Netherlands win in Extra Time
    8.96%
    Argentina win in Penalties
    25.37%
    Netherlands win in Penalties
    13.43%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smash50)
    Messi is an absolute legend. I would absolutely love it if he leads his team to World Cup glory. He and his team deserve this!
    The Messi bandwagon is not a bad bandwagon to be on at all and I am a total Messi fanboy. Not embarassed to admit that either because he is an amazing player. But, I really thought he was poor tonight by his exceptionally high standards. If I remember correctly though, he still created some clear cut chances out of nothing which shows you just how good he is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Gutted really. This Dutch team is QF at best but you just had a feeling that if they got past Arg that they'd be able to find a way vs Germany...guess Holland will never win the WC, the great perennial nearly men. Only now we lose playing negative football, killing the very romance of totaalvoetbal...

RVP has never done a thing for Holland in a major tournament either, Klaas-Jan Huntelaar should have started ffs

And how is Cillessen ahead of Krul?

And why is Vlaar taking the first pen?
    He looks like an old player relying on the occassional wondergoal these days. Guys even grey ffs and wanders around like a pensioner.

ReputationRep:
    Wanted the Netherlands to win, but didn't expect them to, given how unimpressive their attack was against Costa Rica.

Still rooting for Germany and Netherlands in their respective remaining games (and expecting both to win, along with everyone else I think).

There is the $0.02 of someone who watches football approximately every four years, if it's of interest to anyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asr11)
    Apparently in the press conference LVG suggested 2 players declined to take the first penalty, so he turned to Vlaar.
    What a disgrace.

Huntelaar will have been 5th, he's got bottle

Probably the Feijenoord pricks, Clasie and Janmaat

Imagine letting the 6'3 lumbering CB face the music though while you just stand and watch. No problem with Vlaar though, he was MOTM for me and I respect his bottle big time

ReputationRep:
    Argentina won't play suicidal attacking tactics like Brazil so its highly unlikely we will be seeing Germany scoring goals for fun again. If anything Argentina can seriously hurt Germany on the counter attack as Germany play a high defensive line. Aguero should be match fit, Di Maria maybe back so Argentina have just as much of a chance as Germany at clinching the WC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C.Almasy)
    He looks like an old player relying on the occassional wondergoal these days. Guys even grey ffs and wanders around like a pensioner.
    The movement isnt there any more. ive seen him live maybe 50 times and he's just not moving on the shoulder of the defenders any-more

Still got the tekkers as you say but his game was always about the movement

ReputationRep:
    Bit harsh to blame anyone for penalties, especially if they had a good game

ReputationRep:
    The movement isnt there any more. ive seen him live maybe 50 times and he's just not moving on the shoulder of the defenders any-more

Still got the tekkers as you say but his game was always about the movement
    He tries, but he's often out of position these days or offside and thus killing the momentum of his team's attack. This was his excuse at United, which under Moyes was pretty much justified, but still he puts it across like a total ****:

"Our fellow players are sometimes occupying the spaces I want to play in. And when I see that it makes it difficult for me to come to those spaces as well. So that forces me to adjust my runs, based on the position of my fellow players. And unfortunately, they're often playing in my zones. I think that's a shame."

But for LVG, and a Holland side built to accommodate him there was pretty much no excuse.

ReputationRep:
    As Zurich said Vlaar can hold his head high. He was immense today and had the bottle to take the first kick. If the reports are true about two players declining then its even more impressive

ReputationRep:
    Called it. Said 1-1 penalties Argentina win but 0-0 meh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missfats)
    GERMANY

WILL

BE

DESTROYED

OMFG.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Nope, Germany will beat Argentina.

ReputationRep:
    HOLLAND WILL WIN
    in 2018 ?

ReputationRep:
    It's a bit rum to leave Jordy Claisie out for six matches, then bring him on as a sub and expect him to take the first penalty. Let the so called first team take responsibility for their own failure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isometrix)
    screenshot or gtfo
    Lol don't hold your breath...
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    GERMANY

WILL

BE

DESTROYED

OMFG.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    lol no, sit down.

Germany will hopefully win it. But if Argentina do carry the World Cup, Germany certainly won't be "destroyed" in the process.

ReputationRep:
    RVP has never done a thing for Holland in a major tournament either, Klaas-Jan Huntelaar should have started ffs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    Group game against a terrible terrible Spanish team.

2010 WC and this WC and every Euros he has done sweet **** all. In fact his performances in the knockout games have been 4/10 most of the time

ReputationRep:
    Group game against a terrible terrible Spanish team.

2010 WC and this WC and every Euros he has done sweet **** all. In fact his performances in the knockout games have been 4/10 most of the time
    Whether the teams terrible or not, that was good movement and a great finish.

He scored half your goals in Euro 2012 and 2 in 2008. He's top scorer in major comps in your squad (joint).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    Whether the teams terrible or not, that was good movement and a great finish.

He scored half your goals in Euro 2012 and 2 in 2008. He's top scorer in major comps in your squad (joint).
    Of course it was a great goal, no doubt. Just pointing to his overall performance for the Netherlands.

2012 wouldnt be hard would it? :laugh:

2008 he was decent

But the WC2010 and WC2014 he has been genuinely terrible in nearly every game. WC2006 he was still young and actually OK but when he's been needed it hasnt happened at all

ReputationRep:
    Why didn't Krul take the penalties this time?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 14, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.