have the set texts for English Lang & Lit, and one of the scripts for Drama on there, and you can make notes/highlight words on it too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madders94)
    It is so worth it - I read a lot more, and a lot more often - I'm out and about quite a lot and you can't cart a bag full of novels around with you on a bus or a train or in the car on a trip, so it's so much better to have a Kindle! The e-ink is amazing, it doesn't hurt your eyes and also, a lot of the books that aren't on offer on Amazon are on offer on other sites for free I have the entire works of Shakespeare on my kindle for free, and a subscription to Science Fiction and Fantasy Magazine every two months (also free)

I also use it for college - I have the set texts for English Lang & Lit, and one of the scripts for Drama on there, and you can make notes/highlight words on it too!
    What other sites do you use to find offers?

ReputationRep:
    What other sites do you use to find offers?
    Most books that are out of copyright can be found for free on Gutenberg. (There are others but their names escape me right now.)

ReputationRep:
    i dont know which one to choose from there are so many?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azraaa)
    i dont know which one to choose from there are so many?
    Get one with a keypad, and 3G.

ReputationRep:
    I second the keypad, but for me personally I didn't think 3G was necessary as you only need it if you want to download books somewhere without Wi-Fi, and it's not at all inconvenient as I'd probably only want to buy books at home or in my room at uni. Your choice, though - it just depends on your budget and on how much you think you'll need to use 3G.

ReputationRep:
    Amazon kindle!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whatsername2009)
    I second the keypad, but for me personally I didn't think 3G was necessary as you only need it if you want to download books somewhere without Wi-Fi, and it's not at all inconvenient as I'd probably only want to buy books at home or in my room at uni. Your choice, though - it just depends on your budget and on how much you think you'll need to use 3G.
    I guess it depends on what else you have. I've often wished my kindle had 3G so I could look things up if I was out (using the internet browser), or download the paper on the go kind of thing.

ReputationRep:
    I really recommend the Keyboard 3G one as mentioned above. I've only had mine for three days but really like it- very easy to use.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverspoonmess)
    I guess it depends on what else you have. I've often wished my kindle had 3G so I could look things up if I was out (using the internet browser), or download the paper on the go kind of thing.
    True - I only really use mine for reading ebooks, and don't even use the wi-fi much, as I can't connect to the university wireless network on it for some reason. So I actually buy books on my laptop and then copy them across to my Kindle using the USB cable rather than downloading them on to it directly, but obviously that's not ideal.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kindle-Wirel...6619087&sr=8-3

Get that one.

ReputationRep:
    Save yourself £60 and get the without keyboard one.

The keyboards crappy. It makes the process of navigating the in kindle book store easier (but still fiddly) but serves no other purpose. Unless I've got a specific title which I want right away I'll use a computer to look for new books so its only use is defunct.
    And the same with the 3G. Unless you travel a lot your unlikely to be away from wifi for more than a few days.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 25, 2012
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.