Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dancing_shoes92)
    Thanks, how many characters is the personal statement allowed to be?
    The same as the UCAS one. You'll hit the line count which is 42 I believe before the character count.

ReputationRep:
    I am reapplying for my PGCE in Secondary Physical Education, as I was unsuccessful last year! I have just graduated with a First and just recently found another High School to undertake work experience! Has anyone taken there QTS skills tests yet? I heard you can't take them until you have an interview or a place??? is this correct??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wiggy!)
    I am reapplying for my PGCE in Secondary Physical Education, as I was unsuccessful last year! I have just graduated with a First and just recently found another High School to undertake work experience! Has anyone taken there QTS skills tests yet? I heard you can't take them until you have an interview or a place??? is this correct??
    I think you can take them as soon as you've sent your application. I don't think you need an application in place, but you definitely need to have applied. I may be wrong though, anyone feel free to correct me.

(Original post by kpwxx)
    I am an NQT! Did a PGCE and finished this summer, still looking for a job so spending my time on TSR instead lol.

Before I applied I had my year 10 work experience in a Nursery but that was a while back! In the year before I applied I had I think about 22 days - about 1/4 reception, 1/4 KS2 and 1/2 KS1. I applied for a 3-7 PGCE. (Did 2 days at easter, 2 weeks after I finished my year of uni and 2 weeks before I started back... 2 different schools).

So a bit more than you but really still not that much. It's so much more important to use it well! Remember you can always arrange more in advance and put that you have it arranged on your application.

xxx
    Oh right sounds exciting! Hopefully everyone on this thread will be in this position next summer, fingers crossed!

I am definitely planning on arranging some in advance and mentioning that in my personal statement, because I'm really pessimistic about getting on a course at the moment with my pathetic 7 days and unrelated degree I really want to go down this career path, I've never been more sure, so I just hope I get on a course!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    I think you can take them as soon as you've sent your application. I don't think you need an application in place, but you definitely need to have applied. I may be wrong though, anyone feel free to correct me.

Oh right sounds exciting! Hopefully everyone on this thread will be in this position next summer, fingers crossed!

I am definitely planning on arranging some in advance and mentioning that in my personal statement, because I'm really pessimistic about getting on a course at the moment with my pathetic 7 days and unrelated degree I really want to go down this career path, I've never been more sure, so I just hope I get on a course!

Don't be pessimistic - be optimistic, and confident in yourself. It's potential they want, not experience. Yes... they may say they'd like you to get more experience, but in that case you can enjoy a year + of working in schools, helping children and learning a lot, then try again. It certainly won't be held against you that you've tried before, and the uni will give you a place when you're ready.

xxx

ReputationRep:
    How much experience does everyone else have?

I've volunteered in 2 schools (1 for 2 years once a week, and the other for 2 weeks straight) and I have also been deputy manager/play worker at a children's summer play scheme the past 2 summers.

Is this enough? I know competition is tough so I want to make sure I'm as prepared as possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know how useful secondary school experience is when applying to primary teaching PGCEs? Been speaking to a supply teaching company and there isn't really any primary school work going in this area (because they have so many volunteers available), but there's plenty of secondary work. Should I go for it? On one hand it seems pointless being a teaching assistant for an age group I'll never teach, but it could also be really valuable...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alabelle)
    Anyone know how useful secondary school experience is when applying to primary teaching PGCEs? Been speaking to a supply teaching company and there isn't really any primary school work going in this area (because they have so many volunteers available), but there's plenty of secondary work. Should I go for it? On one hand it seems pointless being a teaching assistant for an age group I'll never teach, but it could also be really valuable...
    It's certainly not not useful. For a start it can show you've experienced it to be sure of the age range you wish to teach. It also still had a lot of relevance in learning theory etc, plus it shows where the children you will teach are going afterwards.

However, you will definitely need experience in primaries as well, as they need to know you're aware of what you're going for and it can allow you to talk about relevant ideas and issues you notice while volunteering.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steph_cook92)
    How much experience does everyone else have?

I've volunteered in 2 schools (1 for 2 years once a week, and the other for 2 weeks straight) and I have also been deputy manager/play worker at a children's summer play scheme the past 2 summers.

Is this enough? I know competition is tough so I want to make sure I'm as prepared as possible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    As long as you have the minimum they state that's enough abs you are definitely I with a chance, though if you can get more I personally would always recommend it, like you say many applicants will have a lot and I would never say no to a chance to observe others' teaching .

The most important thing is what you take from the experience. Think about what you noticed about how children learn, how the respond to behaviour management, what it's like for a child and what experiences they have in a day etc

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi, iam also applying for a pgce for sept.2014 you know when it comes to the 2 referees I asked my university tutor to be my principal referee which he agreed to but as my 2nd referee I asked my old headmistress which I also did some volunteer observing and helping out ect..is this ok or do I need to find someone else? My old headmistress said yes to being a referee already...I chose her as she knows my personality and how this would suit teaching

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mimi92)
    Hi, iam also applying for a pgce for sept.2014 you know when it comes to the 2 referees I asked my university tutor to be my principal referee which he agreed to but as my 2nd referee I asked my old headmistress which I also did some volunteer observing and helping out ect..is this ok or do I need to find someone else? My old headmistress said yes to being a referee already...I chose her as she knows my personality and how this would suit teaching

Thanks
    That's fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mimi92)

Thanks
    That's fine! After an initial panic about who to use, I'm using a headteacher for my second referee too. I haven't asked at uni yet as I haven't gone back yet, but I doubt it will be a problem.

Main thing is that I don't know where to apply yet! Sort of mixing options. Then I also forgot that they are sort of opening the courses at different times according to UCAS, so just have to hope the three I choose open at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    When is the deadline for 2014? I am also thinking of doing a pgce

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hd237)
    When is the deadline for 2014? I am also thinking of doing a pgce

Some courses may not have spaces and will remain open right up until a few weeks before a course starts.
    Applications open November 1st though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    It's certainly not not useful. For a start it can show you've experienced it to be sure of the age range you wish to teach. It also still had a lot of relevance in learning theory etc, plus it shows where the children you will teach are going afterwards.

However, you will definitely need experience in primaries as well, as they need to know you're aware of what you're going for and it can allow you to talk about relevant ideas and issues you notice while volunteering.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks. I have five days of experience in a primary school, plus ten more days lined up, so I should meet the minimum requirements for that. Not sure how helpful learning styles, theories etc. will be because I'm doing an Educational Studies degree (done all that to death, haha) but I suppose it can't hurt. The extra money would be good too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alabelle)
    Thanks. I have five days of experience in a primary school, plus ten more days lined up, so I should meet the minimum requirements for that. Not sure how helpful learning styles, theories etc. will be because I'm doing an Educational Studies degree (done all that to death, haha) but I suppose it can't hurt. The extra money would be good too!
    Ah I see, will I guess then more linking the theory you already know with what you saw in the classroom

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi all!

I know that this year things have changed as regards PGCE application: we have to apply through UCAS and until Jan 2 we have to choose among three unis (= Application 1).

When application 1 is done, application 2 will begin we have to choose each uni, one by one. Does it means that Clearing has been abolished?

Seems that it will take ages to get a place after Jan following this new way of applying, what do you think?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying again this year, I was unsuccessful last year with PGCE and School Direct so hopefully I'll have a better chance this time.

I will be applying for Secondary Social Science or RE depending on what the options are like this year.

I have 3 years TA experience at a Secondary School working with SEN/Behaviour students.

Hope I win this year!

Amy

ReputationRep:
    I also had quite a few interviews last year and I passed my Numeracy/Literacy tests first time so I'd be happy to help anyone Although I was unsuccessful at the second round of interviews so my advice might not be so good there!

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing work experience in a year one class for two weeks, just completed my second day and the teacher asked what I wanted to do over the next two weeks - she basically said she will try and let me do anything I want to do if I let her know. From tomorrow she's going to start giving me the other TA's groups for numeracy and literacy and said I could read the story at the end of the day, but I couldn't really think of anything else in particular to ask to do. Just wondered if anyone could suggest anything I should try and do, or anything that would have been useful to have experience of for interviews etc? As I know some of you have past experience of PGCE interviews etc and I just want to make the most of this experience as I don't have that much experience in mainstream classes. Should I ask to take a whole class starter session or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amymcjohnson)
    I also had quite a few interviews last year and I passed my Numeracy/Literacy tests first time so I'd be happy to help anyone Although I was unsuccessful at the second round of interviews so my advice might not be so good there!
    What did you apply for last year, and what is your degree in?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.