Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, im not sure if these were posted before, but in case they weren't here are some really useful Biol Unit 5 notes :

https://7def787516e26c878dc93b38d6ce...%20A-Level.pdf

hope they help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rashed_k)
    how long do you think the essay should be?
    Mine are about 600-700 words, which is about 2 A4 lined pages; which equates to about 4 pages in the exam paper. It does depend on how large your writing is though.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got the link to pre written essays for all the essays that have previously comee up as I don't think I'll have enough revision time to do the essays but I would like a but of a plan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hudl)
    Has anyone got the link to pre written essays for all the essays that have previously comee up as I don't think I'll have enough revision time to do the essays but I would like a but of a plan
    I have four essays which have been marked at A/A* grade if they are any use?
    The essays are:
    Causes of Disease in Humans
    Uses of DNA Technology
    Importance of Shapes Fitting Together
    CO2 may affect organisms directly and indirectly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prophetkid)
    I have four essays which have been marked at A/A* grade if they are any use?
    The essays are:
    Causes of Disease in Humans
    Uses of DNA Technology
    Importance of Shapes Fitting Together
    CO2 may affect organisms directly and indirectly
    Yes please upload them on here thanks or send them via pm

but surely someone would have done all the essays to an A* level and posted them online, surely

ReputationRep:
    If I post my essay in about half hour would anyone be willing to mark it? I'm not aiming for full marks so don't expect much, I'd just like an idea of how I'm doing ☺️

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hudl)
    Yes please upload them on here thanks or send them via pm

but surely someone would have done all the essays to an A* level and posted them online, surely
    Here you go
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docx Carbon dioxide may affect organisms directly or indirectly.docx (14.3 KB, 223 views)
  2. File Type: docx Uses of DNA Technology.docx (13.2 KB, 211 views)
  3. File Type: docx The Importance of Shapes Fitting Together in Cells & Organisms.docx (12.9 KB, 197 views)
  4. File Type: docx The Causes of Diseases in Humans.docx (14.3 KB, 173 views)

ReputationRep:
    I'd really appreciate it if someone could glance through my essay and let me know how I'm doing. As said before I'm not aiming for full marks so don't expect a spectacular essay. Ps sorry if you can't read it my writing gets very messy when I rush Attachment 425455
    Attachment 425457 Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1434024017.706572.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  146.0 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1434024040.420327.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  134.4 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1434024062.118727.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  112.0 KB
    Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepisheaven)
    3-5 sides I hear

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by prophetkid)
    Mine are about 600-700 words, which is about 2 A4 lined pages; which equates to about 4 pages in the exam paper. It does depend on how large your writing is though.
    Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Do essays have to include diagrams and info/examples that aren't on the spec?

ReputationRep:
    If the essay was on proteins and the role of proteins, what would everyone suggest should be included ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyricallies)
    If the essay was on proteins and the role of proteins, what would everyone suggest should be included ?
    Enzymes involved in the digestive system (Lactase, Maltase etc.)
    Protein structure
    Haemoglobin - involved in associating and dissociating oxygen, could add oxygen dissociation curves too (High affinity, Low affinity)
    Receptor proteins and relay proteins involved in cell division (proto-oncogenes and tumour suppressor genes)
    Polypeptide synthesis
    Could maybe talk about photosynthesis&nitrogen cycle they involve enzymes too.
    Muscle contraction - Tropomyosin & Troponin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lyricallies)
    1 - primary/secondary/tertiary structure of a protein
    2 - Structural roles
    3 - Movement involving muscles
    4 - Channel/ carrier proteins (transport)
    5 - Enzymes
    6 - Chemical Hormones/Mediators

Describe each one about with 100-125 words including two examples in each so for Structural you could use the examples of keratin and collagen. Talk about their structure then why it is important. Repeat and watch the marks pile up

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou that's really useful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ozy96)
    Enzymes involved in the digestive system (Lactase, Maltase etc.)
    Protein structure
    Haemoglobin - involved in associating and dissociating oxygen, could add oxygen dissociation curves too (High affinity, Low affinity)
    Receptor proteins and relay proteins involved in cell division (proto-oncogenes and tumour suppressor genes)
    Polypeptide synthesis
    Could maybe talk about photosynthesis&nitrogen cycle they involve enzymes too.
    Muscle contraction - Tropomyosin & Troponin
    Don't talk about polypeptide synthesis as you will probably lose marks because it's irrelevant to the title

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vengefulcandy)
    Don't talk about polypeptide synthesis as you will probably lose marks because it's irrelevant to the title
    Yeah you're right, my bad. we could also talk about how translation is prevented by siRNA how it guides the enzyme and whatnot.
    Also, what do you think of the likelihood this will come up? It hasn't been asked yet I don't think...It would be god sent if it does come up. Although AQA aren't that generous.

ReputationRep:
    Can there be an essay on transport systems or is that too vague?

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking there could be one on ATP

ReputationRep:
    Don't suppose anyone has 5mins to go through my essay above 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 27, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.