Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What were your "wow we're poor" or "wow we are well off" moments when you were a kid? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I could tell some tales of poverty but i would rather be anonymous..

ReputationRep:

This is what you never knew, and not many people do.
    Would you even consider yourself rich if you have 2millions?
    Because i wouldn't.
    Mind blowing xD.

ReputationRep:
    I kind of always knew we didn't have much money, mum chose to home educate me instead of sending me to school, so she gave up her chance of getting a decent job and was unemployed until I was 13 when she set up her own business... I never went cold or hungry, but I never had electronic games or new toys, didn't really have friends round because their houses were nicer, we never had a car etc...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Eh there will always be judgemental people but everyone on this thread has been very nice so far
    Does anyone else find it a bit dodgy that this thread is here?
    Like some rich ppl/companies who can't understand what "poor" ppl behave like, or the average person thinks of wealth want to investigate it to use this clearly sensitive subject to advertise (preying on ppls insecurities).

Or maybe I'm paranoid and it's just a nice space to vent childhood memories?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zenarthra)

This is what you never knew, and not many people do.
    Would you even consider yourself rich if you have 2millions?
    Because i wouldn't.
    Mind blowing xD.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vpjsi1KDW84

And it's only getting easier for the wealth gap to grow in the event of this new trade agreement (TTIP) meaning that corporations can over ride National Law and increase joblessness and environmental damage.

"If you're in the 1% you should be supporting TTIP, but if you're in the 99% you definitely shouldn't"

ReputationRep:
    looking at my annual student loan statement! i'm like 10k in debt overall taking into account my savings and loans! :eek: damn i'm poor!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you weren't starving in Sub-Saharan Africa I would argue you probably weren't poor. Think how insulted someone in that position would feel about someone with a family home and food referring to themselves as poor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loving Learning)
    If you weren't starving in Sub-Saharan Africa I would argue you probably weren't poor. Think how insulted someone in that position would feel about someone with a family home and food referring to themselves as poor.
    It's called relative poverty. Being poorer in relation to someone else. So yes while some people aren't necessarily on the African level of poor, they still see themselves poor depending on what they measure themselves against, which frankly in the first world would be different to someone in Africa who probably sees wealth as having what we would call basic human needs.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Arguably most of you are in the top 20% of world wealth.

So this whole thread is first world pains.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't realise until I went to secondary school and then found out that it wasn't normal to have no heating in the winter or for your mum not to eat so you could.

It didn't really bother me when I was a kid not having fancy toys and things, until a birthday party when I was about 10. My friend gave me a present and I started to cry because I felt guilty that I had a present and that they spent money on it when my mum had none. I always told her it was because I was embarrassed though, didn't want to upset her.

But that's why I'm at uni, so I can get a good job and support my family

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bill_Gates)
    Arguably most of you are in the top 20% of world wealth.

So this whole thread is first world pains.
    My gran is always like "You have no idea how lucky you have it in England". Didn't feel that way sometimes when I was freezing my ass off in my room or figuring out what imaginary Christmas presents I was going to tell my friends at school :P

But she is right I suppose. At least there weren't bombs going off above my head or rebels kicking the door down.

ReputationRep:
    Living on the streets, begging for food, living in temporary facilities with 30 other people, dad taken birthday money I got from others from me, not eating for days and such far back as I remember, so was always aware we had no money.

ReputationRep:
    I come from a well off family and have never been in poverty which is described on this thread, but we did fall on hard times from the economic crash when my dad was made redundant, we live in a house which was really outside my parents income anyway, so for a few years where I was aware that there was very small amount of income. I think the worst was the Christmas when our heating and the printer (which my dad needed for work) broke down, so it was absolutely freezing and my dad tried to make the printer the children's joint Christmas present so it didn't look like we were getting nothing. Remember my mate was showing off about the £100s worth presents she had, I told her I got nothing, don't think she realised I wasn't joking. Also I remember getting agitated because my brother and sister (who were thick and insensitive) kept complaining once at dinner that we didn't go anywhere on holiday, so I must have gathered that. My dad got upset by that and my mum shouted at all of us.

But really we were still living in a reallllllllyyy expensive area, and we never lost the house or anything, so it was never that bad. I think it was more being aware of the stress my parents were under rather than being aware that we had nothing and were struggling to eat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loving Learning)
    Does anyone else find it a bit dodgy that this thread is here?
    Like some rich ppl/companies who can't understand what "poor" ppl behave like, or the average person thinks of wealth want to investigate it to use this clearly sensitive subject to advertise (preying on ppls insecurities).

Or maybe I'm paranoid and it's just a nice space to vent childhood memories?
    Yeah you're definitely paranoid. I'm a 19 girl who was just wondering how other people had grown up and if many people had it like me. I'm certainly not looking for ways to advertise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maths learner)
    My good deed for the day, after reading this thread made me realise how lucky I am. Me and some buddies went to a resturant earlier and all tipped 40% of the bill. Waitress looked like she was going to pass out...
    Haha, superb. Did each one of you tip 40%?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EatAndRevise)
    Haha, superb. Did each one of you tip 40%?
    Yeah

ReputationRep:
    I felt like I was the only kid in school who didn't get christmas/birthday gifts etc Interesting to read this thread and find out I was not the only one

Did anyone here have a paper/leafleting job at 13/14? That used to kill. 6:00am every morning with only one day off a year (Christmas). It took me eight months to save up for a bike to make the job easier. That bike was the first luxury item I had and I used to wipe it everyday and fuss over it In fact I still have it 8 years later!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Who?Knows)
    I felt like I was the only kid in school who didn't get christmas/birthday gifts etc Interesting to read this thread and find out I was not the only one

Did anyone here have a paper/leafleting job at 13/14? That used to kill. 6:00am every morning with only one day off a year (Christmas). It took me eight months to save up for a bike to make the job easier. That bike was the first luxury item I had and I used to wipe it everyday and fuss over it In fact I still have it 8 years later!
    See while it'd be lovely to have someone give us everything I think it spoils things! You obviously really appreciated that bike and I think that's something spoilt kids really miss out on.
    My parents have plenty money, we live in one of the most expensive places in England, and go on lots of nice holidays etc. They always had the money to give me anything I wanted (with in reason) but didnt think that was right. Instead I got a job at 14 as a waitress and worked for the things I wanted. Sometimes if it was a big thing they'd pay half once I'd worked for half of it.
    I think having to pay yourself makes you think carefully about what you really want.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My family are fairly well-off and it never crossed my mind to get summer jobs when I was a teenager- my parents encouraged me to study during the summer. I'd never had a job age 18 and it was a bit of a shock being in a group once at uni where we were talking about in which town was our first job, worst job we'd had out of ALL our jobs etc..

ReputationRep:
    When we had one of those buy as you view televisions that you had to put pound coins in for it to work

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 20, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.