Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jramzan)
    It's quite nice that there's support to get through the GAMSAT, I'll be applying next year. I'm a nurse at the moment, other than St George's and Nottingham, what other universities accept the GAMSAT?

My name is Junaid by the way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi fellow nurses - junaid+ Liam, I am so glad i bumped into you guys. I am also a student nurse, unfortunately, it looks as though I'll b stuck with a 2.2. I have just found out that st George's do not accept 2.2s anymore. If you guys have started your revision, what advice would you give ?

ReputationRep:
    It's quite nice that there's support to get through the GAMSAT, I'll be applying next year. I'm a nurse at the moment, other than St George's and Nottingham, what other universities accept the GAMSAT?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi fellow nurses - junaid+ Liam, I am so glad i bumped into you guys. I am also a student nurse, unfortunately, it looks as though I'll b stuck with a 2.2. I have just found out that st George's do not accept 2.2s anymore. If you guys have started your revision, what advice would you give ?

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How long has been everyone preparing for the Sept GAMSAT?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who's done with the GAMSAT giving away any prep material?

Also, where can I buy des o'neil books? Heard good things about it but can't seem to find it on amazon.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if anyone out there is still in need of GAMSAT prep stuff - but if they are - I am selling the stuff I used last year ( I'm not really sure whether I'm allowed to post a gumtree link on here, so feel free to PM for it!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VARRRDAQ)
    How long has been everyone preparing for the Sept GAMSAT?
    I started about a week ago, not really done much, you ?

ReputationRep:
    On and off since Feb 2016. Finished my biomed degree in June 2015 and decided to relax a bit but also work for money/free

ReputationRep:
    Question for anyone who has sat the GAMSAT before:

Did you finish the science section? I just timed myself through the red booklet of practice questions (only 50 questions instead of the usual amount) but I kept to the same time:question ratio. I ended up finishing around 45 of the 50 questions before I realise time had run out.. Though I didn't give myself any reading time either.

Should it even be an aim to finish, or will that just screw up the questions I do manage to get done by rushing? It's so hard to know how they score these things... I got low 60%ish overall but who knows what kind of GAMSAT number that might equal. Still got plenty of more stuff to go over and practice yet anyway.

Just wondering if anyone can shed some light?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Themightylaa)

Did you finish the science section? I just timed myself through the red booklet of practice questions (only 50 questions instead of the usual amount) but I kept to the same time:question ratio. I ended up finishing around 45 of the 50 questions before I realise time had run out.. Though I didn't give myself any reading time either.

Should it even be an aim to finish, or will that just screw up the questions I do manage to get done by rushing? It's so hard to know how they score these things... I got low 60%ish overall but who knows what kind of GAMSAT number that might equal. Still got plenty of more stuff to go over and practice yet anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hey, so I sat it last year and I guessed about 20 questions i was expecting to guess around 10 or so i think, as it's very difficult to finish on time. Ended up guessing more because I was so tired from 3 hours of s1 and S3 that I couldn't concentrate and was half asleepm im amazed I did quite well in s3 in the end. I wish s3 was the first thing it it being strongest section!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, so I sat it last year and I guessed about 20 questions i was expecting to guess around 10 or so i think, as it's very difficult to finish on time. Ended up guessing more because I was so tired from 3 hours of s1 and S3 that I couldn't concentrate and was half asleepm im amazed I did quite well in s3 in the end. I wish s3 was the first thing it it being strongest section!
    Can I ask what you got in S3 last time then considering you guessed around 20? It's a difficult one to say the least, and as you say after 4+ hours of actual test time I bet the end just starts to really become a battle of concentration!

ReputationRep:
    Can I ask what you got in S3 last time then considering you guessed around 20? It's a difficult one to say the least, and as you say after 4+ hours of actual test time I bet the end just starts to really become a battle of concentration!
    I got 68. Yes, S3 it becomes really difficult to concentrate. You're just mentally tired then. No matter how much you revise, half the battle would be to stay fresh enough to allow to perform at your best!

ReputationRep:
    I got 68. Yes, S3 it becomes really difficult to concentrate. You're just mentally tired then. No matter how much you revise, half the battle would be to stay fresh enough to allow to perform at your best!
    That's a great score considering you also guessed 20 questions! Of course we have no idea what a 'great score' constitutes... But still, it's safely away from the cut-offs.

I know, that's probably going to be my weakness. I'm generally pretty good with S1, and S2 isn't too concerning, but S3 is where I'll be exhausted and just want to stop. Should be a fun experience 😫

ReputationRep:
    I probably guessed around 20 questions too and got 55 in s3. To combat the tiredness thing I did all the biology questions first; I found they had the most text and were most difficult to digest. Then chemistry which needed less reading and tended to have a similar pattern to the practice papers that I was familiar with. Physics I left until last and really guessed them all; some were educated guesses, some not at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I managed to just finish on they day. The key is working out an order of doing questions that works for you.

I first went through during the reading time and answered all of the short easy one or two markers. These tend to be physics and centre around knowing a simple concept or equation to get the answer (think optics etc). Then I went through doing the chem/orgo because I found those more about science than reasoning and the question stems were nearly always shorter. Then I'd do another pass doing the bio as they take ages to read and understand; lots of educated guesses here but an educated guess is better than a blind guess. Finally, any questions left on my sheet that I absolutely had no idea and couldn't even make an educated guess on, I just put C at the end- this was about 5 or so questions.

Pro-plus at lunch time definitely helped, but if you're not quite finishing it isn't the end of the world as long as you're getting the majority of the questions that you do attempt correct.

For reference I scored 70 in S3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liam__)
    I managed to just finish on they day. The key is working out an order of doing questions that works for you.

I first went through during the reading time and answered all of the short easy one or two markers. These tend to be physics and centre around knowing a simple concept or equation to get the answer (think optics etc). Then I went through doing the chem/orgo because I found those more about science than reasoning and the question stems were nearly always shorter. Then I'd do another pass doing the bio as they take ages to read and understand; lots of educated guesses here but an educated guess is better than a blind guess. Finally, any questions left on my sheet that I absolutely had no idea and couldn't even make an educated guess on, I just put C at the end- this was about 5 or so questions.

Pro-plus at lunch time definitely helped, but if you're not quite finishing it isn't the end of the world as long as you're getting the majority of the questions that you do attempt correct.

For reference I scored 70 in S3.
    Pro plus are a god send for s3. The caffeine release seems slower and more drawn out compared to heavy caffeinated drinks.

Liam's strategy is good and clearly works. However, in my experience I have found that the tests have a few easy sections at the end (last 10 questions or so) as I think they know candidates are likely to be more tired then or might just miss them altogether. So check to see if there are some easy marks there.

Also i think it's imperative to stick with a guessing letter for your blind guesses.

ReputationRep:
    Hi I am just signing up online for the exam in September I'm a bit confused about the UCAS number can I submit that info later or if I sign up to UCAS now is that only applicable for those going through clearing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kethan)
    Not sure if anyone out there is still in need of GAMSAT prep stuff - but if they are - I am selling the stuff I used last year ( I'm not really sure whether I'm allowed to post a gumtree link on here, so feel free to PM for it!)
    Hi! My name is Kalaivani I need gumtree link im going to write GAMSAT in September 2016. Could u please email me link to my email [email protected]. If u can otherwise no problems.

ReputationRep:
    That's a great score considering you also guessed 20 questions! Of course we have no idea what a 'great score' constitutes... But still, it's safely away from the cut-offs.

I know, that's probably going to be my weakness. I'm generally pretty good with S1, and S2 isn't too concerning, but S3 is where I'll be exhausted and just want to stop. Should be a fun experience 😫
    Thanks!

You definitely seem to come across as having the right attitude to sit this exam. How are you preparing for S2?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!

You definitely seem to come across as having the right attitude to sit this exam. How are you preparing for S2?
    Practice! Timed practice.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 27, 2017

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.