Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I think I got the Lear (hope) question completely wrong. Instead of analysing the 'dramatic effects' I think, I mainly focused on the characters and their role in bringing hope to the play - but then mentioned specific parts. Such as Cordelia being the mother-like role in the play, even though there's no actual mother, and despite her and Kent being banished in the opening scene, by returning to enlighten Lear this makes hope. And also said the same thing for Edgar acting as a father-like role for Gloucester to enlighten him, but also how he gives hope to Edmund in the final scene in order to create natural order and hope in the world of the play by showing him how he can feel just as loved even though he's illegitimate.

I'm really scared it came out wrong, but the amount of criticism (6 quotes) and the amount of the figures of speech in the 10 quotes I used from the play will surely boost my mark? I used so so many from similes, to hyperboles, to animal imagery etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by binxgillam)
    AO4 because it's contextual knowledge
    Isn't it A03 aspects of production?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itunesfestival95)
    Okay, I think I got the Lear (hope) question completely wrong. Instead of analysing the 'dramatic effects' I think, I mainly focused on the characters and their role in bringing hope to the play - but then mentioned specific parts. Such as Cordelia being the mother-like role in the play, even though there's no actual mother, and despite her and Kent being banished in the opening scene, by returning to enlighten Lear this makes hope. And also said the same thing for Edgar acting as a father-like role for Gloucester to enlighten him, but also how he gives hope to Edmund in the final scene in order to create natural order and hope in the world of the play by showing him how he can feel just as loved even though he's illegitimate.

I'm really scared it came out wrong, but the amount of criticism (6 quotes) and the amount of the figures of speech in the 10 quotes I used from the play will surely boost my mark? I used so so many from similes, to hyperboles, to animal imagery etc.
    It's all about interpretation in English. If that's the way you interpreted the question and you clearly justified it. Then you can't be wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    Does anyone know SPECIFICALLY what the 'King Lear' question about hope was? Thank you, good luck with the rest of exams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Todun)
    Hey guys,
    Does anyone know SPECIFICALLY what the 'King Lear' question about hope was? Thank you, good luck with the rest of exams
    Think it was:

'By analysing the dramatic effects, evaluate the view that "despite the appalling suffering, the world of the play is not without hope."'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by faz10420)
    For King Lear, if you write about how he may have used cannon balls rolling across stage as a dramatic effect of the storm scene, does that go towards AO2 or AO4...?
    That'd be considered AO4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestsundaydress)
    I think it does because it contributes to the overall grade but thank you anyway, that's helpful
    It doesn't - your AS grade has no relation to getting an A*, other than that you need an A grade overall. You could get a B in year 12 and an A* in year 13 and come out with an A* overall.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by venenecinema)
    It doesn't - your AS grade has no relation to getting an A*, other than that you need an A grade overall. You could get a B in year 12 and an A* in year 13 and come out with an A* overall.
    But isn't aren't AS and A2 collectively 60% and coursework collectively 40% all contributing to the overall A level grade? Anyway don't worry lol I feel like I'm missing something really obvious, my maths skills have obviously diminished since gcse

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestsundaydress)
    But isn't aren't AS and A2 collectively 60% and coursework collectively 40% all contributing to the overall A level grade? Anyway don't worry lol I feel like I'm missing something really obvious, my maths skills have obviously diminished since gcse
    I think I'm explaining it really badly but yes, both the AS and A2 years contribute to the overall A-Level grade, but the AS grade does not directly affect your chances of getting an A*. If you get have an A grade over the two years and an average of 90%+ UMS in the A2 years then you get an A*.
    If you got 100% in your AS year (200 UMS) and then got only 160 UMS in your A2 year, even though you'd have an average UMS of 90%, you wouldn't get an A*.
    Probably still a bad explanation! It is unreasonably confusing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by venenecinema)
    I think I'm explaining it really badly but yes, both the AS and A2 years contribute to the overall A-Level grade, but the AS grade does not directly affect your chances of getting an A*. If you get have an A grade over the two years and an average of 90%+ UMS in the A2 years then you get an A*.
    If you got 100% in your AS year (200 UMS) and then got only 160 UMS in your A2 year, even though you'd have an average UMS of 90%, you wouldn't get an A*.
    Probably still a bad explanation! It is unreasonably confusing.
    Ok no that makes sense now thank you!

ReputationRep:
    How did everyone find the exam did anyone do paradise lost book 9 ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aisha302)
    I was just worrying about the same thing

Oh wells
    It wont effect your grade! About half of my class actually MADE UP critics names and quotes - apparently the whole critic thing is more of a "token gesture" anyway : )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xena9002)
    How did everyone find the exam did anyone do paradise lost book 9 ?
    I had paradise lost and I thought the questions for it were quite nice actually, like the innocence one was awesome, then there's love/power/female language I can't remember the other one, oh yeah pleasure. I thought they could have been meaner so I hope it went well for me haha what question did you do?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Je55H;43036496]I had paradise lost and I thought the questions for it were quite nice actually, like the innocence one was awesome, then there's love/power/female language I can't remember the other one, oh yeah pleasure. I thought they could have been meaner so I hope it went well for me haha what question did you do?

I know right I was prepared for the worst esp because its OCR they're unpredictable I did the one about persuit of pleasure and consequence

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HighwayUnicorn)
    Does anyone want a The Rivals study pack I bought a few weeks ago? I could email it around to you guys later on tonight. It's been so helpful to me in looking at the major themes and studying the context and characters. If you're doing TR/WOB, it has a lot of points for you to compare with.

Hey, Could you be so kind as to Email me it too?

I know the exams over now, but my brother will be studying the texts next year

Would be greatly appreciated

[email protected]

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hey I just finished AS year and and unfortunately I only got a C overall, but I may do redo my coursework but my teacher is useless. She didn't even look at mine before she submitted it, therefore I was wondering if anyone could share any tips on AS coursework and A2 generally? Or if anyone could send me notes or an example of what they wrote? I just need some guidance on it and how to get my grade up to a B (I would LOVE an A overall but I guess that's impossible now )

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED (I studied Captain Corelli's Mandolin, Atonement and a Thousand Splendid Suns for AS but any advice is great!)

I'm doing King Lear, The White Devil and the The Wife of Bath this year too

THANKS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MedicManiac)
    Hey, Could you be so kind as to Email me it too?

I know the exams over now, but my brother will be studying the texts next year

Would be greatly appreciated

[email protected]

Thanks

Did anyone send you anything?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lottielugosi)
    Is anyone else studying Volpone? We're comparing Volpone and The Wife of Bath's Tale, which is proving reaaally quite difficult.
    Hihi, sorry, I know this was posted ages ago, but I'm just wondering if you can remember some of the ideas that you came up with in relation to these two texts. I'm currently doing an essay on it and you're right, it is rather tricky, I could bullet point some comparisons, but writing a whole essay on this is a lot harder.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone here studying King Lear? And The White Devil & Blake for comparison

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spartz)
    Anyone here studying King Lear? And The White Devil & Blake for comparison

I'm studying King Lear and Blake/Tis Pity for comparison

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.