Turn on thread page Beta

Do you agree with Same-sex marriage? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Do you agree with Same-sex Marriage?
    Yes!
    77.34%
    NO!!!
    22.66%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NewestPharm)
    I'm Christian and we don't accept homosexuality. However, that doesn't mean I will be violent towards them because of this. Remember:
    'Hate the Sin, not the Sinner'

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Gosh, that's so nice and tolerant of you. You don't hate gay people, you just hate who they are because of their sexual orientation.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by bardnnyc)
    Would you support incest?...father-daughter relationship?, son-mother relationship?

would you support polygamy, polyandry?
    I wouldn't be involved in it, and it wouldn't affect me. Other people's love/sex lives are none of my concern.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Andy98)
    I support the principles behind it. However, I was always under the impression marriage was a religious ceremony; in which case I don't see why we should alter the religion to suit modern times when it could just be left to die out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wrong. Religion doesn't own marriage or have a monopoly over it in any way, shape, or form. It doesn't have to be a religious ceremony, it just is sometimes in accordance with beliefs.
    Religions don't have to change, but they ought to. Society shouldn't alter itself to suit religions and cults, it should be the other way around.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingBradly)
    I completely support same-sex marriage but in one respect it's a shame that it was was legalized. Christianity doesn't except homosexuality, full stop. It is a backwards, outdated, incredibly stupid religion that should just be left to die out, rather than adapted to suit the modern world.
    Why are you only targeting Christianity; what about other religions?
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    Wrong. Religion doesn't own marriage or have a monopoly over it in any way, shape, or form. It doesn't have to be a religious ceremony, it just is sometimes in accordance with beliefs.
    Religions don't have to change, but thry ought to. Society shouldn't alter itself it suit religions and cults, it should be the other way around.
    I've never come across it not being religious....
    Yeah, but if the religion doesn't change; it can be left to die out as far as I care.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathematicus65)
    Well unfortunately for you, we live in a civilised capitalist society in which everyone is entitled to their opinion not just yourself. I am anti-homosexual with respects to it disrupting my religious beliefs, otherwise practising it is fine in my opinion as long as such acts do not involve me. I respect the desires of homosexuals but also believe that they should respect the Christian community preference of not allowing gay marriage since, despite some of the nonsense above, derived from poorly explained arguments, but marriage is a Christian ceremony. Forcing your beliefs on the Christian religion is ignorant and selfish
    You are "anti-homosexual with respect to it disrupting your religious beliefs"? But... how? How does it "disrupt" them? Leviticus 18:22 says "do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman", and the existence of gay marriage, or indeed of gay people, doesn't stop you from practising that tenet. The existence of people who don't believe in your philosophy places no infringement in your ability to follow it yourself. Leviticus 11:12 says "whatsoever hath no fins nor scales in the waters, that shall be an abomination unto you", and yet you do not campaign to stop people eating shellfish- though, doubtless, by the apparent strength of your religious fervour, you would never dream of eating one yourself- because you accept, quite reasonably, that you have neither right nor divine obligation to try to force others to obey your own religious principles.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, and this is going from someone whose religious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Candy55)
    Yes, and this is going from someone whose religious.
    Yay!!!

May I ask- which religion? Were you brought up tolerant, or was it a conscious logical conclusion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Synchyst)
    Homosexuality is filthy and vile. Anyone that forces homosexuality down my throat will have several broken ribs.

Nasty stuff.
    Wow. Does this originate from Judeo-Christian religious beliefs?

ReputationRep:
    I've never come across it not being religious....
    Yeah, but if the religion doesn't change; it can be left to die out as far as I care.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Countless ceremonies are performed in non religious settings. Registry offices for example.
    Homosexuality is filthy and vile. Anyone that forces homosexuality down my throat will have several broken ribs.

Nasty stuff.
    I doubt anyone is forcing homosexuality upon you. But it's interesting to see that your reaction to such an idea is violence.
    Denial, it ain't just a river in Egypt.
    You fools are promoting anal sex. How psychologically retarded can one be?
    As long as it's performed safely and sensibly, there's no harm in taking the Hershey highway.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Countless ceremonies are performed in non religious settings. Registry offices for example.
    Yeah, but I thought it still a minister that performs the ceremony?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gwilym101)
    in various African nations the HIV 1 in 4 people have HIV/AIDS far higher than the homosexual demographic of those nations.
    Bull****! the heterosexuals in the African 'epidemic' are 'intravenous drug users' by virtue of the improperly performed vaccination campaigns that spread HIV in Africa. Besides I wasn't talking about global statistics only UK where gays are 10x more likely to contract HIV/Aids.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Skeptique)
    a syndrome
    "Yes if [homosexuality] is present but not the persons choice then its a sickness" - you can put as many disclaimers on it as you want, but you explicitly called it a sickness.

(Original post by ZZTop1)
    Hear Hear!
    Have you actually looked into studies on the matter of same-sex parenting? There's nothing to support your argument.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by bardnnyc)
    Would you support incest?...father-daughter relationship?, son-mother relationship?

would you support polygamy, polyandry?
    That doesn't answer the question.

ReputationRep:
    In my religion its not allowed but i believe in free will its up to anyone to marry who they want, if someone stops it then its a breach of freedom

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but I thought it still a minister that performs the ceremony?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, not necessarily a religious minister. Just a person who is licensed.
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    No, not necessarily a religious minister. Just a person who is licensed.
    Oh, fair enough

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Romula)
    Yay!!!

May I ask- which religion? Were you brought up tolerant, or was it a conscious logical conclusion?
    Christian.

I think it is a conscious logical decision. It never bothered me.

I read or heard somewhere that a priest said that Matthew Shepard deserved what happened to him. That's SO messed up!! He's advocating the murder of a poor man due to his sexual preferences.

I don't think this is the kind of thing God would approve of, you know? Just like those ISIS people say their killing people in the name of God, but they're not! They think they're following God's word but they're just being hateful and evil!! Two wrongs do not make a right.

Also when strict families tell their kids they're going to hell or something for being that way, it drives them to suicide like Leela Alcorn . I've seen it documented many times in books, news and stuff.

I dunno if I made any sense at all, ahah but yeah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NewestPharm)
    I'm Christian and we don't accept homosexuality. However, that doesn't mean I will be violent towards them because of this.
    :lol: Are you not merciful? Truly we should be grateful for your benevolence that homosexuals should not be attacked simply because of their sexuality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SignFromDog)
    :lol: Are you not merciful? Truly we should be grateful for your benevolence that homosexuals should not be attacked simply because of their sexuality.
    I was trying to make the point that not all Christians are violent towards homosexuality. Some (like myself) are understanding.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.