Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by James Milibanter)
    Current interest rates for UK Government Borrowing are 1.396%

We can repay it at £2.002792bn per year (rounded down to £2bn) for 50 years.
    With 1.396% interest rates repaying 2bn a year will take 85 years, paying at the rate given will only knock 1 year off.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    With 1.396% interest rates repaying 2bn a year will take 85 years, paying at the rate given will only knock 1 year off.
    When we see the economy boosted thanks to my measures, we'll see surpluses being used to tackle the debt. At the moment though, £2bn per year to receive 500,000 homes as well as stability for the british people is a good bet.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    When we see the economy boosted thanks to my measures, we'll see surpluses being used to tackle the debt. At the moment though, £2bn per year to receive 500,000 homes as well as stability for the british people is a good bet.
    I didn't know that penalising business is seen as leading to stronger economic growth...

ReputationRep:
    Current interest rates for UK Government Borrowing are 1.396%

We can repay it at £2.002792bn per year (rounded down to £2bn) for 50 years.
    No, you cannot: if the debt was taken out as long-term for 50 years, the interest rate servicing it would be £1.36bn per year; it could take 156 years to pay it all back at £2bn.

Jammy Duel I do not count someone who self-studies with no formal certification as an accountant, his financing plan is mad. He is not explaining how he arrives at his figures for paying £2.002792bn a year for 50 years, I cannot find any financing plan, nor budgetary equation which returns that answer.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by AlwaysWatching)
    Does the government agree that with the current tension around the globe and the unpredictable activities around the world of certain state and non state actors, it is wise to back the renewal of Trident?
    Having not read the interim pages of debate yet, I believe that some form of nuclear deterrent ought to be continued. What form that deterrent ought to take needs further consideration however.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I didn't know that penalising business is seen as leading to stronger economic growth...
    We're not penalising business, for a start our decrease in VAT will lead to a boost to businesses, keeping CGT and Corporation Tax won't be hindering business growth, decreases to Income Tax will lead to people with more spending power, the wealth tax, inheritance tax, and GRT will all lead to increased economic activity.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    We're not penalising business, for a start our decrease in VAT will lead to a boost to businesses, keeping CGT and Corporation Tax won't be hindering business growth, decreases to Income Tax will lead to people with more spending power, the wealth tax, inheritance tax, and GRT will all lead to increased economic activity.
    You're effectively doubling business rates and trebling council tax, albeit only on a small section of the population, well, a tenth.

I've also run the figures and for you to take 50 years (exactly) to pay off the £100bn with a 1.396% interest rate ignoring inflation in all regards the annual payments would have to be £2,791,841,980.80
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    Jammy Duel I think know how he has arrived at his figure, he has multiplied the £100bn debt by the interest rate of 1.396% to find a repayable amount of £1.0396bn, then divided that by a little over £2bn to find a repayment time of 50 years, but government finance does not work like that.
    Again, I know exactly how he got to it, I just wanted to tell him how wildly out he was by forgetting that the interest is on the outstanding amount and then considering compound interest.

ReputationRep:
    Again, I know exactly how he got to it, I just wanted to tell him how wildly out he was by forgetting that the interest is on the outstanding amount and then considering compound interest.
    I have been misinterpreting your posts, I thought you were as baffled as I was over his figure.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    You're effectively doubling business rates and trebling council tax, albeit only on a small section of the population, well, a tenth.

I've also run the figures and for you to take 50 years (exactly) to pay off the £100bn with a 1.396% interest rate ignoring inflation in all regards the annual payments would have to be £2,791,841,980.80
    I think that may be right, I'll double check though (but so far my figures regarding this scheme have been bouncing up and down all over the gaff so I'm not too sure what good double checking'll do), in any case, something I've overlooked is the amount we'll save out of housing benefit thanks to the scheme, the difference in the average benefit payout to a private tenant and a social tenant inEngland is currently £936 per year so there's every chance that we can save up to £450m a year or at least £300m if you want to be conservative.

Jammy Duel I think know how he has arrived at his figure, he has multiplied the £100bn debt by the interest rate of 1.396% to find a repayable amount of £1.0396bn, then divided that by a little over £2bn to find a repayment time of 50 years, but government finance does not work like that.
    I have been going over the maths, and yes, I think they're slightly wrong.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I have been misinterpreting your posts, I thought you were as baffled as I was over his figure.
    Jammy's right. Like a **** I put the interest on the repayments rather than the total debt.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I think that may be right, I'll double check though (but so far my figures regarding this scheme have been bouncing up and down all over the gaff so I'm not too sure what good double checking'll do), in any case, something I've overlooked is the amount we'll save out of housing benefit thanks to the scheme, the difference in the average benefit payout to a private tenant and a social tenant inEngland is currently £936 per year so there's every chance that we can save up to £450m a year or at least £300m if you want to be conservative.

I have been going over the maths, and yes, I think they're slightly wrong.
    Hallelujah, you have accepted you've done something wrong, even if it is one of the less important figures given that it refers to deficit projections and only has a very small effect, whilst you still, I assume,. stubbornly hold on to your main error in the accounting for the spending.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Hallelujah, you have accepted you've done something wrong, even if it is one of the less important figures given that it refers to deficit projections and only has a very small effect, whilst you still, I assume,. stubbornly hold on to your main error in the accounting for the spending.
    I don't think it makes much of a difference now, I'll mention it in the End of Term Review.

Besides, if I put it in as £20bn a year, it would read like this:

£20bn year 1, remaining debt £81.1168bn
    £20bn year 2, remaining debt £61.969990528
    £20bn year 3, remaining debt £42.55589159577088
    £20bn year 4, remaining debt £23bn
    £23bn year 5 debt covered.

ReputationRep:
    Jammy's right. Like a **** I put the interest on the repayments rather than the total debt.
    The compound interest does not matter in government financing, plan on paying the servicing interest for an infinite amount of time; it will cost £500m per year forever until the outstanding amount becomes small enough due to inflation to be repaid.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    The compound interest does not matter in government financing, plan on paying the servicing interest for an infinite amount of time; it will cost £500m per year forever until the outstanding amount becomes small enough due to inflation to be repaid.
    But we're currently paying £40bn a year in interest repayments, £40bn that could be spent in the economy
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I don't think it makes much of a difference now, I'll mention it in the End of Term Review.

Besides, if I put it in as £20bn a year, it would read like this:

£20bn year 1, remaining debt £81.1168bn
    £20bn year 2, remaining debt £61.969990528
    £20bn year 3, remaining debt £42.55589159577088
    £20bn year 4, remaining debt £23bn
    £23bn year 5 debt covered.
    If you're going to be doing it like that there is no point in taking out the loan at all given that you are borrowing before you need it, later I'll run through how it should look in terms of totals
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    But we're currently paying £40bn a year in interest repayments, £40bn that could be spent in the economy
    But who is that £40bn being paid to?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    But who is that £40bn being paid to?
    **** knows. It's interest repayments on Government Debt.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    **** knows. It's interest repayments on Government Debt.
    And what form does the majority of that debt take? I.e. what does the government do when it wants to borrow money?

ReputationRep:
    If all government debt was financed by the method you are suggesting of paying back £2.7bn a year the interest repayments would be higher. There is a good online blog written by an economist over long-term government debt as a way to finance investments in infrastructure; use his plans as the plan for financing the new council houses.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.