Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11Jason11)
    An object that stores elastic potential energy when squashed or stretched
    Yes, your correct. But to ensure the second mark make sure you say that it can RETURN to its original shape after its deformed by any given force applied.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11Jason11)
    Am I the only one who thinks P3 is easier than P2?
    Dunno I thought I did but I got a B in last years past p3 paper and an A* in the P2 paper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mawsis)
    Dunno I thought I did but I got a B in last years past p3 paper and an A* in the P2 paper
    Oh wow

ReputationRep:
    Anyone want to go through the properties of Alpha, Beta and Gamma radiation?

That's my 6 marker prediction for P2

ReputationRep:
    So in a filament lamp - As potential difference increases, temperature increases so current decreases slightly.
    And for a thermistor - As temperature increases, resistance decreases therefore current increases

Correct? - yes/no will do fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maxjackson5)
    So in a filament lamp - As potential difference increases, temperature increases so current decreases slightly.
    And for a thermistor - As temperature increases, resistance decreases therefore current increases

Correct? - yes/no will do fine
    That's correct. Good explanation!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jules12345)
    Can someone please explain regenerative braking please? P2
    This is the case in hybrid cars and it involves using the work done or energy transferred in the brakes to recharge electric cars so there batteries need to be recharged less. Therefore the car is much more efficient because work done is energy lost due to friction is being used to power the car effectively.
    Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isabellagrace)
    I think it is when in a smart car or electric car, when the brakes are applied all the kinetic energy transferred that would have been wasted as heat is converted to electrical then chemical, which is used to charge the cars battery
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by t.thompson22)
    "Regenerative braking systems" are most commonly used in modern hybrid electric cars are thr system is a lot safer than a normal braking system!

A regenerative braking system does two primary things:

1. Converts Electrical energy into Chemical energy to power the battery in the car.

2. When the regenerative brakes are applied by the driver, it puts the motor into a Reverse state. As a result, this slows down the wheels which allows the car to come to a stop!

It's advantageous over a normal braking system as normal brakes convert the kinetic energy into sound and thermal energy. But in a regenerative braking system, the energy is converted into chemical energy so it's not wasted! But stored instead.

Hope this helps!
    If you want a hand with any other topics in P2 then let me know.
    Thank you!! Can you please explain resultant forces please??

ReputationRep:

ALPHA - 2 protons and 2 neutrons so it has an overall 2+ charge. Can only travel a few cm's in air and is absorbed by skin and paper. It is deflected towards the negative plate in a magnetic/electric field due to its positive charge. Highly ionising.

BETA - 1 electron so it has an overall -1 charge. Can travel up to one metre through air and can penetrate through skin and paper, it requires a few cm of aluminium to be absorbed? Deflects towards positive plate in an electric/magnetic field due to its negative charge (more so than alpha particles are deflected because it has a much smaller mass). Fairly ionisng.

GAMMA - Electromagnetic wave with no charge. Unlimited through air and requires a few feet of concrete/few cm of lead to be absorbed. Is not effected by electric/magnetic fields because it has no charge. Not very ionising atall.

That's what I've learnt. Anything to add?

ReputationRep:
    P3 6 marker Prediction
    Centre of Mass- How to set up an experiment for a piece of paper compared to an irregular shape. include definition of centre of mass and variables etc.

ReputationRep:

Alpha:
    -Helium Nuclei, 2+ Charge, has a relatively large mass compared to the other 2
    -Very short range in air, stopped by air in fact
    -Very ionising
    -Not very penetrating

Beta:
    -Electron, at a high speed, 1- Charge
    -Long range in air
    -Moderately ionising
    -Moderately penetrating

Gamma:
    -Electromagnetic wave, 0 Charge
    -Very long range in air
    -Not very ionising
    -Very penetrating

ReputationRep:
    ALPHA - 2 protons and 2 neutrons so it has an overall 2+ charge. Can only travel a few cm's in air and is absorbed by skin and paper. It is deflected towards the negative plate in a magnetic/electric field due to its positive charge. Highly ionising.

BETA - 1 electron so it has an overall -1 charge. Can travel up to one metre through air and can penetrate through skin and paper, it requires a few cm of aluminium to be absorbed? Deflects towards positive plate in an electric/magnetic field due to its negative charge (more so than alpha particles are deflected because it has a much smaller mass). Fairly ionisng.

GAMMA - Electromagnetic wave with no charge. Unlimited through air and requires a few feet of concrete/few cm of lead to be absorbed. Is not effected by electric/magnetic fields because it has no charge. Not very ionising atall.

Perfect!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!! Can you please explain resultant forces please??
    There is ALOT on resultant forces and acceleration. Anything in particular?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adapttochangelad)
    This is the case in hybrid cars and it involves using the work done or energy transferred in the brakes to recharge electric cars so there batteries need to be recharged less. Therefore the car is much more efficient because work done is energy lost due to friction is being used to power the car effectively.
    Hope this helps!
    Yep it did thanks!

ReputationRep:
    There is ALOT on resultant forces and acceleration. Anything in particular?
    Haha like with a parachute? I just don't get it at all

ReputationRep:

You may also need to know specific examples of where beta, alpha and gamma radiation are used e.g. beta is used in the manufacturing of foil and sometimes used as a medical tracer as it generally has a suitable half-life and decays into a stable product

ReputationRep:
    Haha like with a parachute? I just don't get it at all
    That's like the only thing in P2 which I can't get my head round either 😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adapttochangelad)
    You may also need to know specific examples of where beta, alpha and gamma radiation are used e.g. beta is used in the manufacturing of foil and sometimes used as a medical tracer as it generally has a suitable half-life and decays into a stable product
    okay thank you!

ReputationRep:
    That's like the only thing in P2 which I can't get my head round either 😂
    Haha so hard 😁

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.