Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiytt)
    I thought the exam was easier than any past paper I've done (Context 1+MPC, that is). I just didn't have time to finish the 25-marker (finished about half).

1 hour 15 is a joke—you barely have time to think or comprehend the extracts. Exams should be testing your knowledge, not how fast you can write.
    Spot on. We should be given enough time to comfortably get through all the questions

(Original post by ozzie2)
    Lol dat q on missing market came up and I remembered the answer

Also what did people put for the question about price elasticity being -0.56 or something and a higher price. Was the answer there would be higher profits or something (can't remember the exact question)
    A - rise

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got the mcq's?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BBeyond)
    A - rise
    Yeah that's what I put think I might have got at least 20 on multiple choice. People were saying it was hard but I thought it wasn't too bad

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's what I put think I might have got at least 20 on multiple choice. People were saying it was hard but I thought it wasn't too bad
    Nah, I think it was fine content wise. Time wise though... they need to up it to 1 hour 30. Only did like 2 thirds of the 25 marker.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Epiphron)
    You do, they're weighed differently from 12 marks questions (like the labels) but still gives you AO3 marks. Actually, they're vital to "harvest" AO3 marks because describing the content of the diagram in relation to your application still gives you marks for analysis, so you can expand further your analysis on that instead of bringing up new points. They are a fundamental tool reach a top level answer in the very limited time frame you have for the essay.
    that's what I meant. I helps if you talk about the diagram in your explanation but the diagram itself doesn't get any marks on the 25 marks essay. My teacher marks exams and that's what he said.

(Original post by himynameiswill)
    Nah, I think it was fine content wise. Time wise though... they need to up it to 1 hour 30. Only did like 2 thirds of the 25 marker.
    clearly not as a lot of people get full marks in 1 hour 15 all extra time would do is inflate the grade boundaries.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I did context 2 and went In to detail on 2 of the market failures but had to rush on to against intervention and my conclusion

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiytt)
    I thought the exam was easier than any past paper I've done (Context 1+MPC, that is). I just didn't have time to finish the 25-marker (finished about half).

1 hour 15 is a joke—you barely have time to think or comprehend the extracts. Exams should be testing your knowledge, not how fast you can write.
    Definitely agree, compare it with Maths and Further Maths.
    Was able to complete the C1 paper three times in the mock before running out of time, absolutely ludicrous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BBeyond)
    clearly not as a lot of people get full marks in 1 hour 15 all extra time would do is inflate the grade boundaries.
    And I can say the exact same thing. Lots of people are struggling to do all of the questions in the time given, shown by everyone in every thread saying they needed more time.

ReputationRep:
    Lol guys i found out that you were meant to fill in the dots on the multiple choice not tick them. The exam officer for our school said that if she had not checked them and sent them off the 7 of us who did it would have gotten 0/25. But she contacted the exam board and asked what to do. It should be fine.:woo::yeah:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I did context 2 and went In to detail on 2 of the market failures but had to rush on to against intervention and my conclusion
    I had to just merge my against intervention and conclusion together. Just gotta hope the other parts of the paper were good.

ReputationRep:
    I fked up so bad on the 25 marker. Context 2 was hard. Misread the question and panicked i literally was just starting to write my against point and time up. The timing is ridiculous because you need time to read the contexts. Had my psychology exam today also and that went well! That is what i call good timing in terms of testing knowledge. The race against time just makes people panic and go blank... :|

(Original post by War-Mac)
    Lol guys i found out that you were meant to fill in the dots on the multiple choice not tick them. The exam officer for our school said that if she had not checked them and sent them off the 7 of us who did it would have gotten 0/25. But she contacted the exam board and asked what to do. It should be fine.:woo::yeah:
    oh lmao misread this hahah you should be fine

And I can say the exact same thing. Lots of people are struggling to do all of the questions in the time given, shown by everyone in every thread saying they needed more time.
    clearly they're all spending too much time on the wrong questions then

ReputationRep:
    What did people think of the paper today?
    The 12 mark question seemed odd I thought as no reference to using a diagram, which is what I expected. And wasn't the usual shifting of a curve or externality question either. Didn't seem to focus on the mainstream topics either.
    Did anyone do the essay about ethical issues which mentioned 3 diff types of market failure in it. Would I have needed to cover all 3. I only know interventions for negative externalities but not income inequality or monopolies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by War-Mac)
    that's what I meant. I helps if you talk about the diagram in your explanation but the diagram itself doesn't get any marks on the 25 marks essay. My teacher marks exams and that's what he said.
    So does mine (the exam marking I mean) and he always says you can get up to 4 marks for the diagrams themselves according to the complexity (the highest being a double diagram). Also mark schemes always state "reward relevant use of diagrams to support the analysis", so I guess they allocate extra mark per se.

The tutor2u guys also always stress students to try to add a diagram for each paragraph if they can...doubt they're talking out of their asses.

ReputationRep:
    Multiple choice questions would be much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't it be a better system if we were all given as much time as we needed, but the time we take to complete the paper is individually recorded? And over a certain time you begin to get penalised, and as time goes on you get penalised more and more—so that encourages you to write quickly, but still allows you to finish?

ReputationRep:
    It's because they probably waste too much time on the multiple choices section, especially the calculation ones. I see people spending 2+ minutes on a single question...madness.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.