Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

BREAKING: Reports of multiple explosions at Boston Marathon leaving dozens wounded. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CEKTOP)
    The bulk of al-Qaeda's money comes from SA. The bulk of its affiliates' money comes from SA. This is a fact that nobody is trying to hide. The alliance is purely strategic and is based wholly on SA oil, after all SA is one of the least democratic countries on Earth.
    Ofcourse the alliance is formed to benefit us army as they recieve saudi funding, however does that not prove america is not out to help if they are allies with saudi?

ReputationRep:
    Can't believe this kind of thing happened...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Somee say it was Christopher dorner's dad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robbie242)
    At the moment its uncertain, its likely to either be a foreign terrorist or a extremist right winger (could be left wing, but doubt it)
    To me it seems too small to be a foreign terrorist plot. It looks way more like the kind of thing a home grown extremist would do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mister Dead)
    Well, Barak Obama, the Boston Police Department and all national news outlets have no idea. And TSR would be the place you'd expect this information to turn up? :confused:

Hope the hateful, miserable, inadequate, tiny minded people that were desperate for this to be an Islamic extremist are beginning to feel just a little ashamed of their reaction now this is settling and looking increasingly likely to be domestic, as it so often is. Not that it should matter who the culprit is for them to reflect on and feel bad about the fairly obvious xenophobia/racism (call it what you want) infesting their thinking.
    Most of this thread so far is about Islam. Not saying it isn't an Islamic terrorist cell, but as there's no proof one way or another yet, maybe people should just stop speculating and WAIT?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TaylorGang_4)
    You're blinded by your ignorance. :dontknow:
    Conspiracy theorists are absolute nutters who just like to think they're a minority of 'special' people who are in-the-know. They like to think they're better than the society who's shunned them because we're all 'ignorant' and they're not.

The happy reality is that all their claims can be easily refuted and the only people who don't laugh at them are other conspiracy theorists.

ReputationRep:
    Meanwhile in Syria, 70,000 people killed and millions displaced. The media needs to sort its priorities out.

Are the lives of 3 Americans really worth more attention than those of 70,000 Syrians? Think about it.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...n-wedding.html

meanwhile...

ReputationRep:
    Reuters were reporting the bombs were gun powder based with ball bearing and other material to create shrapnel.

The lack of a claim does seem to suggest a small operation, but the fact it isn't a suicide attack could be the reason too. Doesn't really make sense to announce your allegiance while you are still trying to get away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tjf8)
    I don't know if you're aware of this or not, but the first line of my post was in quotation marks because it was a quotation from the man himself, not my own opinion. The 'weak attempt at backtracking' was the quotation above. I don't even make an argument there; I'm just pasting what he said.
    I am sorry. Please accept my apology. You are completely right of course.

ReputationRep:
    This is horrific, I haven't read the latest news of the incident and will have to read up more but apparently democracy is to blame (Russian Duma officials) :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    I think it could easily have no political motivation, it may just be an attack for the sake of attack like the Batman shooting.
    Mmmhm, it seems weird though that so many devices were used if there's no motive other than being a sick ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonelykatana)
    What exactly is your point in bringing up this story from 2002?
    Any other pathetic attempt to rationalise what's happened in Boston you want to get out of your system?
    It's really starting to piss me off that people feel the need to bring up American caused deaths on this thread.
    There would be outrage if I posted 'Yeah but 9/11' on a thread about innocent deaths in Afghanistan, but I'm not moronic enough to attempt to justify these things.
    cool, my bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    I think it could easily have no political motivation, it may just be an attack for the sake of attack like the Batman shooting.
    It is tax time so I think there is a political motivation as there are some nutjobs that do not want to pay taxes and would kill for their cause, there is a history of this I believe although I believe this is the worst attack. Alternatively it could be al-Qaeda picking Boston as it is an easier target compared to NYC for example although I doubt it, al-Qaeda aren't exactly active outside of the ME, just copycats around now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    I'm not sure what the scale of the attack has to do with the motivations behind it.

If some homegrown psycho wants to take out as many people as he can why wouldn't they use multiple devices?
    Multiple devices of that level (with the ball bearings etc.) would require co-ordination I imagine, not really something that I can see one 'lone ranger' doing on their own.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G8D)
    It could be, but its doesn't seem personal enough. If there is a lack of political motivation there is usually some kind of personal motivation, and either direct personal involvement or some kind of announcement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    Multiple devices of that level (with the ball bearings etc.) would require co-ordination I imagine, not really something that I can see one 'lone ranger' doing on their own.
    It's not that hard to build a remote controlled device really, pretty sure anyone with Google could figure it out in a couple of hours.

ReputationRep:
    My prayers and thoughts are with the families of the victims. No-one can justify doing such a brutal act of terror - nothing justifies it whatsoever.

"whosoever kills an innocent human being, it is as if he has killed the whole of mankind" - Holy Quran

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiss_me_now9)
    al-Qeada had a magazine that showed how to make bombs from kitchen materials, it takes 3 seconds to find it online and it is £10 total to build one bomb and it is simple to do, a lone ranger could do it with ease if they wanted to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Krack)
    al-Qeada had a magazine that showed how to make bombs from kitchen materials, it takes 3 seconds to find it online and it is £10 total to build one bomb and it is simple to do, a lone ranger could do it with ease if they wanted to.

(Original post by gateshipone)
    It's not that hard to build a remote controlled device really, pretty sure anyone with Google could figure it out in a couple of hours.
    Placing them in multiple locations is the hard part though. Especially since when that first bomb goes off, you're screwed if you're found anywhere near any others. It's always very impersonal and doesn't really say anything about the person who did it...

As we haven't heard from any of the extremist groups taking responsibility, I think we can start to assume it was in house.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 22, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.