Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fat_hobbit)
    I told him to get a tutor mate.

Selective memory.

But as you've raised the topic.

You know there are many poor families out there that cant afford one. The education/corporate system is rigged towards the rich. People like you paying your way to top marks by having access to the best facilities. The only way a poor person can break out of the cycle, is if they are actually gifted intellectually, which you are not.

I predict the rich will get richer, poor will get poorer.

Has nothing to do with intelligence.
    People are actually working, today i took a client for lunch because he couldnt make monday (daughters birthday). So 6 days in a row - work, most parents wont kill themselves to make £££. You get lazy parents, even when i worked in a warehouse i didnt mind doing 60-70 hour weeks. I enjoyed seeing the money and doing something not lazing around watching eastenders.

ReputationRep:
    Well you are private school educated, and I am sure you had tutors back then as well.
    I did it last year from the comfort of my office in waterside, heathrow, youtube and a private tutor on weekends. But one to two hours a week isnt sufficient alot of self learning involved.

ReputationRep:
    Stop moaning and do the free experience or try for an apprenticeship. Don't expect your dream job right away.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    and I thought I ​derailed the thread!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MUN123)
    I graduated last month with a 2:2 in Computer science and since then I have been applying for graduate jobs non-stop with a lot of rejections. I then had to sign on JSA, now the Job center are advising me to work for free for 2 weeks in a call center to get "experience" which I've refused because I dislike to be exploited by the company and work for free in a field that does not interest me.

I explained to the Job centers that I'm interested in IT jobs to which they replied that they would not be paying me benefits so that I could sit and wait for a very specific job. And after applying to loads of minimum wage jobs and getting loads of rejections they want me to work for free in some crappy job to get experience.

The other day they sent me to a compulsory course which explained about how to use the internet to apply for jobs I thought it was laughable they must be stuck in the 90's. They have no clue on how to deal with graduates
    A 2:2 really isn't that great and you aren't better than someone who doesn't have a degree because of it same as someone with a first, you need experience or companies won't hire you most people will have to work a minimum wage job at some point in their lives and if you would be getting JSA for the 2 weeks free work it isn't really free is it.

Think you need to be a bit more humble and realise that there are more important things to employers than a degree.

ReputationRep:
    A 2.2 Isn't the end of the world, Alot of people get diffferent grades for diffferent reasons, some try minimal and end up with a minimal grade others try hard get same doesn't nessacarily mean one is mentally not capable of jobs or tasks compared to people with better grades. Keep trying applying for jobs even if they are miles away and there is no chance of you moving to that place apply anyway it will improve your application techniques. Use your universities career services. there is alot of career material availible online: USE IT!!!!

Also in terms of technical stuff upgrade your skills, research into technologies etc, do a course if you can, find voluntary placements.

P.S. I'm a 2.2 graduate in Computer Science managed to find a minimum wage job in IT after some unpaid experiences in offices etc. Now want to move into something professional.

Best of Luck!!!!

Some of the sites I use

Graduate advantage
    STEM Graduates

Just found a new one Agency Central. Look into them!!!

ReputationRep:
    I feel for you I know many grads who are also having the same problem you should try temping agencies. Problem is though without at least a minimum wage full time job you will struggle to live especially in London I hope it goes good for you are in my prayers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sherlockfan)
    good for you. i'm 22 and ive never had a paid job either, though ive done lots of voluntary work.
    not everyone can be as lucky as you.
    never even had a minimum wage job picking fruit on a farm?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Costalo)
    I've never really had a job either and I'm 24. I had a job at 17 but it was for the summer.

If I left my degree off my CV there would be a 3 year gap. Employers will assume I've either sat on my arse collecting the dole, or been in prison. That just makes me look worse.
    The mind boggles how you can not have had a job before 24! Anyhow you can't get a minimum wage job with your degree on there, so it can't be any worse. Recruiters at these places aren't stupid, they don't want to pay to train someone who will leave at the first chance. Do you have any volunteering work or achievements of note? Sometimes employers can see examples of the qualities they seek from other things, usually though they want to make sure you have demonstrated you can hold a job and be punctual, professional etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LavenderBlueSky88)
    Psychology
    That explains it then. The mystery of you not getting a job has been solved.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cole-slaw)
    No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SloaneRanger)
    What do u wanna do?
    Ive applied for all sorts of jobs, I really dont care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ana81)
    That explains it then. The mystery of you not getting a job has been solved.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah because I'm sure sainsburys has a policy of only recruiting maths graduates to stack their shelves...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sherlockfan)
    Ive applied for all sorts of jobs, I really dont care.
    Use linkedin and get yourself on there, its just as important as facebook for professionals. Its a more effective way of applying for jobs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cole-slaw)
    Doesn't everyone have that 2 weeks work experience that you do in year 10?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dilzo999)
    Doesn't everyone have that 2 weeks work experience that you do in year 10?
    That's nearly 10 years ago. Best part of a decade in your adult life without any work experience?

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you create you own job? What's stopping you from working as a freelance programmer?

ReputationRep:
    Which you will find is right across industries and not specific to IT.

Software Development OTOH is very specific to IT
    I've worked in food manufacturing, retail and R&D.

I've not seen architecture, service management or change control as disciples elsewhere.

Strategy sure, testing in some industries and business analysis for sure. Naturally software development is pretty much exclusive to IT, but I don't think its the only thing which most commonly associated with IT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    I've worked in food manufacturing, retail and R&D.

I've not seen architecture, service management or change control as disciples elsewhere.

Strategy sure, testing in some industries and business analysis for sure. Naturally software development is pretty much exclusive to IT, but I don't think its the only thing which most commonly associated with IT.
    You get some people who get into the field that try to avoid programming by avoiding doing a CS degree.

The foundations of IT is coding. I think that was the point I was trying to make back then.

So those trying to avoid doing a CS degree by doing an IT one instead are going to end up making life harder for themselves.

For example: You get a lot of project managers who have no technical experience working in industry. They get a prince 2 qualification, IT degree, or management etc thinking it's enough, and often get taken for a ride by techies.

A common scenario for example is a techie going up to a non technical PM and telling them:

"It will take 3 days to do x SQL statement, when it will actually takes 1 day"

Then there is the issue of the quality of code being written. You can write code in a procedural way and it WILL work, but in terms of maintainability, and writing the code in such a way where it is easily modifiable (this is why software patterns exist - MVC etc), a non techie will have no clue as they are poor coders/can't code.

ReputationRep:
    You get some people who get into the field that try to avoid programming by avoiding doing a CS degree.

The foundations of IT is coding. I think that was the point I was trying to make back then.

So those trying to avoid doing a CS degree by doing an IT one instead are going to end up making life harder for themselves.

For example: You get a lot of project managers who have no technical experience working in industry. They get a prince 2 qualification, IT degree, or management etc thinking it's enough, and often get taken for a ride by techies.

A common scenario for example is a techie going up to a non technical PM and telling them:

"It will take 3 days to do x SQL statement, when it will actually takes 1 day"

Then there is the issue of the quality of code being written. You can write code in a procedural way and it WILL work, but in terms of maintainability, and writing the code in such a way where it is easily modifiable (this is why software patterns exist - MVC etc), a non techie will have no clue as they are poor coders/can't code.
    I agree to an extent, its totally the foundation but not the be all and end all.

Notice I didn't mention PMs because they are very generic.

I've seen the situation you've described and I've also seen techies claim they can do things in x days and the non-techie PM from previous projects or past performance saying it'll take 3x days and getting proved right.

I'd question what a CS degree gives you in terms of the hardware side of things. That seems very picked up on the job.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.