Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalek1099)
    Mark Gatiss is getting bad at writing endings now because he also wrote the terrible ending to Night Terrors, where the dolls weren't even real and all the boy needed was support from his Dad.
    Well, someone isn't a fan of The League of Gentlemen.

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone notice that Clara's mother died on 5th March 2005 (the date of the first episode)? That could mean she was killed by the Autons, or maybe it has something to do with this Rose theory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sphodromantis)
    I think the problem with dr who is that it's trying to appeal to a wider audience, that means they have to cut back on the gore. At series 1, 2005, the Doctor was all ways blowing up the enemies heads, but now, he tries to be compassionate even though he says he gives no mercy, which is the biggest ****ing lie ever. It's gotten cringey ad the plot is too guessable. Also, trying to solve the day by talking to them is the stupid thing ever. I mean imagine WWE wrestlers verbally slaying each other, it's just not as good as action and violence, I was afraid to say it but, I am starting to hate it now. It's too kiddish and I know the original series where for teens but they were gory and good. I know a lot of the old eps are 15's and 12's. bring back Christopher eccleston~all is forgiven.
    Couldn't agree more. For example, it really frustrated me when they walked into the room where there was a man who had been disected by the ice warrior- and then they didn't show anything! Fair enough, kids watch it, but why put that in the story if you can't actually show it?

Perhaps I'm just used to more adult shows like Grimm and the Following (anyone watch these?), but the whole defeating enemies by talking/love/thinking and no one dieing is silly. Even in Tennant's era, when the writing seemed a bit cheesier, aliens and monsters were blown up, killed, drowned, incinerated etc. Any y'know what? Kids actually like a little bit of violence.

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah, before I forget, Cold War was really good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by montstar)
    Couldn't agree more. For example, it really frustrated me when they walked into the room where there was a man who had been disected by the ice warrior- and then they didn't show anything! Fair enough, kids watch it, but why put that in the story if you can't actually show it?

Perhaps I'm just used to more adult shows like Grimm and the Following (anyone watch these?), but the whole defeating enemies by talking/love/thinking and no one dieing is silly. Even in Tennant's era, when the writing seemed a bit cheesier, aliens and monsters were blown up, killed, drowned, incinerated etc. Any y'know what? Kids actually like a little bit of violence.
    Yeah, couldn't agree with you more! , Tennant and Ecclestone era was the best but with Matt Smith, they have tried to make it more friendlier to little kids which is a bit stupid because they are making to of a complex story to follow, how on earth are they going to undertake it. I have heard of Grimm, haven't seen it but looks good. Walking Dead is good. I remember web they used to blow up slitheen, not zap them to wherever. It's good to vent

ReputationRep:
    I liked that episode much better than last week's, but it was still lacking something. The opening was really good: the Tardis vanished, the Doctor lost his screwdriver (thank god) and it actually felt like the Doctor and Clara were in real danger.

But then the pacing just slowed down to a snail's pace all of a sudden, and it got a little stale. After the scene where the Ice Warrior escaped I felt like I was watching a less exciting version of Alien, featuring the Doctor. Also, the Ice Warrior's character was really inconsistent and I didn't really like it to be honest; he seemed to change his opinions on things to suit the Doctor's situation.

Some people are saying Clara felt one-dimensional, but I thought the exact opposite. She seemed really distant in this episode, as if she was remembering/thinking about something important - I wonder if this had something to do with an over-arching storyline. Also, did anyone else think it was weird that she was so concerned over whether she saved the world or not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkay)
    Some people are saying Clara felt one-dimensional, but I thought the exact opposite. She seemed really distant in this episode, as if she was remembering/thinking about something important - I wonder if this had something to do with an over-arching storyline. Also, did anyone else think it was weird that she was so concerned over whether she saved the world or not?
    This, absolutely this.

ReputationRep:
    is it just me or do Martians just happen to speak Russian lol ...

ReputationRep:
    Just watched
    Boring is the most positive review I can give

ReputationRep:
    I laughed my head when the Ice Warrior went towards the control room and you had those two sailers just standing there like some half arsed actors shooting, it was so stupid.

I mostly liked the models, I thought the submarine looked like a model, it certainly felt more real than the terrible CG.

ReputationRep:
    Just watched the latest episode, now, it was a lot better than the last couple of eps, however I think pacing is still a problem, didn't like the ending, didn't know why the **** Clara started singing to stop the missiles, I liked the fact it was a lot less Clara-fied, however she seemed to non-exist and I don't like the fact she is this clever gal they make her out to be, Rose, Martha, Donna and even the latest Amy and Rory had a naivety about them and weren't so the clever clogs like Clara is portrayed, and I didn't like it when they CGI'd the ice warriors face, it looked tacky, they could of made it like the slurrians, however not keen on the idea/or for next week, oh well, I for a penny out for a pound.

ReputationRep:
    7 years since New Earth? God, I feel old.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    This has been put together brilliantly I reckon - So. many. feels.

Not any spoilers or anything despite the title, really just a tribute to the show.

ReputationRep:
    If Clara turns out to be related in any way to Rose then I'm not going to be a happy bunny.

On another note, how have I not noticed this thread before?! Massive Whovian here Favourite doctors include Fourth, Seventh and Eleventh, and I've been watching the show since when I was quite young, watching the videos my parents had.

ReputationRep:
    Anybody else think its a shame that the Madame Pompadom person never got to go with the Doctor, she seemed nice.

ReputationRep:
    Doctor Who has been dreadful since Moffat took over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    Anybody else think its a shame that the Madame Pompadom person never got to go with the Doctor, she seemed nice.
    Madame Pompadom :rofl:

No, I'm glad. I didn't think much of her at all. Why do most fans love her?
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by snowyowl)
    Madame Pompadom :rofl:

No, I'm glad. I didn't think much of her at all. Why do most fans love her?
    I liked her dresses :teehee: I really did like her, I also really liked Sally Sparrow, but they were best as one off characters for sure :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VladThe1mpaler)
    Doctor Who has been dreadful since Moffat took over.
    Moffat started off good with the best Doctor Who story The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang being wrote by him but has started to ruin the show I I thought that Clara was going to be a good companion but She seems really boring at the moment because Moffat gave us the wrong Clara-I liked the one in Asylum and Snowmen but not this one, the dumber one who doesn't seem as if She can catch up with the Doctor's level of thought.While we're at it I'm going to name my best 22 stories of Doctor Who Note:This is a convenient list with 2 stories for each doctor because considering over 200 stories would be an extremely tough thing to do:
    1.The Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang
    2.The End of Time
    3.Army of Ghosts/Doomsday
    4.The Trial of a Timelord
    5.The Invasion of Time
    6.Earthshock
    7.The Cyber Seas of Rhye/The Cyberlords of Time
    8.The Curse of Fenwick
    9.Remembrance of the Daleks
    10.The Invasion
    11.Aliens of London/World War Three
    12.The Chase
    13. Resurrection of the Daleks
    14.The Green Death
    15.Doctor Who and the Silurians
    16.Bad Wolf/The Parting of the Ways
    17.The Movie
    18.Logopolis
    19.Vincent and the Doctor
    20.Revelation of the Daleks
    21.The Mind Robber
    22.The Celestial Toymaker

ReputationRep:
    Liked this latest episode quite a lot actually - though the ending could have been better. And I wonder why they didn't just set it on a British nuclear sub. I know there's an in-show reason for everyone to sound like they're speaking English with a British accent, but why use that reasoning when the plot could be exactly the same with British characters?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2018
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.