Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

*MEGATHREAD* Interview discussion thread '15-'16 watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Have you received any interview invitations yet + where?
    University of Bristol
    16.28%
    Cardiff University
    22.09%
    University of Southampton
    8.14%
    University of Nottingham
    18.60%
    University of Birmingham
    34.88%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olivia7001)
    can anyone help me with interview tips, like what things to research etc.
    My sixth form is only a couple of years old, and no-one has applied for medicine before, so my school are completely clueless and basically don't have any guidance for me.
    I'm freaking out a little bit, I've got an interview in the new year.
    I have one next week so I'm trying to look back at my personal statement to see that I have good knowledge of everything covered there. Also, I would try and look into some generic questions such as 'why medicine' or 'why this university'

NHS issues may also come up- this can include A and E waiting times/ lack of funds/ lack of beds etc
    Doctors contracts are most likely to come up too so maybe read up on that?
    Look into ethical scenarios and make sure you know the four main principles: Justice, beneficence, non maleficence and autonomy.
    Make sure you know the rules on confidentiality
    Look into controversial topics such as Euthanasia/abortion etc
    Also, make sure you look into the university curriculum so you know what sort of structure they use (PBL, intergrated, traditional) and what you learn, maybe pick out an interesting topic that you can talk about?

This is basically what I am doing. If you search online there are loads of questions that you can find. This book is also very helpful as it goes through the questions and the sorts of answers which would be deemed good or bad..
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Interviews-Q.../dp/1905812051

You could also try asking your friends to give you mock interviews?

Good Luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cookiemonster15)
    I have one next week so I'm trying to look back at my personal statement to see that I have good knowledge of everything covered there. Also, I would try and look into some generic questions such as 'why medicine' or 'why this university'

NHS issues may also come up- this can include A and E waiting times/ lack of funds/ lack of beds etc
    Look into ethical scenarios and make sure you know the four main principles: Justice, beneficence, non maleficence and autonomy.
    Also, make sure you look into the university curriculum so you know what sort of structure they use (PBL, intergrated, traditional) and what you learn, maybe pick out an interesting topic that you can talk about?

This is basically what I am doing. If you search online there are loads of questions that you can find. This book is also very helpful as it goes through the questions and the sorts of answers which would be deemed good or bad..

Good Luck
    Hey, this is extremely helpful, thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tanishqa)
    Hey, this is extremely helpful, thank you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's ok Do you have an interview coming up soon?

ReputationRep:
    That's ok Do you have an interview coming up soon?
    Nah. I have one about a month and half later. :P
    I'm hoping to get the other one scheduled somewhere near that time as I'm an international applicant. And I have my fingers crossed for the other two unis.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tanishqa)
    Nah. I have one about a month and half later. :P
    I'm hoping to get the other one scheduled somewhere near that time as I'm an international applicant. And I have my fingers crossed for the other two unis.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh cool! At least you've got a bit of time to prepare for it!

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so I've been dwelling on this question for a while and I don't know what would be the ethically right thing to do.

So say, you have two patients in need of a transplant and you need to decide who to give it to (I think you only have one organ that is compatible with both of them) However, you also know that one of them has obtained the need for the transplant because they are an alcoholic. So who would you give it to?

I know that justice plays a role here in the sense that everyone should recieve the same sort of care whatever their background/circumstances, but I also know that with say live transplants there are strict regulations to make sure that the alcoholic would not consume the substance after the transplant.

What would you do?

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so I've been dwelling on this question for a while and I don't know what would be the ethically right thing to do.

So say, you have two patients in need of a transplant and you need to decide who to give it to (I think you only have one organ that is compatible with both of them) However, you also know that one of them has obtained the need for the transplant because they are an alcoholic. So who would you give it to?

I know that justice plays a role here in the sense that everyone should recieve the same sort of care whatever their background/circumstances, but I also know that with say live transplants there are strict regulations to make sure that the alcoholic would not consume the substance after the transplant.

What would you do?
    Are you in the WhatsApp group or nah?

ReputationRep:

What would you do?
    Well hmmm....I think I would still go for the non-alcoholic person cause the alcoholic person may relapse. Keep the alcoholic person under strict supervision if ur gonna give him that liver and get him to rehab.
    U can also mention the opt out system here...why it's applicable here cause then u would have the livers available and this would be a very good solution
    I'm just brainstorming so I maybe wrong 😥

ReputationRep:
    What do you guys think are current topical debate topics which could come up?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

What would you do?
    An alcoholic will not usually get put on the transplant list unless they have been dry for at least 6 months. At that point, if they stay sober, you allocate organs based on clinical need.

ReputationRep:

What would you do?
    You're right in saying that justice plays a part in the decision, but I'm not sure you would be able to decide on the factors you have outlined. You would need to consider age, other social and health circumstances, their impact on society, etc...

ReputationRep:

Good Luck
    Thank you so much ❤️ Good luck to you this has been so helpful

ReputationRep:
    anyone have one at Cardiff on the 11th?

ReputationRep:
    abybody have heard from uni of edinbourgh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcelinee)
    abybody have heard from uni of edinbourgh?
    Nope. I think I got something like a logon in September but nothing since. Just waiting till March

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Who takes priority when it comes to being a surrogate decision maker? ie is it spouse, SO, family, etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScaredBanana)
    Who takes priority when it comes to being a surrogate decision maker? ie is it spouse, SO, family, etc
    I think it depends on who the power of attorney is (so this would be the person that the patient chose to make their decisions for them in the circumstance they become incompetent)

If there is no one I think the doctor decides what to do in the best interest of the patient.

I think this is correct but someone tell me if I'm wrong

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScaredBanana)
    Unless specifically appointed as a Health and Welfare Lasting Power of Attorney (not just a financial one), NOBODY has the legal right to consent to or refuse treatment on behalf of another adult. Doctors will usually discuss major treatment decisions with a patient's next of kin (and sometimes wider family) if the patient is not capable of making the decision themselves, to try to get an idea of what the patient's views might have been, and will usually try to reach an agreement that suits the patient and keeps the relatives happy, but if this is not possible, then the doctors should act in the patient's best interests.

ReputationRep:
    anyone know when leeds starts giving out interviews?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know about the privatisation of the NHS?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 21, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.