why do A-Level Students Look Down on BTEC's? Watch

Zenarthra
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by yt7777)
do you study Computing?
Im just doing Further Maths Alevel this year.
I already completed my Alevels:
Mathematics A*
Physics A (2marks from A*)
Chemistry A

Im applying to CS at university.
yt7777
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Zenarthra)
Im just doing Further Maths Alevel this year.
I already completed my Alevels:
Mathematics A*
Physics A (2marks from A*)
Chemistry A

Im applying to CS at university.
wow, good grades!

where are you wanting to go?

have you done any programming before?
XxSophie01xX
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Binary Freak)
Evidently BCU recognizes it.
BCU recognises it as a BTEC - it will never be equal to A-Levels. A-Levels will always be held in higher esteem in the academic community than BTECs
Zenarthra
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
wow, good grades!

where are you wanting to go?

have you done any programming before?
Thank you.
I applied to Nottingham, Warwick, Kings, UCL, Manchester.
I have unconditional offer from all except UCL.
How about you, where do you study?
Not really programming but i built a website, so i know Javascript, PHP, CSS, HTML, MySQL.
Started learning C++ few months ago.
Sandra1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by XxSophie01xX)
BCU recognises it as a BTEC - it will never be equal to A-Levels. A-Levels will always be held in higher esteem in the academic community than BTECs
Okay BTEC level 3 and a levels are both level 3 qualifications...so they must be some how the same level?

Posted from TSR Mobile
yt7777
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you.
I applied to Nottingham, Warwick, Kings, UCL, Manchester.
I have unconditional offer from all except UCL.
How about you, where do you study?
Not really programming but i built a website, so i know Javascript, PHP, CSS, HTML, MySQL.
Started learning C++ few months ago.
Fair enough, thats really good

I would start with java if i were you, its easier and will probably be what you start with at uni
dye95
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
anyone studying btec applied science level 3 extended diploma
yt7777
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
you didnt reply to my last post to you

BTEC Extended is worth 3 A levels not 1 like you said and 95% of uk universities accept it and it covers the same content as A level, i got offers from 5 good unis and currently study at Royal holloway with just my BTEC
Zenarthra
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Fair enough, thats really good

I would start with java if i were you, its easier and will probably be what you start with at uni
Yeah i have been told that, but i've also been told to start with C++ by many of my friends.
And yes the CS course at uni, do use Java.
What languages do you know?
yt7777
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Yeah i have been told that, but i've also been told to start with C++ by many of my friends.
And yes the CS course at uni, do use Java.
What languages do you know?
Fair enoug, whatever works best for you
Java, Pascal, VB6, VB.Net, Python and in learning C next year and web technologies like HTML, CSS, JavaScript, PHP
Zenarthra
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Fair enoug, whatever works best for you
Java, Pascal, VB6, VB.Net, Python and in learning C next year and web technologies like HTML, CSS, JavaScript, PHP
Have you built anything yet?
yt7777
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Have you built anything yet?
In college i learnt Pascal and VB we had to create various programs in both some simple i.e. calculating area of a circle, volume of a cylinder, working out factorials etc and then our final Assignment was in a scenario of working for a company and we needed to create a pricing system, this worked well with our database unit where we were put in the same scenario and had to create a database to store customer and management information for the fictitious company.

At uni:
For Java we have had a few projects but most of the work gets done in the labs writing programs that exercise techniques learnt in lectures

As part of our Robotics module we built and programmed a robot to sort plastic balls this was in java using the lejos package.

For games programming we had to create games using python, we had to make Pong, Blackjack and Asteroids

Binary Freak
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
They're a different framework so obviously they're never going to be the same. But they're considered equivalent in value.
T.I.P
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You can do a BTEC and get a job or go onto uni.. A levels have no other use than to get you into u

Posted from TSR Mobile
Princepieman
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by T.I.P)
You can do a BTEC and get a job or go onto uni.. A levels have no other use than to get you into u

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kk, all those people with jobs after college are BTEC students sure.. I think you need to re-examine your statement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
toots
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Ryanx623)
I get that with certain courses, Health + Social care for example are complete knobs, However courses like Engineering are filled with A-level capable students...
Firstly, I'm a Health & Social Care student and at present, I hold 5 Uni offers - including 3 Russell Group universities and Bath.

Secondly, I know A LOT people who studied BTEC Level 3 Applied Sciences and are currently studying medicine related degrees (ie Pharmaceutical Sciences, Biomedical Sciences and Biochemistry) - some are at Russell Group Universities.

I also know a guy who is currently studying BTEC Level 3 Construction along with 1 A level AND got an UNCONDITIONAL offer from UCL to study PPE.

BTECs are the unsung heroes.
jojo10834
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It depends on the person, if they find exams easier then coursework, then A-Levels are perfect for them.
If they find coursework easier then they should do BTEC’s.
Doing a BTEC doesn’t make you dumb, and doing A-Level's doesn’t make you superior to those doing BTEC’s.
I do a mixture of A-Level’s and BTEC’s and it’s a lot of work, especially at the moment trying to finish my ICT course and revise for my exams. I have a friend that does BTEC’s and he’s one of the smartest people I know who got A’s and B’s at GCSE, so no BTEC’s are not for dumb people, there for those who wish to work in a vocational job doing something they love.
T.I.P
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Princepieman)
Kk, all those people with jobs after college are BTEC students sure.. I think you need to re-examine your statement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Did I say that... BTECS are very practical for example you would easily be capable of getting a tech support job either firstline or second with a BTEC IT Practioners course... A-Level Computing would not teach you enough for that role. Ive seen on job adverts employers asking for BTEC IT qualifications.

So hush your gums

Posted from TSR Mobile
Princepieman
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by T.I.P)
Did I say that... BTECS are very practical for example you would easily be capable of getting a tech support job either firstline or second with a BTEC IT Practioners course... A-Level Computing would not teach you enough for that role. Ive seen on job adverts employers asking for BTEC IT qualifications.

So hush your gums

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol, who the **** wants to work in IT support? I'd rather be a binman and keep my dignity - not to mention the never-ending abuse.
T.I.P
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Princepieman)
Lol, who the **** wants to work in IT support? I'd rather be a binman and keep my dignity - not to mention the never-ending abuse.
People

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (26)
7.22%
They might tell the bully (34)
9.44%
I don't think they'd understand (55)
15.28%
It might lead to more bullying (139)
38.61%
There's nothing they could do (106)
29.44%

Watched Threads