Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoFr)
    Is not being a drinker of alcohol or fizzy drinks too specific?

Haven't had a fizzy drink at all for nearly 2 years, out of choice and for health.

I drink about 4 litres of water a day. Varies on heat, exercise, etc.
    Wow. You must go to the toilet a lot. I drink roughly 2 litres of water a day and go to the toilet like every 2 hours lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jozzers)
    Yay! Which course will you be doing?

I'm not a complete teetotal, but getting drunk has never appealed to me either. It's reassuring to know that I'm not the only one who feels like this. I just hope that I won't feel left out at uni.
    We've got a medicine freshers group set up on Facebook for Southampton Medics Search "Southampton 2013 medicine offer holders" or something like that

ReputationRep:
    OH WOW I'M NOT ALONE. Reading through this thread is bliss; so many people are writing my exact thoughts.

Quite a few people have tried to tell me horror stories about people who don't drink at uni. "You'll have your drink spiked!" "You won't make any friends!" "Better find some good excuses - tell them you're allergic!" But, clearly, I don't plan on going around preaching teetotalism in such an annoying fashion as to cause the first two scenarios and, as for the third, it bothers me that we should need excuses. "I don't like to eat cheese", or "I don't like rock-climbing" would be taken at face value, so why not "I don't like to drink alcohol"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue Meltwater)
    OH WOW I'M NOT ALONE. Reading through this thread is bliss; so many people are writing my exact thoughts.

Quite a few people have tried to tell me horror stories about people who don't drink at uni. "You'll have your drink spiked!" "You won't make any friends!" "Better find some good excuses - tell them you're allergic!" But, clearly, I don't plan on going around preaching teetotalism in such an annoying fashion as to cause the first two scenarios and, as for the third, it bothers me that we should need excuses. "I don't like to eat cheese", or "I don't like rock-climbing" would be taken at face value, so why not "I don't like to drink alcohol"?
    Definitely I'm glad that the thread is making people feel a little less alien to the student world :3

ReputationRep:
    ya non drinkers people!!!! I have nothing against typical freshers but it just doesn't interest me. I would rather spend my money on something I can keep. Anyone going to Cardiff Specifically Med students I don't want to be the only 'boring person'.

ReputationRep:
    hello people, I'm a non-drinker Just don't like the taste of them. is that weird?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Legii)
    hello people, I'm a non-drinker Just don't like the taste of them. is that weird?

You absolute freaking alien weirdo, stand right where you are sir/madam, i'm calling someone to come get you in a white van and take you away in a straight jacket to get this sorted out.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Not sure if serious.. of course it's not weird. But asking whether you don't like the taste of something makes you weird is weird in itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruffiio)
    You absolute freaking alien weirdo, stand right where you are sir/madam, i'm calling someone to come get you in a white van and take you away in a straight jacket to get this sorted out.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Not sure if serious.. of course it's not weird. But asking whether you don't like the taste of something makes you weird is weird in itself.
    true lol

ReputationRep:
    I'm teetotal and kind of an emetophobe, so I'll be avoiding clubbing like the plague during Fresher's.

ReputationRep:
    hey i'm going to be a 2nd year at university and am a non-drinker. sometimes the fact that most of the people in my halls wanted to clubbing every night and get drunk did get me down but in the end I just got used to it. am staying in halls again this year so I hope to find some non-drinkers. fingers-crossed. would rather do something sporty any day

ReputationRep:
    Future Diagnostic Radiographer studying at Leeds university here ! Reading this makes me feel so much better! I've tried alcohol and to be honest I'm not a fan. I don't mind the odd drink, but that's on rare occasions! I'm so glad there are other teetotals out there!

I've already been to UCLan once (only for a year), and the amount of people out clubbing and trying to get me to go was a little upsetting. I wouldn't mind if their main agenda wasn't just to get completely wrecked! Going for a few quiet drinks with friends in a pub is much more fun... generally because I don't feel pressured to be drunk (and I hate clubbing anyway :P)

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! I used to drink but then I got Ill so no more for me, I don't miss it but this damn illness took away my social life and I don't see myself getting it back in uni! I'm starting uni in 5 weeks and freshers terrifies me, I have no intention of going to parties at all, by the time they start I'm usually tucked up in bed having taken all my medication. I'm optimistic but know the nights will be lonely while everyone is out partying

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lilGem)
    firmed UEA and insured Sheffield
    Another UEA non drinker in here! Worried about how important seems to be to go out for freshers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ataria)
    Another UEA non drinker in here! Worried about how important seems to be to go out for freshers.
    :hi: There's another UEA non drinker so we can always meet up somewhere instead of going out one night?

I'll go out with the flat etc but I'll just stick to soft drinks :yep: I'm sure there'll be activities for non drinkers

ReputationRep:
    Anyone going UCLAN? The word teetotal originated in Preston, and it's history, from wikipedia;

The Institution for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge was founded in 1828 by Joseph Livesey's Temperance Society. The society was born from a pledge made by seven Preston working men (whose names can be seen on a plaque in the university's library) to never again consume alcohol.

And yet there isn't even a teetotal society at UCLAN, which is traitorous. I might just go set one up if i get in. Wonder how hard that will be though ^_^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruffiio)
    Anyone going UCLAN? The word teetotal originated in Preston, and it's history, from wikipedia;

The Institution for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge was founded in 1828 by Joseph Livesey's Temperance Society. The society was born from a pledge made by seven Preston working men (whose names can be seen on a plaque in the university's library) to never again consume alcohol.

And yet there isn't even a teetotal society at UCLAN, which is traitorous. I might just go set one up if i get in. Wonder how hard that will be though ^_^
    My friend is going to UCLAN however I doubt she would be part of your teetotal club. She's the complete opposite to me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to Aberdeen university and all the freshers page talks about is this huge clubbing icebreaker /: so I figure that's the best night to make some friends who are similar to me, just see who's left on campus :P

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Legii)
    Not in the slightest I am exactly the same

Anyone going to Bournemouth?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wrexhamfc)
    Hey y'all, I'm a teetotal and part-time social outcast hopefully going to Durham to study Physics! How have I not seen this thread before?
    How have I not seen this post before?! Also hopefully going to Durham for Maths & Physics - hi! :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jadpan)
    ya non drinkers people!!!! I have nothing against typical freshers but it just doesn't interest me. I would rather spend my money on something I can keep. Anyone going to Cardiff Specifically Med students I don't want to be the only 'boring person'.
    Congrats on getting your Cardiff offer! I don't drink either, not a fresher though.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.