The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I've still got my NHS card form when I used to work as a HCA. :shh:
Original post by crazylemon

Nope, our student IDs are programmed to let us into the places we are allowed to go unsupervised...Next year I might depending on the hospital.

We can just get in anywhere in the hospital, even if we're alone :p: Looks like we're trusted more :wink:
Reply 482
Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx
Do you not have any NHS ID card? I have one for our main hospital to get through all the doors?

I don't have one either :frown: We just have to use our uni ID when we go to the hospital. I assume I'll have to have one next year though.
We can just get in anywhere in the hospital, even if we're alone :p: Looks like we're trusted more :wink:

Jealous... ours let us into the medical school building after hours. No hospital access, not even access to the biomed building!
Loving the Nandos love my post has spawned!

We couldn't get discount though :frown:
Original post by Becca-Sarah

Jealous... ours let us into the medical school building after hours. No hospital access, not even access to the biomed building!

Ours is part of the main hospital anyway, and it's open 24/7 :smile: (Obviously you need the card to get in)
Ours is part of the main hospital anyway, and it's open 24/7 :smile: (Obviously you need the card to get in)

I discovered the hard way that the main doors of the hospital are locked at 10.30pm. :getmecoat:

I discovered the hard way that the main doors of the hospital are locked at 10.30pm. :getmecoat:

We have one door that's locked from 11pm to 6am. The other two (on the side of the hospital that I enter) are open all the time AFAIK.
Following on from last night's Nandos convo... I made homemade Nandos for tea :awesome: Peri-chicken, mushy minty peas, and chips. Nom.
Reply 489
Original post by Helenia
I have a spare room in my flat (SE London (zone 2)) which TSRers can crash in for this sort of thing if needed.

Are you sure? I might take you up on that at some point!

out campus buildings are timelocked for 11pm. I know several people who have only just made it out. I want to get my card upgraded to give me more access (as in I can get in/out at 2am), but I would have to work for the university...

Bizzarely I can access chemistry though...

:eek: That would terrify me!!! If you're locked in do you have to stay the whole night? :eek3:
Original post by lekky
Are you sure? I might take you up on that at some point!

What was this in regards to? Did I miss an invitation to a medics meet?!
Reply 492
I have to pick between 2 hospitals for FocP, that I've been to the grand total of once and they're both 20 miles away...why would I have any idea where I want to go?

In other news, I made a brachial plexus out of pipecleaners today.
Original post by Philosoraptor

MEDICS MEET!

buzzword was said, someone make a thread :colone:
Reply 494
Original post by Philosoraptor

No, for surgical conferencey things.

BUT there should be a medics meet. I finish A&E in a week, so it needs to happen as part of my real-world rehabilitation programme.
Random question...don't really know where to post it and I don't think it warrants its own thread. How important are publications for applications for not only F1 but also ST? Does it really give you loads of "brownie points"? I'm not planning to do a BMedSci due to possible Visa issues with the new immigration thing, so I was wondering if it is really worth it for me to work hard and try and get something published to make up not doing a BMedSci. I'm also hoping to do Orthopaedic Surgery in the future so I know it is competitive and I'll need an outstanding CV. Hopefully someone can answer this.

Thanks in advance. :smile:
Reply 496
G'day guys, I'm a 3rd year medical student from Western Sydney, Australia. I'm also about to embark on my first clinical rotation which is cardiology for the next 6 weeks :smile:. I also the medical moderator for the Australian version of TSR www.boredofstudies.org which recently got hacked and partially destroyed :frown: check out www.medstudentsonline.com.au if you eva wana talk to some Aussie med students!

Following on from last night's Nandos convo... I made homemade Nandos for tea :awesome: Peri-chicken, mushy minty peas, and chips. Nom.

Yum, I had the Paella from Nando's yesterday :biggrin:

out campus buildings are timelocked for 11pm. I know several people who have only just made it out. I want to get my card upgraded to give me more access (as in I can get in/out at 2am), but I would have to work for the university...

Bizzarely I can access chemistry though...

Most Australian medical students get 24 hour access to their medical school buildings, in Australia medical schools are not attached to hospitals, etc but on university campuses. Most international medical students who come here also don't understand why out library's close at 9pm, etc. Although I wish it was 24 hours, but yeah theres simply no demand for it here.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 497
Bah I loath neuroscience. Does anyone know an easy way to learn it?

also I am depressed at how prolific I am on TSR. In fact online in general. :sigh:

Essential Neuroscience, by Allan Siegel 2nd edn.
Almost certainly stopped a younger student from getting raped tonight.

I ****ing hate other human beings times.
Original post by magichearts
Random question...don't really know where to post it and I don't think it warrants its own thread. How important are publications for applications for not only F1 but also ST? Does it really give you loads of "brownie points"? I'm not planning to do a BMedSci due to possible Visa issues with the new immigration thing, so I was wondering if it is really worth it for me to work hard and try and get something published to make up not doing a BMedSci. I'm also hoping to do Orthopaedic Surgery in the future so I know it is competitive and I'll need an outstanding CV. Hopefully someone can answer this.

Thanks in advance. :smile:

I went to a couple of career evenings and the ST's there have all said the best way to get on to the course you want want is to get as many things published, audits done (and rechecked) and conferences talked at as you can. If you go onto all the royal college of.. websites to look at specialities, they will tell you what you can do to get points. Then it's a case of those with the most points get called to interview. In short, yes, they are important.

Latest

Trending

Trending