Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much student loan are you getting? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Not looking forward to spending so much money on freshers events and fancy dress, takeaways after nights out, maybe drinks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    could you not get a loan from a bank?
    those loans have higher interest rates than the student loans, so instead my parents are helping out from their savings...thank goodness its only 1 year
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yux)
    those loans have higher interest rates than the student loans, so instead my parents are helping out from their savings...thank goodness its only 1 year
    Surely they can't be much higher than from SF? Especially given how much the interest on the SF loans is likely to be in the future. How bad?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    Surely they can't be much higher than from SF? Especially given how much the interest on the SF loans is likely to be in the future. How bad?
    well, for me i dont think its worth the risk as i probably need to borrow about 15000 just for this one year , 10000 on tuition, 5000 for housing and maybe even more for london underground transport plus food fees, bills, etc.......

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by undertoe)
    Maintenance Loan: £5084
    Maintenance Grant: £937
    Bursaries: £0
    Scholarships: £0
    Savings: £0
    Money from Parents: paying for accommodation

Accommodation Cost: £
    Weekly spend after Accommodation: £200
    That loan :O

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Maintenance Loan: £5,555
    Maintenance Grant: £3,354 (As SSG, so doesn't affect max loan)
    Bursaries: £1000
    Scholarships: £0-1000, unsure
    Money from Parents: Available as required, but nothing regular.

Accommodation Cost: £0
    Weekly spend after Accommodation:~£220

From the perspective of a mature student at least, not great, but shouldn't be bad Reading this thread makes me a bit angry at the system though, too many people being left without support as their parents earn too much. Said parents should also feel incredibly guilty for not investing more money into their kids, if they earn enough to force their kids out of the grants brackets then they must have made some incredibly poor decisions to not be *able* to help...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NonniT)
    Maintenance Loan: £5,555
    Maintenance Grant: £3,354 (As SSG, so doesn't affect max loan)
    Bursaries: £1000
    Scholarships: £0-1000, unsure
    Money from Parents: Available as required, but nothing regular.

Accommodation Cost: £0
    Weekly spend after Accommodation:~£220

From the perspective of a mature student at least, not great, but shouldn't be bad Reading this thread makes me a bit angry at the system though, too many people being left without support as their parents earn too much. Said parents should also feel incredibly guilty for not investing more money into their kids, if they earn enough to force their kids out of the grants brackets then they must have made some incredibly poor decisions to not be *able* to help...
    Or perhaps they have other, possibly more important, financial responsibilities. Moral question here for you: Suppose you were one of those parents, your child could just about make it through university independently or with a very small amount of help, but still no where near as good as the majority (not being able to go out, incredibly cheap food etc), and one of your parents[-in-law] requires constant expensive private medical cover for whatever reason, or needs to stay in a home. You can only afford one, which one takes priority? And you can't reasonably make big enough cuts elsewhere to do both.

ReputationRep:
    My loan hasn't even been fking approved yet!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Maintenance Student Loan: £4750
    Maintenance Grant: N/A
    Bursaries: £ 0
    Scholarships: £ 0
    Savings: £700 (going to just keep it though)
    Money from Parents: £0

Accommodation Cost: £ 0
    Weekly spend after Accommodation: £118.50

To be honest, I didn't mind taking out the loan, since I don't have to pay tuition fees (I am Scottish) and I'm living at home, but I doubt I'll be spending that much. Just there if I need it. (And if I don't, then I can give it right back when I'm earning.) Travel and some supplies will be my main expense, but I have a part time job to cover most of that.

ReputationRep:
    Maintenance Loan: £0
    Maintenance Grant: £0
    Scholarships: £13,863

Accommodation Cost: £285 per month
    Weekly spend after Accommodation: probably about £190 after my phone bills and utility bills etc.

I'm doing a postgrad and won't be taking loans or paying tuition fees, just living off scholarship money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WorldPharmacist)
    That loan :O

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I found it to be a bit ridiculous as well seeing as I'm not studying in London.... but I think its down to my mother being self-employed and recently having a baby (3rd child)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LSD)
    Maintenance Loan: £0
    Maintenance Grant: £0
    Scholarships: £13,863

Accommodation Cost: £285 per month
    Weekly spend after Accommodation: probably about £190 after my phone bills and utility bills etc.

I'm doing a postgrad and won't be taking loans or paying tuition fees, just living off scholarship money.
    Where'd you get a scholarship like that?

ReputationRep:
    How do you find out how much you're getting? My financ3 application still says "submitted" it then says you have provided all evidence needed, so has your mother. Now we will contact you via a letter when your application is successful. Guessing I have to wait for the letter right?
    😀 Thanks

Nicholas

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Maintenance loan: £2725
    Maintenance Grant: £3387
    Bursary:£0
    Scholarship: £0
    Parents money: £0
    Accommodation: £0 Mum won't accept money but I'm moving out next year.

Money left after: depends on how much I want to save, but its all the money up there. Turns out they like to take a chunk of your loan away once they pay you more grant.

ReputationRep:
    Maintenance loan: £3862
    Maintenance grant: £3387
    Bursary: £0
    Scholarship: £0
    Savings: £100? (Spent it woops)
    Parents money: £500 a month.
    Accommodation: £5768.49

Money left over: £140 a week...ish?

ReputationRep:
    Ok my loan just increased from £3099 to £3759. Is this for real. Yay more money. Still gutted I'm not receiving any grant though, although I was eligible for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walkers38)
    Ok my loan just increased from £3099 to £3759. Is this for real. Yay more money. Still gutted I'm not receiving any grant though, although I was eligible for it.
    How comes it increased?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by David B)
    Where'd you get a scholarship like that?
    Research councils x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Maintenance Loan and Grant: £7249
    Scholarships: £3000
    Money from Parents: will help if moneys needed

Accommodation Cost: £4692
    Weekly spend after Accommodation: £112 will probably only spend about 70 a week

also planning on getting a job at uni

ReputationRep:
    lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.