Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oblivion99)
    You say there is no evidence, life and earth is evidence. We are in a perfect position from the sun, millitres away and we'd either burn or freeze to death? Were given all the substances to light on Earth? Its just a food for thought..
    What a load of bull crap. You shouldn't have to think for more than two seconds as to why that is nonsense you have typed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisgalkate)
    The Earths size is perfect. The Earth's size and corresponding gravity holds a thin layer of mostly nitrogen and oxygen gases, only extending about 50 miles above the Earth's surface. If Earth were smaller, an atmosphere would be impossible, like the planet Mercury. If Earth were larger, its atmosphere would contain free hydrogen, like Jupiter. Earth is the only known planet equipped with an atmosphere of the right mixture of gases to sustain plant, animal and human life.

And our moon is the perfect size and distance from the Earth for its gravitational pull. The moon creates important ocean tides and movement so ocean waters do not stagnate, and yet our massive oceans are restrained from spilling over across the continents.

Water is colorless, odorless and without taste, and yet no living thing can survive without it. Plants, animals and human beings consist mostly of water (about two-thirds of the human body is water). You'll see why the characteristics of water are uniquely suited to life:

The human brain processes more than a million messages a second. Your brain weighs the importance of all this data, filtering out the relatively unimportant. This screening function is what allows you to focus and operate effectively in your world. The brain functions differently than other organs. There is an intelligence to it, the ability to reason, to produce feelings, to dream and plan, to take action, and relate to other people.

Astrophysicist Robert Jastrow, a self-described agnostic, stated, "The seed of everything that has happened in the Universe was planted in that first instant; every star, every planet and every living creature in the Universe came into being as a result of events that were set in motion in the moment of the cosmic explosion...The Universe flashed into being, and we cannot find out what caused that to happen."
    Why do you trot out this nonsense that is patently not true? Stick to playing your PS4 or collecting stamps.

(Original post by pvaz6965)
    What a load of bull crap. You shouldn't have to think for more than two seconds as to why that is nonsense you have typed.
    Didnt you hear it was quoted by someone else which I passed onto the thread, as a "food for thought". Not that I believe in it :/

ReputationRep:
    Why do you trot out this nonsense that is patently not true? Stick to playing your PS4 or collecting stamps.
    Don't do either sorry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    I don't think there is any convincing scientific evidence for God's existence, otherwise it would be all over the news.
    http://news.yahoo.com/polish-catholi...164609894.html

ReputationRep:
    Don't do either sorry
    Well stop trotting out rubbish you don't understand. This idea the Earth or Moon or the orbits are a perfect size is utter nonsense. It doesn't stand up to the merest seconds worth of thinking.

ReputationRep:
    Well stop trotting out rubbish you don't understand. This idea the Earth or Moon or the orbits are a perfect size is utter nonsense. It doesn't stand up to the merest seconds worth of thinking.
    I don't take back anything I said. I don't know who you are or why you feel the need to express your opinion in such an aggressive way but I am not going to argue with you over something that no one can truly prove. Nice knowing you xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EC3)
    You can't compare a computer to the brain, the brain is much more powerful and is the computer is completely material substance unlike our minds.
    I can and just did, because out brain has a material component, as does a computer, and functions by sending electrical signals, as does a computer. Your thoughts are the interpretation of these electrical impulses. The difference is, and you are right, that the brain is far more complex. Electrical signalling is happening in both of the above situations. In both cases the flow of electrons send signals/information. Whether it's opening an instance of Excel or thinking to yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Is it really possible that we are just all here by chance and everything has formed all by itself? Could everything really evolved to this extent all by itself? Where did gravity come from? Where did matter come from? Consider how comparable maths and physics are, how all the elements have formed in a way that provide all the resources for life to live and evolve, how consciousness and life exists in the first place. I used to be agnostic btw but I just find the existence of the universe and us all too incredible to have happened by chance. I also just feel a real connection to my faith and, I know it's cheesy, but more in awe and 'at one' with the world. So that is basically my life view

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mangala)
    but how do you know the qu'ran is true? don't you need proof for that too
    The Qur'an is unchanged since created 1400 years ago. The smallest chapter in the Qur'an is 10 words long and has over 40 rhetorical devices used. This is excluding other aspects such as its conciseness, phonetic superiority and informativity. This is outside the capacity of humans because no book or poem has more devices etc. and therefore could be considered a miracle.

This isn't proof of its truth, but it is a factor that gives me faith to believe in God.

Some people want a simple answer to the creation of the universe but this idea is so complicated how could it have one? Is it not possible that one thing cannot be comprehended by human intelligence and logic? This is just my opinion and like someone said it does take some faith.

ReputationRep:
    I don't take back anything I said. I don't know who you are or why you feel the need to express your opinion in such an aggressive way but I am not going to argue with you over something that no one can truly prove. Nice knowing you xx
    If no one can truly "prove" then why are you trotting it out as fact?

But the actuality is that your statements can be falsified - and have been many times over the years when this idiocy is cut/pasted on message boards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viomily)
    Is it really possible that we are just all here by chance and everything has formed all by itself? Could everything really evolved to this extent all by itself? Where did gravity come from? Where did matter come from? Consider how comparable maths and physics are, how all the elements have formed in a way that provide all the resources for life to live and evolve, how consciousness and life exists in the first place. I used to be agnostic btw but I just find the existence of the universe and us all too incredible to have happened by chance. I also just feel a real connection to my faith and, I know it's cheesy, but more in awe and 'at one' with the world. So that is basically my life view
    What you are stating is an appeal from personal incredulity. Logically about as weak a premise as possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MevMev)
    ok so firstly i find it very offensive that u call me 'too lazy to think and do research" seeing as I'm a MEDICAL STUDENT and i think i have better things to do than prove my faith to u and lol u just wasted your own time on me how counterproductive
    and loooool do u think it literally means stitching with needle and thread?? :P
    Al-Qamar
    Errrrr

ReputationRep:
    I actually feel like the nature of this topic is stupid, the whole argument is fundamentally flawed, i dont believe or dis-believe in god by the way.

But, SCIENTIFIC proof that GOD exists?

If you know anything about how people perceive 'God', then you should already know that a large part of the reason people believe in him (or her) is because there is absolutely NOO scientific proof that he exists. The 'proof' to people are what we call 'miracles', things that science CANNOT explain. And these are documented cases, not just stories in the bible about a man who could touch you and make you walk again, or someone who could turn water to wine, these are real, well documented things that science cannot explain, thus, are simply dubbed 'miracles' OR for the 'non believers' - Scientific Anomalies. If God does not exist, and we are clear that some things cant be quantified and explained, what do you put 'those' kind of events down to?

The whole idea of God is that he is the higher entity that watches over us as a human race (or universe?). It would be IMPOSSIBLE to scientifically prove that he exists. Its almost like its a rhetorical question.

What proof do people genuinely expect? A picture of him sitting on heavens beaches drinking a coke?

Is there any scientific proof that life on other planets exist? There is plenty of evidence to suggest that there is, but it has not been PROVEN, and frankly it will never be PROVEN until there is 100% confirmation of extra terrestrials, either through them coming here, or through us finding them, nothing science has done can confirm that there is life out there, but who in here is really stupid enough to believe that in this whole galaxy, we are the only ones that are there?

The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence

With all that being said, if there is a God, and he is who so many people believe he is, then he is clearly not a very nice person. I hope he doesn't exist, because the day i met him i would have to ask 'why?', why so much suffering? why so much injustice? why uni fee's so high? why caitlyn jenner? just, WHY?

Anyway, like i said, this whole thing is stupid to be honest

(Original post by Al-Qamar)
    Why am i quoted on this???
    Sorry, but she/he can quote whom they wish to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leavingthecity)
    Errrrr
    By the way, that person is telling you all you need to know about most medical doctors. And that is that they have no familiarity whatsoever with the scientific method or ideas behind scientific inference. Good for prescribing aspirin and putting a broken arm in plaster but that's about it.

ReputationRep:
    I believe there is one: insanity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by viomily)
    There's a physical or mathematical explanation for all your questions, I have the same questions and that's how I get my answers. Obviously I don't have all the answers but so much of this can be explained already, it's truly amazing, human curiosity and intelligence is amazing.

You ask whether it's possible that we are here by chance. You answered yourself; if there was a chance we could be here, and we are, technically you shouldn't be surprised. Chance and probability are fascinating areas of mathematics that I need to learn more about, they certainly are at odds with many religious ideas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KungPooPanda)
    I actually feel like the nature of this topic is stupid, the whole argument is fundamentally flawed, i dont believe or dis-believe in god by the way.

But, SCIENTIFIC proof that GOD exists?

If you know anything about how people perceive 'God', then you should already know that a large part of the reason people believe in him (or her) is because there is absolutely NOO scientific proof that he exists. The 'proof' to people are what we call 'miracles', things that science CANNOT explain. And these are documented cases, not just stories in the bible about a man who could touch you and make you walk again, or someone who could turn water to wine, these are real, well documented things that science cannot explain, thus, are simply dubbed 'miracles' OR for the 'non believers' - Scientific Anomalies. If God does not exist, and we are clear that some things cant be quantified and explained, what do you put 'those' kind of events down to?

The whole idea of God is that he is the higher entity that watches over us as a human race (or universe?). It would be IMPOSSIBLE to scientifically prove that he exists. Its almost like its a rhetorical question.

What proof do people genuinely expect? A picture of him sitting on heavens beaches drinking a coke?

Is there any scientific proof that life on other planets exist? There is plenty of evidence to suggest that there is, but it has not been PROVEN, and frankly it will never be PROVEN until there is 100% confirmation of extra terrestrials, either through them coming here, or through us finding them, nothing science has done can confirm that there is life out there, but who in here is really stupid enough to believe that in this whole galaxy, we are the only ones that are there?

The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence

With all that being said, if there is a God, and he is who so many people believe he is, then he is clearly not a very nice person. I hope he doesn't exist, because the day i met him i would have to ask 'why?', why so much suffering? why so much injustice? why uni fee's so high? why caitlyn jenner? just, WHY?

Anyway, like i said, this whole thing is stupid to be honest
    Why Caitlyn Jenner made me laugh, it shouldn't have I guess.

What I'd want is proof of intervention, proof that he sometimes has dealings with us, proof that he has a finger on some scale. I see nothing of the sort.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leavingthecity)
    Errrrr
    yeah don't call me lazy- its not nice

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 13, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.