Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    They are popular but the people that get in aren't super human. It's a long application process (with a lot of waiting for results) so you just need to take each stage at a time. The initial hurdle is the online tests which are a bit of a pain and filter a lot out, so it pays to put quite a bit of practice in to these and do all the free online tests and so on.

Good luck with it

Thanks, I've been looking at the practice tests today so I make sure I'll have many a try before doing the actual thing. Just worried about work experience and the like.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys. Long time lurker, first time poster!

Applying for GFS for the first time. I've wanted this for ages but have been travelling a lot since graduating, so this is the first point at which I'm actually concentrating on my career.

Found out I passed the online tests about a week ago, so into the e-tray it is!

Good luck everyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TritonSails)
    Just bit the bullet and took the final tests--nightmare. Despite getting top percentiles in my practice tests for some reason I found these much harder and didn't even finish the maths one. There's always next year I guess...
    Don't worry, I didn't finish either the numerical or the verbal and I got immediately successful! I honestly thought I'd messed up, so hopefully you've done better than you thought

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tillytots)
    Thanks, I've been looking at the practice tests today so I make sure I'll have many a try before doing the actual thing. Just worried about work experience and the like.
    They aren't really bothered about what work experience you have done, it's not like they are looking for you to have done the 'right' things or something relevant to the civil service before. It's not like say applying to law or accountancy where they may want to see that you've done some relevant internships.

At the assessment centres the assessors don't even have your form anyway so they don't know what your background is.

Once you're past the online tests the assessments are e-tray and the fast stream assessment centre, which give you the chance to show the personal characteristics they are looking for, so work experience, or extra-curriculars and so on, are only relevant to the extent that you might have been able to pick up some competencies.

If you have a look at the competency framework: http://www.civilservice.gov.uk/wp-co...-July-2012.pdf this is basically what they are looking for, fast stream is equivalent to level 3 (HEO/SEO grades) so if you look at the types of things listed there as 'effective behaviours' you can start to think about how you have done things like that (some won't apply as a student is unlikely to have had a chance to do the things yet) but those kinds of things are worth bearing in mind for the assessment exercises as well, about being decisive, showing leadership, bringing in the views of others, focusing on value for money in a decision and so on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    They aren't really bothered about what work experience you have done, it's not like they are looking for you to have done the 'right' things or something relevant to the civil service before. It's not like say applying to law or accountancy where they may want to see that you've done some relevant internships.

At the assessment centres the assessors don't even have your form anyway so they don't know what your background is.

Once you're past the online tests the assessments are e-tray and the fast stream assessment centre, which give you the chance to show the personal characteristics they are looking for, so work experience, or extra-curriculars and so on, are only relevant to the extent that you might have been able to pick up some competencies.

If you have a look at the competency framework: http://www.civilservice.gov.uk/wp-co...-July-2012.pdf this is basically what they are looking for, fast stream is equivalent to level 3 (HEO/SEO grades) so if you look at the types of things listed there as 'effective behaviours' you can start to think about how you have done things like that (some won't apply as a student is unlikely to have had a chance to do the things yet) but those kinds of things are worth bearing in mind for the assessment exercises as well, about being decisive, showing leadership, bringing in the views of others, focusing on value for money in a decision and so on.
    Thanks for this! Repped.

ReputationRep:
    Also, before FSAC you should have access to a guide document in your online account that spells out the whole process and exactly what competencies they are judging (because this can change from year-to-year). One of my colleagues is looking to apply this year, and the documents online now are just placeholders, but I believe the one from last year was about 27 pages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hw25)
    Hi,
    I've been invited to the statistics assessment centre, I just wondered if anyone else was going or has been before and has any advice on what to expect?
    congrats, me too!

ReputationRep:
    The European stream's description page says that if you don't have language qualifications, then they'll test you at some point. But when adding European stream to the application, it requires you to tick that you have a language qualification.

How are you meant to get around this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomato_Soup1992)
    The European stream's description page says that if you don't have language qualifications, then they'll test you at some point. But when adding European stream to the application, it requires you to tick that you have a language qualification.

How are you meant to get around this?
    Hi

Unless someone here posts that they've had the same experience, your best bet is to email Parity (the recruitment team) and ask, and they should be able to point you in the right direction!

There is a link saying 'contact us' in the candidate portal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat.lev)
    Hi

Unless someone here posts that they've had the same experience, your best bet is to email Parity (the recruitment team) and ask, and they should be able to point you in the right direction!

There is a link saying 'contact us' in the candidate portal.

I am waiting for e-tray results! I can see candidates who are successful at e-tray for schemes other than GFS, D&T and EU are already invited to a one day assessment centre. My applications home page says that results would be available once “immediately successful/unsuccessful criteria” are set. I believe you have to submit e-tray exercise by 20th midnight of October 2014. Did you? They will be able to set proximate scores after striking number of contenders submitted their e-trays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shahbaz Ahmad)
    I am waiting for e-tray results! I can see candidates who are successful at e-tray for schemes other than GFS, D&T and EU are already invited to a one day assessment centre. My applications home page says that results would be available once “immediately successful/unsuccessful criteria” are set. I believe you have to submit e-tray exercise by 20th midnight of October 2014. Did you? They will be able to set proximate scores after striking number of contenders submitted their e-trays.
    When you have to submit your e-tray will depend on when you started your application, and how quickly you got through the other parts of it (e.g. practice test, numerical and verbal, etc.).

ReputationRep:
    I'm finding it tricky thinking of how to prepare for the etray. I mean is there anything you can really do? Anyone who's passed it have any advice beyond doing the practice one?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone applying for commercial/finance?! Come out of the woodwork and introduce yourself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starry_night56)
    I'm finding it tricky thinking of how to prepare for the etray. I mean is there anything you can really do? Anyone who's passed it have any advice beyond doing the practice one?
    They are meant to simulate the type of work and situations Fast Streamers face! Just imagine that the E-Tray is not an assessment but an actual work - treat it like that rather than worrying about it being assessed.

I prepared for it by simply practising verbal and numerical reasoning tests just to get used to working at a fast pace. You just take the rest as they come. I can promise you that the activities at E-Tray and assessment centre resembles real life situations. Just be yourself - decide what you would do, what you would prioritise first, what seem logical to you, feel free to change your mind when the circumstance change, challenge accepted wisdom even if it makes you unpopular, and whatever you do, don't try to second-guess what the assessor would like to hear.

I've had to do that from my first week on the Fast Stream...prioritising and responding to e-mails; putting forward balanced arguments; examining situations, coming up with options, and recommending preferred option based on evidence, merits, risks, and other relevant factors like the big picture, objectives, taking the remit into account, and pushing boundaries by suggesting 'what ifs' and 'how'.

Take the assessment serious, treat them like real-life situations because they will mirror the kind of things you will be doing in real life, and they are looking for diverse and original people who add value, and bring something to the table!

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

Seems like a somewhat trivial question, but those of you who have completed the numerical and verbal tests, did you have to complete them one after the other or could you take an hour (or a day) in between?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by inji_girl)
    Hi everyone!

Seems like a somewhat trivial question, but those of you who have completed the numerical and verbal tests, did you have to complete them one after the other or could you take an hour (or a day) in between?
    You have to complete those within seven days! In those seven days you can have long breaks between the tests....

ReputationRep:
    You have to complete those within seven days! In those seven days you can have long breaks between the tests....
    Thanks for getting back to me...wasn't sure I could handle verbal and then the dreaded maths all in one go!

ReputationRep:
    Just a heads up- last year I received my e tray results the week before Christmas. I sat the E tray before 31st October. I was amber banded for a very long time. We all could be in for a bit of a wait.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StrawberryFields18)
    Just a heads up- last year I received my e tray results the week before Christmas. I sat the E tray before 31st October. I was amber banded for a very long time. We all could be in for a bit of a wait.
    Thanks for your message!

I am a bit anxious regarding the outcomes. Did you go to Fast Stream Assessment Centre, last year?

Eligibility criteria limited me to apply for GFS and D&T schemes, only. I got an electronic message from Parity on 30th of October 2014 that I can proceed with D&T application form. GFS application page was still saying “Awaiting Results”. I did e-tray on 12th of October 2014. On 14th of October 2014, I got a message again from Parity that I am successful for online selection tests and can proceed with my application. I chose “Houses of Parliament” as my first choice and then “Central Departments” as second choice. I can’t see anybody posting their success in GFS online selection tests since the last two days.

I completed the application form for GFS on the same day. The e-tray which was done for D&T covers all the schemes, and both application pages are at the stage of “Awaiting Results” for e-tray section.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slowbro93)
    Got through to the ORAC
    Congrats! I originally received messages saying I was successful for stats but unsuccessful for OR, but I've just received another message apologising for the mistake and that I haven't been unsuccessful for OR and I am now back to 'awaiting results'. Strange really but I'm not complaining
    When is the OR open day? Just so I know how long I could be waiting until I find out for definite if I've made it to he AC or not.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.