Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I really want to go to one of Oxford's open days.

I got 3 A*'s, 6 A's, 3 B's and 1 C at GCSE, and i really want to study music.

Do i still have a chance of applying? >-<

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tilly5798)

Link to Ox open days: http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/under...ity-open-days#

Generally speaking your GCSE grades are on the low side for Oxford, many applicants will get 8+ A* - however, I don't know specifically about music... the Ox Music website says AAA at A-Level... is that realistic? Your wider circumstances will also be taken into account...

I would read through this:

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/under...-listing/music

And this:

http://www.ox.ac.uk/sites/files/oxfo...20brochure.pdf

...and definitely go to an open day.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gerald DGrilla)
    Link to Ox open days: http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/under...ity-open-days#

Generally speaking your GCSE grades are on the low side for Oxford, many applicants will get 8+ A* - however, I don't know specifically about music... the Ox Music website says AAA at A-Level... is that realistic? Your wider circumstances will also be taken into account...

I would read through this:

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/under...-listing/music

And this:

http://www.ox.ac.uk/sites/files/oxfo...20brochure.pdf

...and definitely go to an open day.

Good luck
    Thank you for replying-

I know my GCSE grades are quite low, but will i have a better chance if i do well in my AS Levels?

ReputationRep:
    I want to do the joint mathematics and computer science course at Oxford. I'm doing maths, further maths, physics and computing at AS. I also got 7 A*s at GCSE if that helps. With computing the course wasn't what they told me it was - it was all writing up analysis and design for a project. The little programming we did do was just told to us - we didn't really learn it.
    But because I have messed up the coursework, the highest I can get is a B. The other three are going really well and I'm confident I will get strong A's in those. I'm dropping computing for A2 and will spend the extra time doing a lot of extra reading to gain a deep understanding of the subject at university.
    Will the B at AS affect my application? I know that the computer science course is for me, but they might think that if I got a B in computing and then dropped it that it may not be for me? Or will they not mind and care more about the other three and my extra reading? Thanks

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackherbert077)
    I want to do the joint mathematics and computer science course at Oxford. I'm doing maths, further maths, physics and computing at AS. I also got 7 A*s at GCSE if that helps. With computing the course wasn't what they told me it was - it was all writing up analysis and design for a project. The little programming we did do was just told to us - we didn't really learn it.
    But because I have messed up the coursework, the highest I can get is a B. The other three are going really well and I'm confident I will get strong A's in those. I'm dropping computing for A2 and will spend the extra time doing a lot of extra reading to gain a deep understanding of the subject at university.
    Will the B at AS affect my application? I know that the computer science course is for me, but they might think that if I got a B in computing and then dropped it that it may not be for me? Or will they not mind and care more about the other three and my extra reading? Thanks
    Don't worry, the Oxford tutors are wise enough not to let things like that get in the way

(Bear in mind though that programming is a relatively small part of the Oxford CS course, it is very mathematically focused.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fluteflute)
    Don't worry, the Oxford tutors are wise enough not to let things like that get in the way

(Bear in mind though that programming is a relatively small part of the Oxford CS course, it is very mathematically focused.)
    Oh, thank god, that is good news. Maths is my strong point anyway. I knew that no knowledge of computer science was required to do the course, but I thought that the fact that I took computing, then didn't do very well and dropped it would make them think that maybe I shouldn't be doing it.
    What would you say are the most important parts of my application? Is the main thing getting strong A's in maths, further maths and physics, and then doing a lot of extra reading to show a genuine interest for the subject?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jackherbert077)
    Oh, thank god, that is good news. Maths is my strong point anyway. I knew that no knowledge of computer science was required to do the course, but I thought that the fact that I took computing, then didn't do very well and dropped it would make them think that maybe I shouldn't be doing it.
    What would you say are the most important parts of my application? Is the main thing getting strong A's in maths, further maths and physics, and then doing a lot of extra reading to show a genuine interest for the subject?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Being good at maths is the most important thing. Make sure you do well at the MAT (although note that 'doing well' will involve getting a much lower percentage correct than you're used to at A level).

But yes showing that you are actually interested in CS is no bad thing, whether through reading or a small programming project of some form.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I just thought I'd mention that I'm a CompSci offer holder for St Anne's College (2015 entry) so feel free to PM me with any questions if you wish :P Good luck to all of you

ReputationRep:

I also want to study music What A levels are you currently studying?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Omni Vanitas)
    I also want to study music What A levels are you currently studying?
    Awesome, i have finally found someone who wants to study music xD

Music, German, Latin and Biology, how about you?

ReputationRep:
    Awesome, i have finally found someone who wants to study music xD

Music, German, Latin and Biology, how about you?
    Haha great choice! I'm studying English,Spanish, French and Music! What college are you thinking of ?

ReputationRep:
    Haha great choice! I'm studying English,Spanish, French and Music! What college are you thinking of ?
    Same to you! I honestly haven't got a clue, as all of the colleges look lovely. How about you?

ReputationRep:
    Same to you! I honestly haven't got a clue, as all of the colleges look lovely. How about you?
    Yes they do! I was thinking Magdalen or Jesus, but in the end it doesn't matter as most people don't go to their number 1 choice.

Well, hope to see you in December!

ReputationRep:
    Yes they do! I was thinking Magdalen or Jesus, but in the end it doesn't matter as most people don't go to their number 1 choice.

Well, hope to see you in December!
    Magdalen is suppose to be a good college- Apparently, St Peters have a very good music faculty.

Yes, you too!

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

I also have an offer - mine is for French and Philosophy at St John's - so if you have any questions about preparation/interviews, please feel free to ask!

Good luck with your exams this year

ReputationRep:
    Anyone out there studied English at Oxford. Any insights if you had to choose between Magdalen, LMH or Univ?
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of human sciences at Oxford

ReputationRep:
    How do i apply to go to summer school at Oxford Uni? Could anyone possibly send me a link- i would like to do a music course (whether at Oxford or not)?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that's quite correct.

http://www.ox.ac.uk/about/facts-and-...-success-rates

"Colleges work co-operatively to try and ensure all applicants for a particular subject, across all colleges, can be compared against one another, in order that the very best people get Oxford places. As a result, around 27% of successful candidates for 2013 entry are at a college other than the college they named as their preference."

... so 73% of successful candidates are at their college of choice. About 10% of these are open applications but that still leaves most offer holders who chose a college being at their college of choice (63% vs 27%).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pars12)
    I don't think that's quite correct.

... so 73% of successful candidates are at their college of choice. About 10% of these are open applications but that still leaves most offer holders who chose a college being at their college of choice (63% vs 27%).

Ohhh, I must have read wrong My mistake, thanks though !!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.