Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca-Sarah)
    Btw, why are you applying for bio eng?
    Out of the choices we have here, that is the only one that I feel that interests me personally. (We're not allowed to apply else where for after second year...have to wait til year 3 and 4, and even then we'd have to be ranked pretty high up )

I had thought about doing some sort of engineering before coming to med school at one point, so this is a good opportunity to do so

Tissue engineering sounds pretty awesome too :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FFCrusader)
    Out of the choices we have here, that is the only one that I feel that interests me personally. (We're not allowed to apply else where for after second year...have to wait til year 3 and 4, and even then we'd have to be ranked pretty high up )

I had thought about doing some sort of engineering before coming to med school at one point, so this is a good opportunity to do so

Tissue engineering sounds pretty awesome too :awesome:
    Ah, ok. I was torn between BioEng and Clinical Materials. My friend's doing a chemistry dissertation on making tissue scaffolds atm, that stuff is pretty interesting!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captain Crash)
    fMRI is massively overrated. Despite all the pretty pictures you see in journals, all it tells you is that some neuron is releasing neurotransmitters. It doesn't tell you where from or whether the neurotranmission is excitatory or inhibitory. Also, it's incredibly difficult to control for - I don't think any meaningful studies have managed to do it.
    Well for things like "Lie detectors" and even more interesting on sexuality - I can't get enough of it...especially to say to people who say being straight/gay is a choice...:facepalm:

Also today I spent 6 hours doing interrupted, continuous, subcuticular, mattress and under and over stitching. With lots of different kinds of suture - was really useful as when I was in clinics seeing all the different sutures of different gauges I was like wtf?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone going to the National Undergraduate General Surgery Conference at end of Feb?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone going to the National Undergraduate General Surgery Conference at end of Feb?
    I'm looking at that and the Association of Surgeons in Training conference in April - this one wins on price but there seems to be more careers info at ASiT.

The price goes up next week but I can't decide!

ReputationRep:
    No, but I'll be doing a lot of drinking. Kind of the same,aye?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubble Toes)
    I'm looking at that and the Association of Surgeons in Training conference in April - this one wins on price but there seems to be more careers info at ASiT.

The price goes up next week but I can't decide!
    I'd forgotten about ASIT! :facepalm: Meh, I'll do ASIT next year. The workshops at NUGSC look awesome!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThisLittlePiggy)
    No, but I'll be doing a lot of drinking. Kind of the same,aye?
    Yeh, but you're always doing a lot of drinking. What's so special about end of Feb? :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    I'd forgotten about ASIT! :facepalm: Meh, I'll do ASIT next year. The workshops at NUGSC look awesome!
    googled it, it looks awesome. are you going to be going from aberdeen? I might get in touch with people I know in London and see if I can stay with them, because otherwise I can't afford travel + ticket + accom. Does it matter if you're a first year do you think..?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah they do look good! I might go for it... but ASiT is timed pretty well for me this year (and I'm not sure I fancy it in the run up to finals next year). I might have to scrounge some money off my parents - or make it a birthday present.

I'm going to this next weekend, quite excited by these workshops too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lekky)
    googled it, it looks awesome. are you going to be going from aberdeen? I might get in touch with people I know in London and see if I can stay with them, because otherwise I can't afford travel + ticket + accom. Does it matter if you're a first year do you think..?
    Yeh, my flatmate and I are going down on the Friday afternoon, staying in a hostel 2 nights (like £25 each max) and he's flying back up on Sunday night - I'm stopping off at home for a few days. It doesn't say 1st years can't go...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubble Toes)
    Yeah they do look good! I might go for it... but ASiT is timed pretty well for me this year (and I'm not sure I fancy it in the run up to finals next year). I might have to scrounge some money off my parents - or make it a birthday present.

I'm going to this next weekend, quite excited by these workshops too!
    I officially hate not living in London. Would love to go to that! Is it an annual thing?

ReputationRep:
    I officially hate not living in London. Would love to go to that! Is it an annual thing?
    Yeah I think it is - this is only the second one though so it's still quite new.

ReputationRep:
    I have a spare room in my flat (SE London (zone 2)) which TSRers can crash in for this sort of thing if needed.

ReputationRep:
    If I mixed MAOIs and stilton, do you think I'd get enough of a buzz to finish revising my phys/pharm module?

ReputationRep:
    I feel I must be one of the only ones in my year who isn't really interested in doing a BSc, badtimes methinks.

In other news, I actually love Nandos.

ReputationRep:
    nandos is absolutely amazing!!

ReputationRep:
    I've never been.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fission_Mailed)
    I've never been.
    That's practically a crime. GO! :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    That's practically a crime. GO! :hmmm:
    You can't tell me what to do! I'm my own man!!!!

Do you reckon I could get the NHS discount if I flashed my hospital ID with my finger over the bit saying "medical student"?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.