Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Somali Society Mk III Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abdul-Karim)
    I was reading up on it at work and was wondering whether people in this country have had it done. Tbh, most users including yourselves have closed profiles on TSR so I don't see why personal experiences would matter very much. It seems like such a pre-historic practice which has no benefits. What are said benefits to FGM?
    I just don't think it's an appropriate question from a Muslim male to ask a Muslim female. I mean would you ask a girl that in real life? Of course not.

+ I have no idea sorry. I don't know know that much about FGM, nor do I know anyone who has had it done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by themorninglight)
    I just don't think it's an appropriate question from a Muslim male to ask a Muslim female. I mean would you ask a girl that in real life? Of course not.

+ I have no idea sorry. I don't know know that much about FGM, nor do I know anyone who has had it done.
    I wouldn't ask that question to a girl in real life, unless circumstances allowed. The internet =/= not real life. You're concern is noted, although the question weren't directed at you specifically.

Nonetheless, thanks for your input.

If I didn't ask questions, I'd never get answers. TSR is a place to share experiences and gain an insight into things I know little about.

Being Muslim shouldn't justify that I remain ignorant.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't ask that question to a girl in real life, unless circumstances allowed. The internet =/= not real life. You're concern is noted, although the question weren't directed at you specifically.

If I didn't ask questions, I'd never get answers. TSR is a place to share experiences and gain an insight into things I know little about.

Would you get your daughter circumcised? I wouldn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roger1)
    Would you get your daughter circumcised? I wouldn't.
    Hell no. It's the most disgusting thing I've read about.

ReputationRep:
    Hell no. It's the most disgusting thing I've read about.
    Good Muslim. :yy:

ReputationRep:
    How's life people?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

If you say so. Personally I like to behave the same way online w/ the opposite gender as in real life, but then again that could just be my own preference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Umar1)
    How's life people?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Umar waaa nooshahay!
    Where have u been hiding?

ReputationRep:
    Hi i saw the topic of FGM come up and just wondered what peoples opiniom.on it are?
    I personally think its quite wrong and stuggle to.understand why it does happen?
    sorry for just coming into the convo im not somali i hope you guys dont mind me posting on this thread

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XXSimmyXX)
    Hi i saw the topic of FGM come up and just wondered what peoples opiniom.on it are?
    I personally think its quite wrong and stuggle to.understand why it does happen?
    sorry for just coming into the convo im not somali i hope you guys dont mind me posting on this thread

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I dont like the idea of it at all. Does it happen in the south asian culture too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Secretnerd123)
    I dont like the idea of it at all. Does it happen in the south asian culture too?
    no not that im aware of
    but i do want to do something to like help the situation cos i think its quite bad but not sure what i can even do tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's disgusting, in my opinion. Neither am I, people from all races are welcome (apparently).

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think it's disgusting and so wrong! However, my mum has different ideas as it was so normal where she was so I'd guess you could say she I'd s product of her time. I'm glad she didn't do it to me or any of my siblings.

I know my mother got cut when she was young as something like 98%(?) of women born on Somalia but I don't personally know of anyone cut as a British Somali..hopefully sense prevails and it becomes outlawed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by themorninglight)
    Hi If you scroll up you can find a few posts about it. I don't think anyone here is in favour of it as it's unnecessary and im some cases can be very cruel. As for why, it's a cultural thing (a.k.a it's been done for years and no-one really knows why). It's not just confined to Somalia either as many think, but many countries over Africa. Also it's to clarify, it's not an Islamic custom whatsoever.

And don't worry about it, everyone is welcome here

okk i.will do i think i saw a few posts about it
    yhh i undertand its not just in somali culture or due to islam.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Secretnerd123)
    Umar waaa nooshahay!
    Where have u been hiding?
    Not doing much really tbh, fasting and this heat is a killer. So yeah been spending 99% of my time on twitter and work

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToLiveInADream)
    I think it's disgusting and so wrong! However, my mum has different ideas as it was so normal where she was so I'd guess you could say she I'd s product of her time. I'm glad she didn't do it to me or any of my siblings.

I know my mother got cut when she was young as something like 98%(?) of women born on Somalia but I don't personally know of anyone cut as a British Somali..hopefully sense prevails and it becomes outlawed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I hope it becomes outlawed too but i really feel for women who do go through ut even women not necessarily from the uk.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's disgusting, in my opinion. Neither am I, people from all races are welcome (apparently).
    Oh I feel quite welcomed now haha i was unsure whether to post thinking i would annoy people lool

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Oh I feel quite welcomed now haha i was unsure whether to post thinking i would annoy people lool

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's the internet, I don't think anyone would care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Umar1)
    Not doing much really tbh, fasting and this heat is a killer. So yeah been spending 99% of my time on twitter and work

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh lol. What do u do for work?

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Girl, you are more than welcome

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.