Hull Applicants 2014 Watch

sheedah
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
im studying law llb! does anyone know the reading list for year 1?
megan5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Caroline96)
Hi, i am staying at Morgan too, I'm studying biology. I think I am in block A??
Yay, I've finally found someone staying at Morgan, I think I am staying in block A too
emijay95
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm starting in September, doing LLB Law with Criminology is there anyone staying in Taylor Court - Brantingham House?
stephenkeane
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by NathanPetch)
Hi Stephen,
I'm going to be a Hull History student too. Nice to meet you in advance. I think many people are nervous, me included! Is anyone else on the thread studying History?
Hi Nathan glad to find someone else doing history, not come across anyone else yet. I have received confirmation of my funding now, registration is on 29th Setember. Do you live locally? I do, so if you need a heads up about Hull both the uni and the place let me know. Look forward to meeting you on the course.
NathanPetch
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by stephenkeane)
Hi Nathan glad to find someone else doing history, not come across anyone else yet. I have received confirmation of my funding now, registration is on 29th Setember. Do you live locally? I do, so if you need a heads up about Hull both the uni and the place let me know. Look forward to meeting you on the course.
The is someone else on the thread called Jaz who is doing the course as well, and I've had a brief chat with her. I'm in the same boat as you in terms of funding, and luckily living locally in the area like yourself. I travel to Hull on a regular basis, living in the Withernsea - Patrington area to the east. Jaz is just across the bridge, so glad to know there's a local bunch on the course. Would be interesting to meet others from further-a-field as well.
stephenkeane
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yep I live in Driffield, I'm hoping to get a car park permit. I have no idea what expect from the course Nathan. Apparently 6 - 9 hours of lectures etc a week, the rest of it is your own study.
NathanPetch
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yep I live in Driffield, I'm hoping to get a car park permit. I have no idea what expect from the course Nathan. Apparently 6 - 9 hours of lectures etc a week, the rest of it is your own study.
A car park permit will be a necessity then - if you are coming all that way from Driffield. And I feel the same regarding what to expect from the course and its associated essays, exams, etc. 6-9 hours sounds fair for the type of degree, and I suppose all the extra reading has a large role to play in this. All in all, however, it sounds very interesting!
stephenkeane
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Defo Nathan I sure it will be fascinating, my great interest is military history, but hopefully we will cover a broad range of subjects. Did you go to the open day? I did the tutors I spoke to seemed really friendly. I had an interview as well with a professor as I am a mature student, to decide if I needed to do a foundation year which I didn't.
Smiler84
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm 29 and doing Psychology with Criminology. I'll also live Beverley. Despite my age. I'll still tale part in the freshers events, great way to meet people. Can't wait to start 👍
JBrazier
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by megan5)
Is anyone living at Morgan the lawns or is doing physics with astrophysics???
im doing same course as you, dont know what hall yet though :/
ComradeLeo
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by JBrazier)
im doing same course as you, dont know what hall yet though :/
Also on this course, though not 'with Astrophysics'. Living in student house on auckland.
NathanPetch
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Defo Nathan I sure it will be fascinating, my great interest is military history, but hopefully we will cover a broad range of subjects. Did you go to the open day? I did the tutors I spoke to seemed really friendly. I had an interview as well with a professor as I am a mature student, to decide if I needed to do a foundation year which I didn't.
Yeah, the open day was great! Really friendly tutors and other undergraduates made the university seem really welcoming. I will have to agree with you regarding the military history - it is favourite historical theme. That is good then, not having to do a foundation year.
JBrazier
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ComradeLeo)
Also on this course, though not 'with Astrophysics'. Living in student house on auckland.
Hi, iv been allocated a student house somewhere close to the university - not sure which yet, theyre sorting it out,,, are the houses nice, is it a nice area? Whats it like? Pleasant place?
stephenkeane
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi, iv been allocated a student house somewhere close to the university - not sure which yet, theyre sorting it out,,, are the houses nice, is it a nice area? Whats it like? Pleasant place?
Some are some not so prestigious, like everywhere.
ComradeLeo
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The area is nice, there is literally everything you need within short walking distance. Houses really do vary, I was put in a post grad house last year that had no end of repairs needed. There was some kind of tumble dryer lottery, where some houses got the coveted device and a lot didn't (when it was raining near constantly last winter praying for the rain to stop so you could hang stuff on the line was the foremost reason for wanting the constant downpour to stop.). Some areas have better wi-fi coverage, ours was non-existant as we were on the end of the road and we could only get it in a tiny corner in the lounge, but if I went across the road to a friends I had no problems. I also think someone was trolling the accommodation office when they chose the colour of the new sofas and stools, the bright purple sofas are a bit of a eyesore and clash with the neon cyan stools they got to go with them. Apart from small niggles like that the houses are good.

The niceness of your house will very much depend on the cleanliness of your housemates ultimately.
Jamito
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi all,

I'll be studying BA Marketing and Business Economics (International) this year. However, I've no idea where I'll be living yet..

Best wishes to everyone starting!
NathanPetch
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The area is nice, there is literally everything you need within short walking distance. Houses really do vary, I was put in a post grad house last year that had no end of repairs needed. There was some kind of tumble dryer lottery, where some houses got the coveted device and a lot didn't (when it was raining near constantly last winter praying for the rain to stop so you could hang stuff on the line was the foremost reason for wanting the constant downpour to stop.). Some areas have better wi-fi coverage, ours was non-existant as we were on the end of the road and we could only get it in a tiny corner in the lounge, but if I went across the road to a friends I had no problems. I also think someone was trolling the accommodation office when they chose the colour of the new sofas and stools, the bright purple sofas are a bit of a eyesore and clash with the neon cyan stools they got to go with them. Apart from small niggles like that the houses are good.

The niceness of your house will very much depend on the cleanliness of your housemates ultimately.
Hi, thanks for your info. I imagine everybody being allocated to a student house this year are feeling nervous and hoping that they get decent housemates. Just hoping that I get placed in a faultless house now!
NathanPetch
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jamito)
Hi all,

I'll be studying BA Marketing and Business Economics (International) this year. However, I've no idea where I'll be living yet..

Best wishes to everyone starting!
Thanks. Best wishes to you too!
JBrazier
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

How many people per house usually? Do people in different houses interact with each other? thanks a lot
ComradeLeo
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
How many people per house usually? Do people in different houses interact with each other? thanks a lot
6 rooms per house, so 6 people. 1 shower, two toilets. I do not feel 1 shower is enough for the amount of people in one house especially when everyone may be starting their day at the same time. International students are primary residents of the student houses, there is a lot of diversity.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (52)
28.42%
No - I got the required grades (108)
59.02%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (23)
12.57%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise