Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Looking at the pay scales for my organisation, I'll be on £31k next year, 45-50k within around four years, and can reasonably expect to reach 60-70k at some point. If I make it up to the top 250 or so positions (which isn't totally unrealistic) the scale tops out around 140k.

All of that is potentially boosted by periods receiving cost of living adjustments, hazard pay, or rent free living.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ManifoldManifest)
    Looking at the pay scales for my organisation, I'll be on £31k next year, 45-50k within around four years, and can reasonably expect to reach 60-70k at some point. If I make it up to the top 250 or so positions (which isn't totally unrealistic) the scale tops out around 140k.

All of that is potentially boosted by periods receiving cost of living adjustments, hazard pay, or rent free living.
    That's actually quite good, I would not mind that. £65k isn't so bad; not incredible, but not bad, especially with a partner earning a decent amount too. Certainly just about enough to put into ISAs or save to invest, to get richer. Then, of course, there is the opportunity to break 100k (my true goal) if you work hard and productively enough to make the top 250... You mind me asking what organisation/field this is?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alevelzzz)
    My friend is in a similar situation, kinda.
    He's like super smart in terms of maths and economics but he always wanted a high status job. Money isn't a factor, his dad runs a multi million pound business and my mate is his only son...

So hes studying dentistry, hes going to be a dentist, and hes already guaranteed to be a millionaire OUTSIDE of dentistry.

Hes iranian, and his dad has promised him an R8 when he graduates.

Hes set for ****ing life LOL
    Wow, lucky him, that's a true dream. An inheritance like that... I could just do property development/live off rent/buy a business if I were him. An R8? Jeesh good for him. Lol, I'm Iranian myself, and it's weird. Almost every other one I know is also a (genuine) millionaire, largely cos of how London property prices have gone (decent ones in Zone 2 ~£1.5mil+ easily). Again, dentistry... I can only hope my economics degree pays off to at least an above average standard. That would be nice. If not, I'll definitely save to get an MSc or MBA, though I don't know if the £35-£60k required for that could be better spent investing in/buying a business, or stocks...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I honestly think life is going to hit some of you like a ton of bricks. Do you have any idea how few high level jobs there are for the almost 50% of the population who will have a degree when you guys graduate?

Unless you have money or family connections, are very lucky or you are willing to **** people over or sacrifice your entire life for money you probably won't earn more than £50,000 ever. Probably less. I know people with firsts from Oxford who earn about £20,000 a year in their 30's and they don't have the sort of student debt you guys will have. In fact I only know one person who earns more than fifty grand a year, and he had to move to New York and spend his life at a computer to get it. He is 35 now and looks 50.

Do something you love and work for passion, not money, or you will probably be too old, cynical and burned out to enjoy it anyway. What you are selling is your LIFE remember.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wisefire)
    Wow, lucky him, that's a true dream. An inheritance like that... I could just do property development/live off rent/buy a business if I were him. An R8? Jeesh good for him. Lol, I'm Iranian myself, and it's weird. Almost every other one I know is also a (genuine) millionaire, largely cos of how London property prices have gone (decent ones in Zone 2 ~£1.5mil+ easily). Again, dentistry... I can only hope my economics degree pays off to at least an above average standard. That would be nice. If not, I'll definitely save to get an MSc or MBA, though I don't know if the £35-£60k required for that could be better spent investing in/buying a business, or stocks...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    His dad already owns around 14 houses including his multi million pound business LOL. My mate was telling me he went to an auction with his dad, his dad bought the first house at the auction (100k), when my mate asked him how much he needed to lend from the bank, his dad said 'Don't need any money from the bank'.

To this day my mate can only guess how much his business earns his dad, his dad wont say...

He owns a franchise of 15 takeaway shops, a mid size cash and carry, at 14 properties, ranging up to 300k.

Im guessing around 4-5mil JUST from the assets... (BTW THIS ISN'T EVEN IN THE SOUTH OF ENGLAND)
    And he is an only ****ing child LOL

ReputationRep:
    Lol when was a sapper in the army with only GCSE's and I was on 27k had about £1700 a month in my pocket after tax and accommodation.

If you are doing a degree purely in the hope of getting a well paid job, you could be wasting your time, in that 3 years you are studing a subject you may not really care about, you could be doing a job getting experience and increasing your pay so that you would actually have more money in the long term.

If you are doing a degree because it is somthing you enjoy, fair play.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy Cr)
    Unless you have money or family connections, are very lucky or you are willing to **** people over or sacrifice your entire life for money you probably won't earn more than £50,000 ever. Probably less.
    I'm 29 and work in the public sector.
    Before I applied for my current jobs I emailed the two people I knew who could be interested and asked if they were going for it. There were more roles than them so I applied.
    I'm on £49,400 with a payrise due in the next couple of months.
    (no family connections at all)

Care to explain your post - I'm confused...

ReputationRep:
    If not, I'll definitely save to get an MSc or MBA, though I don't know if the £35-£60k required for that could be better spent investing in/buying a business, or stocks...
    What the hell would a MSc or MBA get you that you can't with a BSc and experience?

Or an undergrad masters at least?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy Cr)
    Unless you have money or family connections, are very lucky or you are willing to **** people over or sacrifice your entire life for money you probably won't earn more than £50,000 ever.
    Dentistry y0.
    35-40 hour week, 50k is considered a **** wage for a dentist. Making an improvement in people's lives and confidence, you don't sacrifice your life what so ever and its pretty much impossible to earn less than 50k full time.

ReputationRep:
    His dad already owns around 14 houses including his multi million pound business LOL. My mate was telling me he went to an auction with his dad, his dad bought the first house at the auction (100k), when my mate asked him how much he needed to lend from the bank, his dad said 'Don't need any money from the bank'.

To this day my mate can only guess how much his business earns his dad, his dad wont say...

He owns a franchise of 15 takeaway shops, a mid size cash and carry, at 14 properties, ranging up to 300k.

Im guessing around 4-5mil JUST from the assets... (BTW THIS ISN'T EVEN IN THE SOUTH OF ENGLAND)
    And he is an only ****ing child LOL
    Still not as wealthy as about 15 people I know, if you wanna play some competition I guessed that (net worth at least 5mil). Of course he'd be well in excess of one meagre million. Once you have a million, it's so much easier to make it into more. Just... How do I get there. That's a ballers life, eh. Hell, I have 2 standards/expectations for myself. One is the middle-class aspiration (500-800k London property, which isn't much here, a 60-100k car, and just enough money to invest, go travel in the car/have holidays/eat good food/go to nice shops and be a frequenter of restaurants/go to bars and interesting, social places within London). The other is the one where I'm rich. Basically all of the ability and net worth of what I've just said (call it 750k net worth), multiplied by 2.5x. I'd consider myself genuinely rich after 2 and a bit million. Impossible unless I start a business (or buy one, most likely), invest in property, become a high flying City boy or become a big director/CEO.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MUN123)
    lol, I am a graduate and all the entry level starter jobs for junior Software developer/engineers is less than 20k, you'd expect that they'll pay a respectful some after quoting loads of skills on job description i.e must know C++, C#, JAVA, python, oracle, JavaScript and the list goes on. Best thing to do is to look abroad that's what I am doing atm
    Or bump stupid dev crap and go into project management.

ReputationRep:
    Still not as wealthy as about 15 people I know, if you wanna play some competition I guessed that (net worth at least 5mil). Of course he'd be well in excess of one meagre million. Once you have a million, it's so much easier to make it into more. Just... How do I get there. That's a ballers life, eh. Hell, I have 2 standards/expectations for myself. One is the middle-class aspiration (500-800k London property, which isn't much here, a 60-100k car, and just enough money to invest, go travel in the car/have holidays/eat good food/go to nice shops and be a frequenter of restaurants/go to bars and interesting, social places within London). The other is the one where I'm rich. Basically all of the ability and net worth of what I've just said (call it 750k net worth), multiplied by 2.5x. I'd consider myself genuinely rich after 2 and a bit million. Impossible unless I start a business (or buy one, most likely), invest in property, become a high flying City boy or become a big director/CEO.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, bur not you.
    You are POOOOOOOOOORRRR!
    POOOORPEEERRRR!

ReputationRep:
    Still not as wealthy as about 15 people I know, if you wanna play some competition

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You gotta remember though, this guy doesn't live anywhere near london, we're talking midlands area...
    5 Mil in the Midlands is ****ing insane lol. A 60k salary here is unheard of pretty much.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The easiest way to make that kind of money in london is probably investment banking, and thats ****ing hard as it is.
    Even if you go to a Tier 1 banking uni, theres still a load of competition.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    What the hell would a MSc or MBA get you that you can't with a BSc and experience?

Or an undergrad masters at least?
    I'd only pursue a Masters (in finance or economics) if I get 75%+ in my UG/whatever the %age/grade is that's deemed high enough for you to be accepted by somewhere like Cambridge or LSE for it (I'd like to strive for a decent first not just cos of the better job prospects but the fact that this sort of opportunity may become feasible). It isn't a causation of increased earnings, sure, but surely more education will make you a slightly more favourable person when it comes to that day you submit your CV online for some senior role?

If I don't get that UG first that would allow me to go to an elite institution for an MSc, the £60K LBS MBA should set me up for good after I get 3-5 years of work experience. Depends on if I'm capable enough to get 700/800 in the GMAT, I'm aware. They advertise average salaries of £74k, and hopefully I can prove to be above average in the workplace, so I may be able to meet or exceed that salary. So, to answer your original question, an MBA (at least) looks to set you up for a role that pays at least £65k+? Sounds so narrow-minded and abysmally naive, all this talk of money, but I will be construed l concerned in the future if I fail to become supposedly middle-middle or upper-middle class (it's not a class thing I'm after anyhow, just a couple of life goals that require some cash).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I want to do something to do with Business. If I was a Business Manager I would probably be getting somewhere along the lines of £33971 per year but as long as I am better off than I am at the moment I'm not really bothered how much I earn.

ReputationRep:
    starting off 25k then in 3 years 30-32k moving to a band 6 of 38k as a superintendent by year 5 earning 47k and a consultant @ 85k.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The easiest way to make that kind of money in london is probably investment banking, and thats ****ing hard as it is.
    Even if you go to a Tier 1 banking uni, theres still a load of competition.
    Wait, you say "that kind"... Do you mean the thing about making a couple of million/being what I define to be as the minimum of rich, or do you mean I've got to go into IB to meet even my 'middle-class aspirations' (which anyhow I already am, just at the very lower end; I'd like to just get to the upper end of the middle class/be what I said in the former section of those descriptions)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Yeah, bur not you.
    You are POOOOOOOOOORRRR!
    POOOORPEEERRRR!
    You being sarcastic bro, or just genuinely vindictive :cool:? I appreciate I'm far from poor, and probably am better off than a number of people on this thread in nominal terms (household income before tax is £60k, which is crap even still, but it's not terrible, ik and am sane). But in real terms, my disposable income is squeezed af. You don't know just how squeezed, and THAT'S what makes me anxious mate. I don't want to end up continuing to be this squeezed. I want at least £1k disposable income per month. Atm there are some months where it's not even a tenth of that. I live in a world of wealth, yep. I'm the relatively poor one, in my school, and EVEN OUTSIDE OF SCHOOL, in London terms, IMO.

Btw could you give your response to my reply on the benefits of an MBA/Masters? Curious to understand.

Look. It hurts me when I say to myself "you're not poor, relax". It flipping irritates me to say it lol. I am, I think, relatively.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Wait, you say "that kind"... Do you mean the thing about making a couple of million/being what I define to be as the minimum of rich, or do you mean I've got to go into IB to meet even my 'middle-class aspirations' (which anyhow I already am, just at the very lower end; I'd like to just get to the upper end of the middle class/be what I said in the former section of those descriptions).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    making a couple of million, but TBH, I can't think of how you can make over 100k a year <30 years old in any other sector... Maybe dentistry, if you're VERY good and lucky

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.