The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

guys is wavelength directly proportional to speed? which light undergoes greater refraction red or blue?
Original post by Arnold.L
Could anyone explain question 16 from January 2009 paper please? Both parts if possible and in as much detail as you can! :biggrin:

Here's a link to it: http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP%20GCE%20Curriculum%202000/January%202009/6PH02_01_que_20090115.pdf

Thanks in advance.

Part A
It is a series circuit therefore current is the same at every point hence current is equal in both lamps
If lamp B glows more brightly the Power must be greater. P=VI, I is constant so V must be greater so pd across lamp A is less the pd across lamp B as B glows more brightly
V=IR, As I is constant for both lamps and we know that V is greater for lamp B then R must also be greater for lamp B therefore the resistance of lamp A is less than the resistance of lamp B
Reply 482
Original post by Tomupcraft
mu = refractive index

mu = sin i / sin r

sin i = 35 degrees as it must be angle to normal
sin r = 90 degrees as it is refracted along the boundary

mu = sin35 / 1
mu = 0.57 but this mu is for the glass to the air, it wants it for the air to the glass therefor mu for glass = 1/0.57 = 1.74

but its not mentioned that find for the air to the glass :/
Original post by jollygood
guys is wavelength directly proportional to speed? which light undergoes greater refraction red or blue?

v=f*lambda

No as v is constant for light. However wavelength is inversely proportional to frequency

Blue undergoes the greatest refraction.

Sorry Edit: My example is only true for EM radiation
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by arshia
but its not mentioned that find for the air to the glass :/

I had this problem when I did the question. So im just assuming that when they say find the refractive index for a material, they are wanting that material to be the material that refracts the light if you understand.

Eg. take air and glass
if they say find mu of glass I would assume light is travelling from air to glass
but if they say find mu of air then assume light is travelling from glass to air

speed = wavelength * Frequency

so as speed increases, the frequency also increases. As frequency increases, then the wavelength decreases
Reply 486
Someone please explain me doppler effect
Reply 487
I had this problem when I did the question. So im just assuming that when they say find the refractive index for a material, they are wanting that material to be the material that refracts the light if you understand.

Eg. take air and glass
if they say find mu of glass I would assume light is travelling from air to glass
but if they say find mu of air then assume light is travelling from glass to air

This is so confusing ! its all about assumptions :frown: Thanks alot btw :smile: Good luck if u have exam tomorrow (Y) and to everyone :smile:
Reply 488
Part A
It is a series circuit therefore current is the same at every point hence current is equal in both lamps
If lamp B glows more brightly the Power must be greater. P=VI, I is constant so V must be greater so pd across lamp A is less the pd across lamp B as B glows more brightly
V=IR, As I is constant for both lamps and we know that V is greater for lamp B then R must also be greater for lamp B therefore the resistance of lamp A is less than the resistance of lamp B

Cheers for the quality answer! Exactly the sort of answer I needed haha, the mark schemes don't help much :P

Have you got any ideas about part B?
Original post by Arnold.L
Could anyone explain question 16 from January 2009 paper please? Both parts if possible and in as much detail as you can! :biggrin:

Here's a link to it: http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/QP%20GCE%20Curriculum%202000/January%202009/6PH02_01_que_20090115.pdf

Thanks in advance.

For part B
When in parallel voltage across both of the bulbs is the same.
However current splits
We know that lamp A has a lower resistance than lamp B and therefore using V/R=I can see that I is greater for lamp A, so P=VI, V is constant but I is greater for lamp A so power is greater for A and hence will be brighter in parallel.

When light travels through an interface its speed changes but frequency remains the same. So if the new medium is denser, the speed decreases so the wavelength also decreases.

Blue light slows down more than red light so it is refracted more than red light in a denser medium.
Reply 491

BBB - blue bends better
RBR - red bends rotten.

Therefore you can see that if blue and red light travel in the same media, other than vacuum, blue light will always have to experience a greater index of refraction.
v=f*lambda

No as v is constant for light. However wavelength is inversely proportional to frequency

Blue undergoes the greatest refraction.

Sorry Edit: My example is only true for EM radiation

thanks very much :smile:
Original post by ArcRaman
BBB - blue bends better
RBR - red bends rotten.

Therefore you can see that if blue and red light travel in the same media, other than vacuum, blue light will always have to experience a greater index of refraction.

that's the best way to remember. thanks. when we say grestest refraction it means bends away from the normal. angle between the normal and refracted ray is big. correct me if I am wrong?
is there any genius person who would like to tell me how do we make up the frequency and wavelenghth formulas in case of open ended tubes and close ended tubes or closed at one end ? my teacher didn't go through this topic at all. ?and also the no. of nodes and antinodes in each case?
Reply 495
A radio station broadcasts at a frequency of 198 kHz.
(a) Calculate the wavelength of these radio waves
I know we use v= f x lamda but what is v?
Original post by alygirl

velocity of the wave or in this case the speed of light.
Original post by alygirl

v is 3 x10^8 as it is radio waves which is an em wave
so you know frequency and speed so wavelength is easy to calculate

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 498
Doppler effect ??? Someone please explain
Reply 499
Original post by mickeycharb
v is 3 x10^8 as it is radio waves which is an em wave
so you know frequency and speed so wavelength is easy to calculate

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah it turns out I was looking at the wrong markscheme :s-smilie: whoopsy, as that's what I had originally done haha

Latest

Trending

Trending