Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just had a final round partner interview for a TC at a firm. Should I send a thank you email to the partners who interviewed me? Neither of them offered me their business card, if it makes a difference...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacktc890)
    Look at yourself mate! You're a pre-vac schemer who's trying to school a current trainee at a MC firm about who actually gets TCs at MC firms. Seriously do me a favour.

My point is simple. I've yet to see someone convert a 2.2 into an actual MC TC offer. Vac scheme work experience is a different thing altogether and firms (the hiring partners) are far more reluctant when they have a multitude of outstanding candidates dying to join them to risk that amount of money spent training a trainee - about £200,000 all in - on someone with a 2.2 from a very average university.

It's unrealistic. If it does happen it does so in such minute numbers as to be completely irrelevant. Sorry to burst your bubble, but to get a TC at the very best of the magic circle firms like Freshfields, you need to be able to differentiate yourself from even the above average candidate. If the MC hired people with 2.2s but who had good post-grad results, then the poster would have a TC with a MC firm by now and wouldn't be reapplying in a new cycle for yet more work experience.
    'Mate', I think you may not be as omniscient as you like to think you are - you may well be more experienced than me, but I personally know people who are going to MC firms despite getting a 2:2 - I agree with you that it is rare, but it is ignorant and false to say that it's a minute number. Perhaps, only a minute number would be accepted if they held a conditional offer and subsequently got a 2:2, but for those who have graduated with a 2:2 but compensated for that elsewhere, it is by no means unheard of for them to be offered a training contract at a top firm.

You may want to consider calming down a bit, and perhaps find something better to do, since you're apparently established in work, than having a go at prospective applicants. By all means be helpful, but being so needlessly scathing is not helpful to anyone.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by limbo)
    I just had a final round partner interview for a TC at a firm. Should I send a thank you email to the partners who interviewed me? Neither of them offered me their business card, if it makes a difference...
    I wouldn't - but that's just my opinion!

If you get the TC you can always thank them afterwards.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Horse273)
    Since you are saying that the vac scheme selection process is a lot less strict than it is for the TC, do you know how many vac schemers who apply actually end up getting offered a TC?
    Depends on the firm. At the MC firms I have experience of its roughly 40/45%.
    At Cleary it was less.

I'm involved (a little) in TC recruitment at my firm as I'm a trainee rep. The firm tends to be even more strict for TC apps as unlike with VS the former involve a really substantial investment by the firm in you. Hence why 2.2s in my experience don't get through at my firm or the other MC firms I know of.
    Although perhaps CC, given what some VS posters are saying, is less selective than the othere as to academics/trainees with 2.2s thing although I don't know and haven't heard of any. Hope this answers your question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrlufc3131)
    'Mate', I think you may not be as omniscient as you like to think you are - you may well be more experienced than me, but I personally know people who are going to MC firms despite getting a 2:2 - I agree with you that it is rare, but it is ignorant and false to say that it's a minute number. Perhaps, only a minute number would be accepted if they held a conditional offer and subsequently got a 2:2, but for those who have graduated with a 2:2 but compensated for that elsewhere, it is by no means unheard of for them to be offered a training contract at a top firm.

You may want to consider calming down a bit, and perhaps find something better to do, since you're apparently established in work, than having a go at prospective applicants. By all means be helpful, but being so needlessly scathing is not helpful to anyone.
    If it does happen it is an absolutely minute number although maybe CC accepts a lot of trainees with 2.2s although I haven't heard of it.

Making out that applicants with 2.2s have a chance of getting a MC TC to my mind is dishonest especially coming from someone with very limited experience of the TC process.These firms are some of the most selective and competitive in the world.

People with 2.2s are struggling to get TCs at all - at any firm. You're giving a false impression from my vantage point of what is at best a very minute possibility.

A guy I was at college with got a 2.2 and has since done a masters. He's a great guy and his 2.2 was from Cambridge and he did have mitigating circumstances. For two years he has yet to get a TC interview and struggles to get any paralegal work. He's now writing a book.

I'm sorry I'm by no means omniscient but I do think I have a more accurate perception of this than you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by baz0)
    Hey, has anyone had an interview with Jones Day who could tell me how long I should expect to wait for a reply if successful or unsuccessful (if they even respond to the latter?) Thanks
    Interviewed for the Summer Vacation Scheme and got an offer after four days, had a friend who interviewed and was rejected after two days. Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    If it does happen it is an absolutely minute number although maybe CC accepts a lot of trainees with 2.2s although I haven't heard of it.

Making out that applicants with 2.2s have a chance of getting a MC TC to my mind is dishonest especially coming from someone with very limited experience of the TC process.These firms are some of the most selective and competitive in the world.

People with 2.2s are struggling to get TCs at all - at any firm. You're giving a false impression from my vantage point of what is at best a very minute possibility.

A guy I was at college with got a 2.2 and has since done a masters. He's a great guy and his 2.2 was from Cambridge and he did have mitigating circumstances. For two years he has yet to get a TC interview and struggles to get any paralegal work. He's now writing a book.

I'm sorry I'm by no means omniscient but I do think I have a more accurate perception of this than you.
    Agree. I'm at a SC firm & haven't come across this either & definitely not at MC firms. Ignore the silly vac schemer. At least wait until you get a Tc before lecturing others.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tontyursdg)
    Agree. I'm at a SC firm & haven't come across this either & definitely not at MC firms. Ignore the silly vac schemer. At least wait until you get a Tc before lecturing others.
    Although maybe be part of the selection process before lecturing others as well then...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tontyursdg)
    Did you really need to create a new account just to make sure you could p*ss on someone's parade? And the rest of this applies to both you and Jack: What happened to this thread being people giving genuine advice and feedback on their own experience of applications?

And don't give me the b*llocks of 'hurr durr you can't expect me to just blindly praise them when this is my genuine opinion!' because if you really are too stupid to understand the difference between tactlessly putting others down VS giving constructive criticism, then you actually lack the people and communication skills required for this career (inb4 angry retort saying you are doing fine in this career - but maybe you would do better if you displayed better people skills - you certainly aren't winning any friends here, who could easily be clients or colleagues to you!)

eg 'in my experience/I always felt that having a 2:2 wouldn't be sufficient to break into X firm, but good luck!' shows just that little bit more compassion, plus shows you would be willing to take on board a response which would be in equal good faith because you haven't been a jerk - for example perhaps a 'thank you for your opinion, but I still applied as I know of someone there who has a 2:2 / I felt the other factors in my application would give me a shot.'

And if you still cannot agree, if you are still that resolute on your opinion, then instead of being a jerk or crying 'lies' maybe just agree to disagree, wish each other luck and go about your own lives - it really is that simple, and noone has to get hurt: TSR is supposed to be a supportive community and this sort of attitude really detracts from that.

As I am sure you are full aware, at the end of your TC, if you wish to remain at that firm they do still have to choose you. And almost every firm I've been researching in deciding where to apply has maintained an attitude of teamwork, looking for trainees who will cooperate with everyone and not backstab to get ahead, and not be terrible to work with. I'm not saying you are terrible to work with so don't get defensive: all I'm saying is that if you treat people you disagree with IRL the same way as on here, that undesirable person will be you.

I hope you take some of this on board, and we can FINALLY get this thread back on track, which is everyone advising and rooting for each other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TykeDragon)
    Did you really need to create a new account just to make sure you could p*ss on someone's parade? And the rest of this applies to both you and Jack: What happened to this thread being people giving genuine advice and feedback on their own experience of applications?

And don't give me the b*llocks of 'hurr durr you can't expect me to just blindly praise them when this is my genuine opinion!' because if you really are too stupid to understand the difference between tactlessly putting others down VS giving constructive criticism, then you actually lack the people and communication skills required for this career (inb4 angry retort saying you are doing fine in this career - but maybe you would do better if you displayed better people skills - you certainly aren't winning any friends here, who could easily be clients or colleagues to you!)

eg 'in my experience/I always felt that having a 2:2 wouldn't be sufficient to break into X firm, but good luck!' shows just that little bit more compassion, plus shows you would be willing to take on board a response which would be in equal good faith because you haven't been a jerk - for example perhaps a 'thank you for your opinion, but I still applied as I know of someone there who has a 2:2 / I felt the other factors in my application would give me a shot.'

And if you still cannot agree, if you are still that resolute on your opinion, then instead of being a jerk or crying 'lies' maybe just agree to disagree, wish each other luck and go about your own lives - it really is that simple, and noone has to get hurt: TSR is supposed to be a supportive community and this sort of attitude really detracts from that.

As I am sure you are full aware, at the end of your TC, if you wish to remain at that firm they do still have to choose you. And almost every firm I've been researching in deciding where to apply has maintained an attitude of teamwork, looking for trainees who will cooperate with everyone and not backstab to get ahead, and not be terrible to work with. I'm not saying you are terrible to work with so don't get defensive: all I'm saying is that if you treat people you disagree with IRL the same way as on here, that undesirable person will be you.

I hope you take some of this on board, and we can FINALLY get this thread back on track, which is everyone advising and rooting for each other.
    Yawn........

ReputationRep:
    Yawn........
    I hope my time as a trainee proves more fulfilling than yours. Imagine resorting to trolling a vac scheme thread in your spare time as a MC trainee.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantpot201)
    I hope my time as a trainee proves more fulfilling than yours. Imagine resorting to trolling a vac scheme thread in your spare time as a MC trainee.
    I wouldn't have thought a MC trainee to be so childish tbh... but as long as he stops trying to point score against VS hopefuls like a kn*b then that's progress, hopefully this is the end of the pointless digression of the past few pages!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TykeDragon)
    I wouldn't have thought a MC trainee to be so childish tbh... but as long as he stops trying to point score against VS hopefuls like a kn*b then that's progress, hopefully this is the end of the pointless digression of the past few pages!!
    You are tragic. Look forward to seeing you trawling this forum for years looking for a training contract. Haha...

ReputationRep:
    how common is it for firms to say that any TC offer etc made is conditional on a commendation in the GDL? Pinsent Masons website says that and I haven't seen it anywhere else, are they just being picky or is that what most firms expect?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pug08)
    how common is it for firms to say that any TC offer etc made is conditional on a commendation in the GDL? Pinsent Masons website says that and I haven't seen it anywhere else, are they just being picky or is that what most firms expect?
    Most firms will just be conditional on you passing the GDL and/or LPC, the ones I know haven't asked for a specific grade.

The policy on taking resits on modules varies much more though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Please note any specific questions you would like answered at interview.
    Is this a trick question on the Weil application form? What exactly are they looking for? I have plenty of questions I would ask at interview but it just seems strange to have to put them in the online form.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcrlawstudent)
    Is this a trick question on the Weil application form? What exactly are they looking for? I have plenty of questions I would ask at interview but it just seems strange to have to put them in the online form.
    It's not a trick question.

It's in case you have anything technical/specific, the interviewers won't know so they can prepare the answers (if it is beyond them giving an opinion on something).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-SP)
    It's not a trick question.

It's in case you have anything technical/specific, the interviewers won't know so they can prepare the answers (if it is beyond them giving an opinion on something).

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks J-SP!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mcrlawstudent)
    Thanks J-SP!
    They obviously also help to flag up people who have not really done basic research (e.g. How long is your training contract?), but if you have questions you'd really like answered and the answers are not on their website/in their brochure, you shouldn't be concerned about putting them down.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody heard from CMS Cameron McKenna yet (after completing the critical reasoning test)? Submitted about 4 weeks ago and no reply as of yet

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.