Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Deadly gun attack in Paris: Global reactions & discussion watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tibis ii)
    what makes you say that the rifles are ak47? are you just basing that on the video of the police officer being shot? if so then you have a remarkably good eye for weaponry.

as far as i can see either of those rifles could be possibly hundreds of different guns.
    most likely akm but also a good chance one or both are chinese variants of kalashnikov.

they're also not necessarily rifles firing 7.62x39mm. the rifles could be 5.45x39mm or even 5.56x45mm, 7.62x51mm or 6.5x39mm.

entry wounds do not produce much blood, usually a very fine spray which is invisible to the eye unless you're very close to it.
    neither will a 7.62x39mm necessarily exit a skull and if it does then it is likely that blood will not start flowing out of the exit wound in significant amounts until afew seconds afterwards.

the force from a small arm's bullet doesn't cause any noticeable movement to a person.
    a person may move backwards or even go flying backwards and spin or tumble or roll over after being shot but that is the person reacting to the bullet much like with an electric shock.

shooting a person's skull from the opposite side of where it is against the floor who is already in shock or unconscious on the floor isn't going to move it a noticeable amount.
    Thank you Tibis for a civilised and informative reply. Some people here just hurl insults and swear at the slightest disagreement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by She-Ra)
    Ultimately, we don't know who is responsible although given the background of the magazine and it's history, there do appear to be a number of longstanding feuds
    Are you seriously that stupid? Guys get out of car shooting people with machine guns and you don;t know who was responsible? The rest of the world knew and yet you didnt?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thuggee)
    antything but special forces, a bunch of donkeys given automatic weapons, even with these guns they took 3 attempts to kill a patrol officer. this is the same gay whos shoe came off getting into the car? these are retards with guns paid for by the saudis etc, which is basicially islamic terorrism unfortuantly not being tackled enough in the world yet

the video is not clear, there is every chance he missed even at pointblanc range and shot the pavement( or jsut shot him in the shoulder) why was he doing a running shot?
    Point taken, I will admit I'm only speculating, as are you however you make good points. The only reason I said special forces was cause the dude's skin through the balaclava looks white.

ReputationRep:
    This thread isn't about viewing the images created that may or may not be the reason behind the attack - it's about discussing the story as it unfolds
    Oh yeah because the cartoons have nothing to do with it :rolleyes:

no one has owned up to the attack as of yet so although it is fair to speculate objectively I don't agree that we need to post numerous cartoons and start aggressively pointing the finger at groups of people or a faith. Yes this there is history to suggest that this could be a attack carried out by radicalists action but these are members of society that use religion to justify such action and it certainly isn't fair to generalise.
    Grow a pair of balls- its people like you who are to blame for our countries being in such a dangerous position!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reluire)
    Adding onto She-Ra's post, this thread is not to be used for religious debate or bashing Islam. All such posts will be removed and subject to being carded.
    So a Ched-Evans-rapes-a-girl thread can bash Ched Evans, but an Islamic terrorism thread cannot bash Islam?

Can you please tell me why? I'd like to know why TSR is introducing censorship? Are the TSR moderators Muslims?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naima_786)
    In NO way am I saying that what the terrorists did is justified

But They did kind of bring this upon themselves. Everyone know how protective muslims are when it comes to prophet Muhammad SAW, and to make a satirical magazine about is obviously going to cause some sort of reaction. Especially as extremist terrorism is rising and is so dominant in the media

however, saying that the terrorists shouldn't have reacted in that way...
    And that is precisely why people will continue to draw the Prophet Muhammed. Because, in a civilised society, we cannot tolerate people impinging on our freedoms with violence, and doing so will only cause more people to use that freedom as an act of defiance. You don't beat a bully by tiptoeing around his violent behaviour, you stand up to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billydisco)
    So a Ched Evans rapes a girl thread can bash Ched Evans, but an Islamic terrorism thread cannot bash Islam?

Can you please tell me why? I'd like to know why TSR is introducing censorship? Are the TSR moderators Muslims?
    Going by your analogy, all white males are rapists and hence should be bashed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trupac)
    you mean the people of the same religious beliefs as ched evans? (whoever that is)

people aren't saying we should be allowed to discuss yellow males.

if it were a christian terrorist attack then people would expect to be able to discuss christianity.
    they're talking about religion, not race.

ReputationRep:

But They did kind of bring this upon themselves. Everyone know how protective muslims are when it comes to prophet Muhammad SAW, and to make a satirical magazine about is obviously going to cause some sort of reaction. Especially as extremist terrorism is rising and is so dominant in the media

But people draw Mohammed to troll. Muslims almost always seem to feed the trolls by reacting, thus making trolls want to do it more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trupac)
    No I did not imply that.

If its fine to bash Ched Evans for what he did, why can't we bash Islam for what Islam was responsible for?

ReputationRep:
    'runnin' niggaz down, back and forth
    I'm like pass the torch, blast it off,
    Niggaz makin bets on who gone blast it off,
    First to score,
    We gon hit em hard we gon hit em all,
    First to score,
    We gon hit em all we gon hit em hard'

- Bobby shmurda 'hit em hard'

It's obviously clear this attack has nothing to do with Islam , but the gunmen were listening to too much Bobby shmurda +1 if you agree
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    And that is precisely why people will continue to draw the Prophet Muhammed. Because, in a civilised society, we cannot tolerate people impinging on our freedoms with violence, and doing so will only cause more people to use that freedom as an act of defiance. You don't beat a bully by tiptoeing around his violent behaviour, you stand up to it.
    Ok well if you want to 'stand up to it' the you can but it will only cause more conflict and violence, and maybe even more terror attacks, and more deaths.

you know that in Islam, we don't have pictures or images of our Prophets so why can't anyone respect that? Why do people have the need to provoke Islam and Muslims?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groot)
    But people draw Mohammed to troll. Muslims almost always seem to feed the trolls by reacting, thus making trolls want to do it more.
    Yes but this is isnt the first time that magazine has done something to provoke muslims/ Islam, so I don't think its trolling.

Yes but it only ends with terrible circumstances, which was shown today

ReputationRep:
    Ok well if you want to 'stand up to it' the you can but it will only cause more conflict and violence, and maybe even more terror attacks, and more deaths.
    And what is the alternative? Keeping quiet about it and not exercising our right to criticise and mock whatever we want to? No thanks.

you know that in Islam, we don't have pictures or images of our Prophets so why can't anyone respect that? Why do people have the need to provoke Islam and Muslims?
    So? Why should non-muslims have to abide by Islamic rules? If you can't draw pictures of him fine, but that doesn't mean the rest of us can't. And you can't use that as an excuse, religious people have to grow up and learn to deal with criticism, it's part of becoming an adult and realising that there will always be people who have a different view to you. Throwing tantrums and shooting people is not going to stifle criticism, in fact, in this case all it's done is bring more attention to these drawings and the magazine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nathanielle)
    Yeah, you should allways lead your life like extremists want you to live it. Great post. Under Nazi occupation you would rather tell the Nazis where the Jews were, instead of risking your head by hiding them? Great attitude. (And yeas you can compare this attitude. These cartoonist just treated Muslims as any other religion in France, a laicistic country.)
    Not wanting your sacred religion mocked is not forcing an oppression . In fact it is quite the opposite akin to your Jew/Nazi analogy.

ReputationRep:

Out of all the things to go on a murderous rampage for. A drawing. It's pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billydisco)
    Can you please tell me why? I'd like to know why TSR is introducing censorship?
    Of all the moments TSR could have chosen this has to be by far the worst.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dexa)
    Not wanting your sacred religion mocked is not forcing an oppression you imbecile. In fact it is quite the opposite akin to your Jew/Nazi analogy.
    Perhaps if your religion stopped killing people in the name of the tooth fairy it would get mocked less?

ReputationRep:

So if a muslim woman is murdered for wearing a burka, would you say she was asking for it as there are neo nazis out there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reluire)
    Adding onto She-Ra's post, this thread is not to be used for religious debate or bashing Islam. All such posts will be removed and subject to being carded.
    Well, if religious teachings and sentiments are behind the attack (which seems to be the case), how exactly are the backgrounds of it to be debated without touching on religion?

And what constitutes bashing is highly subjective, isn't it? Is criticising a religion (whether that be Islam, Christianity, Judaism or any other) for violence perpetrated by its followers bashing? Does pointing out that on a global scale followers of one religion are much more often the perpetrators of violence and terror as compared to followers of other religions constitute bashing?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.