Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Anti-Americanism watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rusty33)
    Why in the world would we WANT to go to other countries when people like Ally are there?
    Why would you want to be in the US when people like:

Michael Moore/Anne Coulter are there

(delete according to taste).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bismarck)
    Because a quarter of them know absolutely nothing about the subject. Using Occam's Razor, I just assume that it has a lousy selection committee.

Lol - yes - LSE are certainly money hungry and I know why ... they want to rival schools that can charge 30k a year and up ... but they do favour those with deep wallets (ie international students) over quality.

Good thing people like you help keep standards up hey?
    Most people in high office are in their 50s; does it really matter what they did when they were 20? Kerry did worse at school than Bush, yet no one claimed he was a dunce.
    [/COLOR]

Certainly - but this isn’t really (for me) about Kerry - it is GENUINELY simply about the impression I get about Bush's intellect. He comes across as incredibly average, and that’s not what we should expect from leaders. Being erudite isn’t the be all and end all - and far too many focus in on that alone - but when I say I see no evidence that he has much intelligence - I am pointed to his schooling - I then contend what I have...

[COLOR=black]
    (Original post by [/COLOR)
    Bismarck]Yes he is, but I don't think anyone would seriously propose an intelligence test for politicians...

Certainly not ... but surely intellect should be a factor?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vienna)
    Leaders should be able to lead. You'll rarely find a politician or minister who is at the top of their field. Certainly the idea that the President of the United States should be wildly intellectual is plain nonsense. Why do you think they have advisers for?

Out of interest, is your name Ally?
    They need to be intellectual if they want the respect of the British people. Before you say anything about that most british politicians don't get any respect either, they just whinge about the fact less than the americans. British people are sarcy and a lot of them are philistines. Most of our comediens ARE intellectuals, and find it comical that politicians are not up to scratch. This is where 'american bashing' comes from. We can only take an impression from what you show us and we see more of your politicians, TV stars and entrepeneurs with no education, than we see of your scientists. Therefore, you must expect us to respond accordingly

No my name isnt ally. Its an ironic micky-take of the stupid american show allymcbeal because I will be studying law next year and I am quite fat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allymcb2)
    I will be studying law next year and I am quite fat.
    Lol .. nicely said

ALso - good choice on teddy hall - very pretty college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    I think that its wrong to say materialism is frowned upon... sure its relative - but we look up to and envy the wealthy as much as most...

I genuinely think Americans care less about and are less interested in the rest of the world than Europeans...

having said that - I like americans and get on better with them than anyone else... I dont generally like Brits... and I can understand WHY Americans are like that ... but I think it would be better if the culture lent itself more to curiosity about other places.
    Ahem, I'm careful with my words. I do believe i said "more frowned upon," which one will most likely agree can be easily stated in a side-by-side comparison.

I'll agree with your idea that Americans tend to care less about the rest of the world, though I don't think the reasoning is due to a lack of curiosity, but due to a sense of propriety about trying to mind one's own business. This isn't to say that Americans actually succeed in doing this, but it is a frequently idealized behavior.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vienna)
    Certainly the idea that the President of the United States should be wildly intellectual is plain nonsense. ?
    Perhaps not wildly intellectual, but representing the US, slightly intellectual would be beneficial,

"Do you have blacks, too?" — George W. to Brazilian President Fernando Cardoso, Washington, D.C., Nov. 8, 2001

"I don't know why you're talking about Sweden. They're the neutral one. They don't have an army." —during a Dec. 2002 Oval Office meeting with Rep. Tom Lantos, as reported by the New York Times

"I trust God speaks through me. Without that, I couldn't do my job." —to a group of Amish he met with privately, July 9, 2004

"Too many good docs are getting out of the business. Too many OB-GYNs aren't able to practice their love with women all across this country." —Poplar Bluff, Mo., Sept. 6, 2004

"My plan reduces the national debt, and fast. So fast, in fact, that economists worry that we're going to run out of debt to retire." —radio address, Feb. 24, 2001

"Oh, no, we're not going to have any casualties." —discussing the Iraq war with Christian Coalition founder Pat Robertson, as quoted by Robertson

"Haven't we already given money to rich people? Why are we going to do it again?" —to economic advisers discussing a second round of tax cuts, as quoted by former Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neil, Washington, D.C., Nov. 26, 2002

The only comparable world leader I can think of for gaffes, and general stupid coments is the departed Berlusconi - and at least his comments were humurous, and intended. I would argue that the American culture, values and attitudes as opposed to "stupidity", however are a greater basis for his re election.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    Lol - yes - LSE are certainly money hungry and I know why ... they want to rival schools that can charge 30k a year and up ... but they do favour those with deep wallets (ie international students) over quality.
    I'm sure this is true for undergrads, but all postgrads pay the same, whether they're EU-nationals or not.

Certainly - but this isn’t really (for me) about Kerry - it is GENUINELY simply about the impression I get about Bush's intellect. He comes across as incredibly average, and that’s not what we should expect from leaders. Being erudite isn’t the be all and end all - and far too many focus in on that alone - but when I say I see no evidence that he has much intelligence - I am pointed to his schooling - I then contend what I have...
    I'm sure intelligence does play a factor, but apparently most Americans think that his other qualities make up for a deficiency in this one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychic_satori)
    Ahem, I'm careful with my words. I do believe i said "more frowned upon," which one will most likely agree can be easily stated in a side-by-side comparison.
    True - my fault - Im getting drunk in order to try and fall asleep at a decent time...

However - by most standards the UK is very materialistic.

I'll agree with your idea that Americans tend to care less about the rest of the world, though I don't think the reasoning is due to a lack of curiosity, but due to a sense of propriety about trying to mind one's own business. This isn't to say that Americans actually succeed in doing this, but it is a frequently idealized behavior.
    Lol .. I wouldnt agree really - I dont think people in the US are saying "gosh I wish I knew more about the Nepalese, but, it just seems plain nosey to find out about em ... "

Im not saying politically - but culturally, or even merely geographically.

I think that the more you ignore the rest of the world, the more you tend to ignore the fact that there are other interests to cosnider in this world ...

But again - as I say - I get on better with yanks than any other people... so much so that Im marrying one (though granted she has a vineyard - so I couldnt say no).

ReputationRep:
    Bismark I sincerely hope you are not a postgraduate at LSE.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pugnacious)
    "My plan reduces the national debt, and fast. So fast, in fact, that economists worry that we're going to run out of debt to retire." —radio address, Feb. 24, 2001
    That's actually quite funny.

The only comparable world leader I can think of for gaffes, and general stupid coments is the departed Berlusconi - and at least his comments were humurous, and intended. I would argue that the American culture, values and attitudes as opposed to "stupidity", however are a greater basis for his re election.
    Just look at the things Mr. Chirac has said lately.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure this is true for undergrads, but all postgrads pay the same, whether they're EU-nationals or not.
    True .. although LSE is ridiculous ... for my LLM there they wanted 12k or so from me - Oxford wanted 4500... I dont see how LSE can justify that.

I'm sure intelligence does play a factor, but apparently most Americans think that his other qualities make up for a deficiency in this one.
    Or at least they prefer it to Kerry.

I would love to see McCain run and win... means I could actually support a Republican ... which is actually economically where I lean.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah- and they did a great job of minding their own business about Iraq didnt they? Or rather their own businessES

ReputationRep:
    Just look at the things Mr. Chirac has said lately.
    Yeah - but he's a ****ing moron.

ReputationRep:
    (QUOTE)

I would love to see McCain run and win... means I could actually support a Republican ... which is actually economically where I lean.[/QUOTE]
    Me too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    Why would you want to be in the US when people like:

Michael Moore/Anne Coulter are there

(delete according to taste).
    For the record, these people aren't as highly regarded as the media, or they themselves, portrays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    True .. although LSE is ridiculous ... for my LLM there they wanted 12k or so from me - Oxford wanted 4500... I dont see how LSE can justify that.
    Really? I applied to Oxford, and it'd cost me 10,000 if I got in (it would be Ph.D. in IR or something similar). They justify it by using the money to buy newer and shinier buildings while continuing to give their professors crappy salaries.

Or at least they prefer it to Kerry.

I would love to see McCain run and win... means I could actually support a Republican ... which is actually economically where I lean.
    As I said before, I don't see him winning the primaries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawz-)
    Lol .. I wouldnt agree really - I dont think people in the US are saying "gosh I wish I knew more about the Nepalese, but, it just seems plain nosey to find out about em ... "

Im not saying politically - but culturally, or even merely geographically.

I think that the more you ignore the rest of the world, the more you tend to ignore the fact that there are other interests to cosnider in this world ...

But again - as I say - I get on better with yanks than any other people... so much so that Im marrying one (though granted she has a vineyard - so I couldnt say no).
    That's not exactly what I'm saying. They won't allow themselves to be curious because it's impolite to be nosy. One crushes any budding curiosity out of a sense of propriety.

I don't really think that considering other interests in the world is a necessarily valuable quality. By all means know about the interests of others, but that should only be used to serve one's own interests. I'm sure the people of Nepal aren't contemplating how they can help Americans.

And congratulations. Did she propose to you, then? How thoroughly modern of you both.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allymcb2)
    Oh yeah- and they did a great job of minding their own business about Iraq didnt they? Or rather their own businessES
    And then you claim Americans are dumb. You're just repeating a damn slogan. You must feel so brilliant. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    As I said before, I don't see him winning the primaries.
    That's what the Republicans want you to believe, Mr. Dem. :p:

ReputationRep:
    That's what the Republicans want you to believe, Mr. Dem. :p:
    Nah, the Republicans will find a better excuse, like that he's a paedophile or something. :p:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 9, 2008
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.