Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guyyyss
    I'm really keen on applying to Trinity this year for 2010 entry. I'm from Australia, Canberra to be precise, and have talked to an admissions tutor from another college about it. He told me that applying to Trinity as an international applicant would be extremely difficult as opposed to another college (like his). How competitive is it for someone like me to get into NatSci at Trinity (assuming I have the the best scores possible from Australia)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by It could be lupus)
    Ah thats ok, its just from what I heard wine is served quite often, and it is often a social drink that is served at many social gatherings, so to gain a taste for wine wouldn't be that bad. Maybe its just that the last wine I tried tasted of vinegar. Anyways, its worth a try as I always say :p:
    I guess, but you shouldn't be at all worried if you don't like wine. I don't drink any alcohol, and it's never done me any harm .

(Original post by supa360)
    Hey guyyyss
    I'm really keen on applying to Trinity this year for 2010 entry. I'm from Australia, Canberra to be precise, and have talked to an admissions tutor from another college about it. He told me that applying to Trinity as an international applicant would be extremely difficult as opposed to another college (like his). How competitive is it for someone like me to get into NatSci at Trinity (assuming I have the the best scores possible from Australia)?
    It sounds like he just wants you to apply to his college. There are plenty of internationals at Trinity, there's no reason why it would be any more difficult than any other college. NatSci is reasonably competitive, but not as much as say, law. If you have a good interview, I don't see why you can't get an offer .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simba)
    Nah, don't worry about this. At the Fresher's formal (and almost certainly other formals, don't know for sure, didn't go to any others), they let you have soda instead of wine if you didn't want wine. I think it was apple soda, can't remember, I had water anyway .
    It was probably the apple juice, which acts as standard wine substitute at formal because its bottle is wine-bottle-like.

Ah thats ok, its just from what I heard wine is served quite often, and it is often a social drink that is served at many social gatherings, so to gain a taste for wine wouldn't be that bad. Maybe its just that the last wine I tried tasted of vinegar. Anyways, its worth a try as I always say
    Wine is very common... it's not so much served at Trinity formal (except on special occasions) but everyone just seems to buy it and take along a bottle, as you have wine glasses provided and pennying is common (do you know what that is yet?) and wine is easy to share. I can't stand most wines, so I tend to drink the aforementioned apple juice. I'm never sure whether you're 'allowed' to have drinks other than wine/apple juice/water, but I have sneaked in coca cola before (it looks like red wine when in a glass) and I'm sure my boyfriend bought ale or something from the buttery and drank that instead at one point last year.

ReputationRep:
    The accent thing wont help me too much, I cant tell too much of a difference between different regions accents in England yet, just all general English accents :yep: similar most likely to yourself with different Irish regions accents

I will bring quite a few people with me sure, and we might bring along some drink with us. You would need a lot to get me drunk, unless I haven't ate. What do you drink out of interest? I would say we could all head to the offlicense to get some stuff or even try the College bar for more Freshers. You will be fine once you get speaking, beleive me
    Yeah that's fair enough to say that you won't be au fait with all of the regional accents in England, but the Liverpool accent is really famous. If you're not familiar with it, google it and you'll find out just how horrendous an accent it is.

And cool, I'll be there pretty much all day on Saturday I think so bring as many people as you want and we'll form a posse . I'm a beer/cider man myself (I'm rather keen on my continental ale) but I'm not that picky, I'll have anything really. And yeah I like this idea, I'm up for heading down to the college bar/off licence as it would be a good way to break some ice, definitely. If you do decide to carry it through, just let me know and I'll come and have a beer or two .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Liana*)
    Wine is very common... it's not so much served at Trinity formal (except on special occasions) but everyone just seems to buy it and take along a bottle, as you have wine glasses provided and pennying is common (do you know what that is yet?) and wine is easy to share. I can't stand most wines, so I tend to drink the aforementioned apple juice. I'm never sure whether you're 'allowed' to have drinks other than wine/apple juice/water, but I have sneaked in coca cola before (it looks like red wine when in a glass) and I'm sure my boyfriend bought ale or something from the buttery and drank that instead at one point last year.
    I would be able to drink ale no problem, and would not mind buying it and being able to drink it, though I didn't thin you were allowed to?

I do not have a clue what pennying is :lol:

I'll break myself into wine when I arrive, and mayb, maybe develop a liking for wine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Liana*)
    I'm never sure whether you're 'allowed' to have drinks other than wine/apple juice/water, but I have sneaked in coca cola before (it looks like red wine when in a glass) and I'm sure my boyfriend bought ale or something from the buttery and drank that instead at one point last year.
    Hmm, I don't see why on earth you wouldn't be allowed to drink cola or anything else - if anything it would be logical that they'd prefer people drinking cola than wine since there's less chance of people getting really drunk and doing stupid stuff on the college grounds. And even if there was some bizarre rule about not being allowed other drinks, no one realistically will take it upon themselves to kick up a big enough fuss to report you, I'm sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaoPaolo90)
    Yeah that's fair enough to say that you won't be au fait with all of the regional accents in England, but the Liverpool accent is really famous. If you're not familiar with it, google it and you'll find out just how horrendous an accent it is.

And cool, I'll be there pretty much all day on Saturday I think so bring as many people as you want and we'll form a posse . I'm a beer/cider man myself (I'm rather keen on my continental ale) but I'm not that picky, I'll have anything really. And yeah I like this idea, I'm up for heading down to the college bar/off licence as it would be a good way to break some ice, definitely. If you do decide to carry it through, just let me know and I'll come and have a beer or two .
    I am sure I will quickly find out the accents. Its just it will not be accents I am used to, whereas I could tell where abouts people live in Ireland according to their accent.

:woo: Sounds like an idea. I will let you know a few days before if the plan is still on, and I will write down your room to find you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simba)
    Hmm, I don't see why on earth you wouldn't be allowed to drink cola or anything else - if anything it would be logical that they'd prefer people drinking cola than wine since there's less chance of people getting really drunk and doing stupid stuff on the college grounds. And even if there was some bizarre rule about not being allowed other drinks, no one realistically will take it upon themselves to kick up a big enough fuss to report you, I'm sure.
    I asked in the buttery once. Soft drinks (I had sprite) at formal are fine.

ReputationRep:
    I got my accommodation information this morning. Blue Boar O, which isn't marked on the map I've got (it skips from Blue Boar H to Blue Boar P). The list of furniture makes it sound pretty big, although it doesn't mention a desk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tempeststurm)
    I got my accommodation information this morning. Blue Boar O, which isn't marked on the map I've got (it skips from Blue Boar H to Blue Boar P). The list of furniture makes it sound pretty big, although it doesn't mention a desk.
    Hmm, there's bound to be some sort of desk. There was a perfectly good desk in both Blue Boar O rooms I've been in. It's perhaps worth bringing up to the porters that your inventory lists no desk, as the inventory is what they look at at the end of the year to determine whether everything is there that's meant to be and so on. Maybe the 'desk' just has been given a funny name :p: ? There were a couple of items on my inventory list last year that I had to ask my parents what they were in standard English ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simba)
    Hmm, there's bound to be some sort of desk. There was a perfectly good desk in both Blue Boar O rooms I've been in. It's perhaps worth bringing up to the porters that your inventory lists no desk, as the inventory is what they look at at the end of the year to determine whether everything is there that's meant to be and so on. Maybe the 'desk' just has been given a funny name :p: ? There were a couple of items on my inventory list last year that I had to ask my parents what they were in standard English ...
    Re-checking the list, it says there is "Table - Small Dining". So I guess that is actually the desk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tempeststurm)
    Re-checking the list, it says there is "Table - Small Dining". So I guess that is actually the desk.
    Nah, that won't be it surely, I had one of those, that's a really low table that if you ate food at you'd end up with a sore back and a sore neck :p: . Luckily in our kitchen there's a nice two-seater table with chairs .

I do not have a clue what pennying is :lol:
    Sorry, didn't see this.

It's a tradition where when a penny is thrown into your wine, you're supposed to drink it all in one go. Also you can penny someone's dessert, in which case they have to eat it using their hands. As something to soften the blow, they get to keep the penny when they're done. There are a couple of other 'rules' too, and if you don't want to take part in pennying, you don't need to - I was worried about that !

It occasionally happens at the normal meals too; I can remember one guy had his soup pennied, and another guy had his ice cream pennied. In both cases they opted to drink it directly from the bowl :lol: ...

ReputationRep:
    Don't some of the rooms in Blue Boar O have a sort of built in arrangement with shelves, cupboards and a desk? Painted white? That probably wouldn't be on an inventory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zedliv)
    Don't some of the rooms in Blue Boar O have a sort of built in arrangement with shelves, cupboards and a desk? Painted white? That probably wouldn't be on an inventory.
    I can recall one Blue Boar O room I went in having shelves and cupboards, but he certainly had a separate desk that his computer was on. Ah well, it's not like they'll not provide a desk of some form or other, so it's not really worth worrying too much about .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simba)
    Sorry, didn't see this.

It's a tradition where when a penny is thrown into your wine, you're supposed to drink it all in one go. Also you can penny someone's dessert, in which case they have to eat it using their hands. As something to soften the blow, they get to keep the penny when they're done. There are a couple of other 'rules' too, and if you don't want to take part in pennying, you don't need to - I was worried about that !

It occasionally happens at the normal meals too; I can remember one guy had his soup pennied, and another guy had his ice cream pennied. In both cases they opted to drink it directly from the bowl :lol: ...
    Does that mean you could drop a penny in someones bottle of wine and they have to down it? If so I don't think I will take part. Downing a bottle wine = :sick: :sadnod:

This sounds really fun though, and I might take part. Definitly a good form of entertainment at dinner :yep: We do it with a golf club when we are at the bar in our local rugby club. Of course the ball is cleaned

ReputationRep:
    Does that mean you could drop a penny in someones bottle of wine and they have to down it? If so I don't think I will take part. Downing a bottle wine = :sick: :sadnod:

This sounds really fun though, and I might take part. Definitly a good form of entertainment at dinner :yep: We do it with a golf club when we are at the bar in our local rugby club. Of course the ball is cleaned
    Hahaha :p: I suppose there's no harm in trying!

Mmm, I never really liked the idea of pennying myself; those pennies probably have so many nasty germs on them :p: ...

ReputationRep:
    The glass, lupus. :yep:

You need an education, m'lad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simba)
    Hahaha :p: I suppose there's no harm in trying!

Mmm, I never really liked the idea of pennying myself; those pennies probably have so many nasty germs on them :p: ...
    There never is but I am not doing the wine bottle :lol:

If the wine is strong enough, it will kill any bacteria in it so you do not need to worry about that :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Canned Door)
    The glass, lupus. :yep:

You need an education, m'lad.
    I knew it was the glass, but I was speaking hypothetically :p:

ReputationRep:
    i'm thinking that you should talk some more about blue boar O... please?

University open days

• University of Chichester
    Multiple Departments Undergraduate
    Thu, 25 Oct '18
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 26 Oct '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.