Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jabberjay_)
    Also do you know how leniant imperial are with people who miss offers, say getting A*AA instead of A*A*A? Do you know anyone who got in but missed their offer?
    Not very, I'm afraid. I know of people who missed their offer by literally 1 or 2 UMS. Exception may be if you applied to JMC and slightly missed your maths offer - then you may be considered for normal Computing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bwr19)
    Pretty good, thanks for asking! There's certainly a lot of work and you will be under some pressure, but it's totally worth it. Make sure you start out on the correct foot and you should really enjoy the first year. We hold some fantastic events and get in some great guest speakers. The lecturers are generally really passionate about their research and are more than willing to help you out. I've also found that every year is very friendly with each other - so don't be afraid to talk to 2nd, 3rd, 4th years when you get here.

The course is also quite good - a good mix of different disciplines which keeps things interesting. Look forward to 2-4 weekly deadlines, though.

You will be busy, but if you keep on top of it, there's still time to enjoy yourself as well.
    Nice to hear a balanced perspective on it, there's a lot of negativity around the workload and social life at Imperial which worried me for a bit.

Are there any halls would you recommend/not recommend applying for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bwr19)
    Not very, I'm afraid. I know of people who missed their offer by literally 1 or 2 UMS. Exception may be if you applied to JMC and slightly missed your maths offer - then you may be considered for normal Computing.
    Are they also not very lenient on STEP offers either? Say, if you had an offer of A*AAA (A* in Maths) + STEP 1 at Grade 2, but you get A*A*AA (A* in Further Maths and Maths) but miss out on thr STEP part?

(This is for normal Computing)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bwr19)
    Current first year here. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.
    Do you think ability with Maths helps more in the first year or previous programming experience?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zshn)
    Nice to hear a balanced perspective on it, there's a lot of negativity around the workload and social life at Imperial which worried me for a bit.

Are there any halls would you recommend/not recommend applying for?
    Do not apply for Xenia. It's South Kensington prices at a Woodward-ish distance. (I'm there and I wasn't too thrilled when I initially found out)

Woodward is very far but cheap and the best facilities since it only opened this year. Beit is very noisy because it's where the union is so beware of that. Wilson is only a short walk/cycle away, and Pembridge is very small and isolated. Southside/Eastside are extremely nice (and literally across the road from uni) so pick those if the prices are okay for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by js.int)
    Are they also not very lenient on STEP offers either? Say, if you had an offer of A*AAA (A* in Maths) + STEP 1 at Grade 2, but you get A*A*AA (A* in Further Maths and Maths) but miss out on thr STEP part?

(This is for normal Computing)
    My offer didn't include STEP, but it's possible that if you missed step and exceeded expections in the other A-levels you might be okay. I wouldn't guarantee it though. Maths skill is really the primary thing they want for incoming Computing freshers, so yeah don't bank on that.

ReputationRep:
    What a levels do you guys do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecsstudent)
    Do you think ability with Maths helps more in the first year or previous programming experience?
    For me, I wish I had brushed up on maths more before I started. I believe you will receive an email soon with a list of revision material on it soon (perhaps August when results are out). For computing students, there is a maths test in the very first week, mainly testing A-level standard stuff, but it's still important to brush up on it as it will determine if you need extra maths tuition or not.

If you have no programming experience, it won't hurt to look at some Haskell and/or Java right now, but the lecturers manage to get everybody to a similar programming skill level very quickly so I wouldn't worry about that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bwr19)
    Do not apply for Xenia. It's South Kensington prices at a Woodward-ish distance. (I'm there and I wasn't too thrilled when I initially found out)

Woodward is very far but cheap and the best facilities since it only opened this year. Beit is very noisy because it's where the union is so beware of that. Wilson is only a short walk/cycle away, and Pembridge is very small and isolated. Southside/Eastside are extremely nice (and literally across the road from uni) so pick those if the prices are okay for you.
    Yeah I've been hearing similar things about Xenia. Do you know if it's alright sharing kitchens with 10-20 people at Eastside/Southside? Thanks for answering our questions!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zshn)
    Yeah I've been hearing similar things about Xenia. Do you know if it's alright sharing kitchens with 10-20 people at Eastside/Southside? Thanks for answering our questions!
    Yeah, the kitchens at Southside/Eastside are absolutely massive. There are several of every appliance. It's really not that much of a problem. From my experience in those halls, there's rarely more than a couple of people in the kitchen at any one time. You don't get much storage space in the South/Eastside kitchens, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bwr19)
    Yeah, the kitchens at Southside/Eastside are absolutely massive. There are several of every appliance. It's really not that much of a problem. From my experience in those halls, there's rarely more than a couple of people in the kitchen at any one time. You don't get much storage space in the South/Eastside kitchens, though.
    Ah that's good to hear. Thanks for all the help, really really appreciate it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bwr19)
    I've got my eye on one of the new macbook pros which come out in October, is it possible to get by without a laptop at Imperial doing computing for a month or so?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seytonic)
    I've got my eye on one of the new macbook pros which come out in October, is it possible to get by without a laptop at Imperial doing computing for a month or so?
    Nothing to say they're being released in October, it's more than possible that they'll be released earlier. Seemingly likely to be announced at WWDC mid june then they could literally be released on that day. Other reports suggest Q4 of 2016 although thats the fiscal year and such you're still looking at july/august/sept.

ReputationRep:
    Holy **** y'all are predicted A's. heh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rabadon)
    Nothing to say they're being released in October, it's more than possible that they'll be released earlier. Seemingly likely to be announced at WWDC mid june then they could literally be released on that day. Other reports suggest Q4 of 2016 although thats the fiscal year and such you're still looking at july/august/sept.
    I hope they are released earlier, it would make things so much easier. But the articles coming out in the past few days suggest the new macbook pros will come out in september/october => https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourc...r+2016&tbm=nws and instead WWDC will see the launch of a 13 inch macbook. Alas, these are just rumours, I hope they're wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Yes - the Computing labs, which houses ~250 state-of-the-art machines, is open every day from 8am to 12pm. So technically you can survive Imperial Computing for a month without a laptop but with the lab machines. Though mind you - during daytime the labs are extremely busy as the machines are shared by 750 undergrads/ taught postgraduates.

ReputationRep:
    You can survive the entire course without a laptop if you have to. I've been using the lab computers exclusively for a few months now. Haven't unplugged my laptop from my room for about the same amount of time. So the short answer is, yes absolutely.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck to those of us with the dreadful STEP offers for tomorrow. We can do it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bwr19)
    You can survive the entire course without a laptop if you have to. I've been using the lab computers exclusively for a few months now. Haven't unplugged my laptop from my room for about the same amount of time. So the short answer is, yes absolutely.
    What would you recommend the Laptop/Computer spec should be?
    Also, How many sockets do you get in your room?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RandomNickname)
    Do you guys think they will be strict on STEP condition?
    So err.. I was given an offer last year of A*AA and a Grade 1 in STEP 2. I achieved A*A*A but a Grade 3 in STEP 2. My application was put under review for 7 days (!!) and then I was rejected. But it means they do still consider you! I'm re-applying this year and I only need a Grade 2 in STEP 1 now and another A in an extra 1 year a level I'm taking. Fingers crossed!

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.