Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bad AS results to great A2/A-levels results - success stories? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andaxay)
    Hallo, sorry for the late reply. Apparently AS was really hard this year for OCR so don't get too disheartened! Depending on what you got and how far you were off your desired grade, it wouldn't be impossible to resit both written exams. It depends whether you feel you can handle the workload - it's a whole year essentially so doing both could be difficult. Maybe look at your lowest-scoring one and see if you could get that higher to boost your grade as much as possible?

Content-wise at A2, there is a similar amount of stuff so there's no "extra" work as such, but the content can get quite tricky. I had bits that I understood straight away and bits that I struggled like hell with (looking at you, electromagnetic induction), so I felt like I had to put more work in to understand some of the stuff this year. The exams are harder, definitely. Compared to AS I found them a big step-up. The ISAs are around the same level of difficulty, I didn't feel they were too hard, though I scored lower than I was hoping to so don't write them off. Worth putting the effort in for them. Unit 5 can feel stupidly big and overwhelming but once you break it down it's not too bad.

Maybe chat to your teacher about resits but if you weren't far off where you wanted to be, I'd only advise resitting the lowest-scoring unit (or the one which will give you a large UMS increase) because doing both might be a bit much work-wise. Good luck.

Hi i got Cs in my exam and i am planning to retake most of my modjles alongside my a2. I want to get it right this time so i want to make sure that i go through the whole spec for both as and a2 and do ALL the past papers. However looking at the amount of work that needs to be done i am really stressing out on how can i cope with all of this.

Can i ask what was ur plan thoughout the year eg. WhAt did u do each month and also how you spread out the time for the past papers and notes to achieve a good grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeeva_tj)
    Wow congratulations. Can an E become a B without retaking?
    I got an E in AS economics and then resat both modules alongside my a2 modules and came out with a very high A. It can be done, but near enough impossible if you don't resit!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andaxay)
    Hallo, sorry for the late reply. Apparently AS was really hard this year for OCR so don't get too disheartened! Depending on what you got and how far you were off your desired grade, it wouldn't be impossible to resit both written exams. It depends whether you feel you can handle the workload - it's a whole year essentially so doing both could be difficult. Maybe look at your lowest-scoring one and see if you could get that higher to boost your grade as much as possible?

Content-wise at A2, there is a similar amount of stuff so there's no "extra" work as such, but the content can get quite tricky. I had bits that I understood straight away and bits that I struggled like hell with (looking at you, electromagnetic induction), so I felt like I had to put more work in to understand some of the stuff this year. The exams are harder, definitely. Compared to AS I found them a big step-up. The ISAs are around the same level of difficulty, I didn't feel they were too hard, though I scored lower than I was hoping to so don't write them off. Worth putting the effort in for them. Unit 5 can feel stupidly big and overwhelming but once you break it down it's not too bad.

Maybe chat to your teacher about resits but if you weren't far off where you wanted to be, I'd only advise resitting the lowest-scoring unit (or the one which will give you a large UMS increase) because doing both might be a bit much work-wise. Good luck.
    Thank you. I went into school and spoke to the teachers. I got U and I know 100% its not what I am capable of due to some unfortunate circumstances.
    I really like Unit 5 because its about particle physics and the universe that should be interesting. I will be resitting G482 and the coursework with my a2 I will take your advice.
    I usually tend to take alot of workload i think I will try stay calm and not hassle myself with resiting everything. I worked out i can get at least a C which then i can get a B at A2 hopefully.
    To anyone else who doesnt do well the key is to stay calm and move on from the set back and STAY POSITIVE! !

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rakib567)
    Hi i got Cs in my exam and i am planning to retake most of my modjles alongside my a2. I want to get it right this time so i want to make sure that i go through the whole spec for both as and a2 and do ALL the past papers. However looking at the amount of work that needs to be done i am really stressing out on how can i cope with all of this.

Can i ask what was ur plan thoughout the year eg. WhAt did u do each month and also how you spread out the time for the past papers and notes to achieve a good grade.
    Hi

I think you should make a study timetable one you get your lesson timeable. Keep organised and stay on top of homework and if u dont understand always ask dont be shy. Also condense notes so they arnt long amd waffly. Stick notes around room for constant reminder.

Once u underatand something write down on ur timable to recap 2 weeks later. Eg maths u might think u know it but dont leave until last minute to refresh knowledge its so easy to forget. Dont revise 24/7 i did this and i was always tired. 45 min max and then take break.

With the work load chunk into small pieces it wont seem like a lot then. NEVER DO A PAST PAPER UNLESS ITS TIMED this also meams no distractions or peeking at answers go to a quiet place.

It might seem daunting but stay healthy on inside and what u eat affect how u concentrate and function. Drink water constantly. Thats all i got hope it helps.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rakusmaximus)
    After AS year I had BCCD, I just finished 2nd year with ABB, only around 8/9 UMS off AAA.
    i underestimated how hard the first exams would be after GCSE, so did badly at first, then really started to work, and this June i did 9 exams and ended up with 8 A's and a B.
    it is possible!
    Did you do retake while doing A2 subjects? Did you start revising AS subject right from the beginning of the year or a few months before exam? Thanks. My parents want me to do whole AS year again then do A2 alone. Is it possible?

ReputationRep:
    I got ABCC in AS in Maths,Chemistry, Biology and Physics. I'm self-studying this year due to personal problems and my college not taking me on for A2 for those reasons.

Is it possible to bring my marks up to AAA with the help of personal tutors and teaching myself?

ReputationRep:
    I got aBBD for my AS grades in religious studies, mathematics, biology and chemistry.

Do you think it's possible to bring a D in chemistry up to an A? I know I need to take a gap year as my current predictions are not good enough for what I wish to study (dentistry).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 97makeup)
    I got aBBD for my AS grades in religious studies, mathematics, biology and chemistry.

Do you think it's possible to bring a D in chemistry up to an A? I know I need to take a gap year as my current predictions are not good enough for what I wish to study (dentistry).
    If the school lets u do chemisitry at a2 then u can retake most of the modules u messed up on and take the a2 modules along side it. If u get an avg of 80% then u can get an A. If you fet an avg of 80% and u get 90% in ur a2 modules u can fet an a*

ReputationRep:
    for AS i got BBCC and i want to study medicine. My predicted grades are AAB (chemistry). Should i apply for foundation courses or take a gap year apply with my hopefuller BETTER A2 grades? I am such an idiot i booked my UKCAT on the 18th and I have done minimal preparation i know I won't do well .

ReputationRep:
    for AS i got BCCC for maths biology chemistry and religious studies .... is it possible for me to bring that up to AAB as i really want to do optometry ( i was 1 mark away from a B for chemistry).... just wondering???

ReputationRep:
    I seem to reply to threads like this every year but oh well.

I recieved CCDE at AS in Geography, Business, Economics and Philosophy (in that order).

I dropped philosophy and did 2 retakes in January for AS, alongside my 3 A2 exams, one for each subject. I recieved AABBC. I then did 8 exams in June (5 retakes) and recieved similar results.

I ended up achieveing AAA, mainly due to getting 100% in E2 retake and 90% in B2 + B3 retakes.

You can do it, AS results arent the last chance, but I would warn you that you will not get a good Uni offer over the year, youll have to go through clearing.

Hope this helps, peace.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AidenBains)
    At AS I took History, Maths, Physics and Computing and got ACCC respectively.

For A2 I dropped Computing and put in far more work, ending up with AAB and got into the University of Bath (my first choice)

If anyone felt they did badly at AS and took four subjects I cannot encourage you enough to drop one and focus on three.

You got into bath!! What course did you pick?? And did you apply for bath and get in with predicted grades (the conditional offer) or did you re apply once you got your a2 results and get in for the same year??
    Did you resit some as exams?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nukethemaly)
    During my AS year I got DDDE in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and Maths. I was really lazy during my AS year and hardly put in any effort or attended lessons. Those results were a big wake up call. I started working harder, retook almost all my AS modules along with my A2, and I got my results back yesterday. I got A*A*AA in Maths, Biology, Chemistry, and Physics.

SO YOUR LIFE ISN'T OVER! You can still get the grades, you just need to be willing and hard-working.

Is that the overall or only a2 results?

ReputationRep:
    I took a year out because I did so bad in my exams. I lost motivation, parents weren't happy at all and showed no support, felt embarrassed to tell my friends. All of that itself, made me want to prove something.
    I changed college with overall grades of DDEB in Maths, Chem, Physics and Psychology. Retook my maths, chem and physics. Literally resat everything except maybe one or two exams. I worked my ass off, asked for help when I needed it, did every past paper, made sure I didn't mess about.
    I ended up coming out with A*AAB and now I am in university studying Pharmacy. I was so happy and telling my parents literally gave them the biggest shock.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jojo_555)
    I took a year out because I did so bad in my exams. I lost motivation, parents weren't happy at all and showed no support, felt embarrassed to tell my friends. All of that itself, made me want to prove something.
    I changed college with overall grades of DDEB in Maths, Chem, Physics and Psychology. Retook my maths, chem and physics. Literally resat everything except maybe one or two exams. I worked my ass off, asked for help when I needed it, did every past paper, made sure I didn't mess about.
    I ended up coming out with A*AAB and now I am in university studying Pharmacy. I was so happy and telling my parents literally gave them the biggest shock.
    That is so good! Hwo would u say u revised as alonside a2? Also how did u balance? I am so confuseeed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jojo_555)
    Wow, congratulations on your results! I also want to do Pharmacy at university hopefully next year. And I'll be applying with BBBC AS grades in chemistry, psychology, sociology and Maths. Just waiting on my predicted grades. I really want A's in all of my subjects, so any advice on how to achieve these grades, and university preparation will be helpful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    AS Results: BDD -> B in History, D in Maths, D in Physics

^ I am willing to die to get my grades of 'ABB-BBB to study Physics';I'm willing to do whatever it absolutely takes if it means days on end with little sleep day in day out because I know I can get there even if others don't see it in me I have to see it in myself.

I know what I'm worth & I've taken the hit but I haven't given up because I know everyone is human & failing doesn't make me a failure as long as I don't quit because 'Success is gained through consistency.'

A2 = My year, I'm going to set the precedent.

To other A2 Students:It's okay if sometimes things don't go to plan but as long as you have the heart & are willing to go the distance you will get there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxKingSniprxX)
    AS Results: BDD -> B in History, D in Maths, D in Physics

^ I am willing to die to get my grades of 'ABB-BBB to study Physics';I'm willing to do whatever it absolutely takes if it means days on end with little sleep day in day out because I know I can get there even if others don't see it in me I have to see it in myself.

I know what I'm worth & I've taken the hit but I haven't given up because I know everyone is human & failing doesn't make me a failure as long as I don't quit because 'Success is gained through consistency.'

A2 = My year, I'm going to set the precedent.

To other A2 Students:It's okay if sometimes things don't go to plan but as long as you have the heart & are willing to go the distance you will get there.
    Omg this explains me exactly but i did sociology instead. i got a U in physics and i know it doesnt represent what I am actually capable of because sometimes life hits u hard u just have to hit back and get up. All I can say it to everyone dont give up. I am also doing physics at uni but applying for deffered entry.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Did you resit year 12??
    I got an E at AS chemistry and I'm wondering if I can bring it up to a C/B without having to redo the whole year. I'm fine with my other results, just have to resit chemistry really.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fading_away97)
    Omg this explains me exactly but i did sociology instead. i got a U in physics and i know it doesnt represent what I am actually capable of because sometimes life hits u hard u just have to hit back and get up. All I can say it to everyone dont give up. I am also doing physics at uni but applying for deffered entry.

Good luck
    Good luck as-well, remember this is our year to set the precedent.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.