Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Is there anyone who could have a look at my story and give me feedback, please? I left school on Friday with my teacher saying write a new story; little did I know that I will not be able to go and see her about my new story. My exam is next Tuesday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1macksam)
    Is there anyone who could have a look at my story and give me feedback, please? I left school on Friday with my teacher saying write a new story; little did I know that I will not be able to go and see her about my new story. My exam is next Tuesday.
    Sure! Send your story to us.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TracyEmu)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you.
    I've sent you the message!

ReputationRep:
    When writing a report, can you write in first person (in the intro) or not, as I've heard different opinions from two different sources!😊😅

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophFlorence)
    When writing a report, can you write in first person (in the intro) or not, as I've heard different opinions from two different sources!😊😅

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My teacher, who is an examiner, said that writing in first person in a report is the worst thing ever. I wrote one, 'I believe' in a mock and she went wild.😂😂 Talk in a posh and boring way, 'One could'. I am doing WJEC, but a report is a report, so, it shouldn't change over exam boards. All the best. 😆

ReputationRep:
    My teacher, who is an examiner, said that writing in first person in a report is the worst thing ever. I wrote one, 'I believe' in a mock and she went wild.😂😂 Talk in a posh and boring way, 'One could'. I am doing WJEC, but a report is a report, so, it shouldn't change over exam boards. All the best. 😆
    Great advice! I hope to remember that in the exam!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Thanks SO much! I didn't think you could, but thought I'd clarify anyway! 😃 I hope a report doesn't come up; I suck at writing them!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks SO much! I didn't think you could, but thought I'd clarify anyway! 😃 I hope a report doesn't come up; I suck at writing them!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No problem. I got 59/60 in that exam, so if you need any help, you're more than welcome to ask!😊

What exam board are you doing the non-fiction exam with (I think that's the exam where they can ask you to do one of the 6 types of writing; speech, leaflet, report, informal letter, formal letter and a review) ?

ReputationRep:
    Wow, that's amazing; well done! I'm with the Welsh board, too.

Thank you. It's mainly the reports I struggle with to be honest; I'm much better at being lively and cheesy Have you any tips for when writing a report? Thanks!😃

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Did you get it? I made this account in 2014 and as of yesterday, I have been using it; so, I am a bit uneducated. 😂

ReputationRep:
    Wow, that's amazing; well done! I'm with the Welsh board, too.

Thank you. It's mainly the reports I struggle with to be honest; I'm much better at being lively and cheesy Have you any tips for when writing a report? Thanks!😃

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you! I was so shocked. I am the same as you; I am better with reviews where I can get a bit jokey and cheesy!

My teacher gave me a sheet of A* tips for each non-fiction type, as for report, this is what it says;

- Avoid using first person. Instead write impersonally. Start with, 'This report will consider'. Use phrases such as, 'It has been suggested that...' and 'One could...'

- Keep titles clear and simple, 'A report on...'

- Organise ideas using sub-headings; Introduction, Positive Outcomes, Negative Outcomes, Conclusions and Recommendations.

Hope that helps. 😊

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! I was so shocked. I am the same as you; I am better with reviews where I can get a bit jokey and cheesy!

My teacher gave me a sheet of A* tips for each non-fiction type, as for report, this is what it says;

- Avoid using first person. Instead write impersonally. Start with, 'This report will consider'. Use phrases such as, 'It has been suggested that...' and 'One could...'

- Keep titles clear and simple, 'A report on...'

- Organise ideas using sub-headings; Introduction, Positive Outcomes, Negative Outcomes, Conclusions and Recommendations.

Hope that helps. 😊
    Yep, cheese all the way🧀😂

Wow, fantastic tips; thank you SO, SO much! I've screenshot them so I can look at them later. I'm currently about to write an article as part of my revision( report will follow) agh!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Also, always give case studies in your non-fiction; make it up! For a review, if your question is

Write a report on work experience conducted by pupils at your High School to the Head Teacher.

Introduction (I use 'aims')

This report will outline the benefits and drawbacks of work experience week undertaken by Year 11 pupils at ____ High School.

Benefits of work experience

Don't use any conversational phrases like, 'It goes without saying that'. Be straight to the point.

A case study could be;
    One pupil proclaims that by going on a placement in a local Primary School enhanced their skills: understanding the commitments of the job, how to correctly respond to questions that a child may ask and what to do if an emergency arises.

Drawbacks of work experience

Conclusion

Recommendations

Hope this plan helps.

ReputationRep:
    Also, always give case studies in your non-fiction; make it up! For a review, if your question is

Write a report on work experience conducted by pupils at your High School to the Head Teacher.

Introduction (I use 'aims')

This report will outline the benefits and drawbacks of work experience week undertaken by Year 11 pupils at ____ High School.

Benefits of work experience

Don't use any conversational phrases like, 'It goes without saying that'. Be straight to the point.

A case study could be;
    One pupil proclaims that by going on a placement in a local Primary School enhanced their skills: understanding the commitments of the job, how to correctly respond to questions that a child may ask and what to do if an emergency arises.

Drawbacks of work experience

Conclusion

Recommendations

Hope this plan helps.
    That really has helped a bunch! Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You're welcome 😊

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You need to write in an impersonal tone. Instead of writing "I have carried out a report into..." you should write "a report has been carried out..."
    Instead of writing "my findings are that..." you should write "it has been found out that..."

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rebbarn29)
    You need to write in an impersonal tone. Instead of writing "I have carried out a report into..." you should write "a report has been carried out..."
    Instead of writing "my findings are that..." you should write "it has been found out that..."

Hope this helps
    That's correct!

ReputationRep:
    What are your predictions on the English language unit 2 writing exam questions?

ReputationRep:
    That's correct!
    predictions on the English language unit 2 writing exam questions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Luke59)
    predictions on the English language unit 2 writing exam questions?
    A formal Report
    A informal/formal Letter

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.