Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Petition calling for 2nd Referendum - and write to your MP Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Desi123)
    Oh, the irony.

Your sentence is similar to saying "uneducated stupids". You mean "ignoramuses".
    I made a typo 🙄 Jesus

(Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Well, wait to see how the 'uneducated ignorants' respond to being overruled days after having their say.

The least grave scenario is UKIP absolutely dominating the north and the midlands in the next GE.
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    Remain campaign in a nutshell. And you wonder why Leave won....
    No. I think there are plenty of Remain voters who shouldn't have been allowed to vote either. There are too many people who have no idea what they've voted for. Read my response here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...9#post66102009

ReputationRep:
    17 million as a percentage of 44 million which is about 38% of eligible voters - MOST ELIGIBLE VOTERS DID NOT VOTE TO LEAVE

For DEMOCRACY the leave side really needed to get 50.01% of eligible voters

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Then Norway is foolish. We don't need access to the single market, and I hope we don't pay anything to get it. A simple request for free trade, with WTO terms if we don't would suffice.

If tariffs are imposed on us then we should reciprocate. W"e are net importers from the EU, so EU countries would suffer far more in a tariff exchange.
    The EU does not need the UK as much as you'd like to think. The UK is fairly irrelevant without the EU in my opinion. Perhaps in 1916 you had an argument, but its 100 years down the line now. You disagree, I know, so no need to come back with Donald Trump style rhetoric about how great England is etc, so lets just agree to disagree. I'm fed up arguing about this whole thing now tbh. I've got an Irish passport, I am and always will be a citizen of Europe so long as it exists, and the way things are shaping up, it should exist longer than the UK will as we know it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexion)
    a) we haven't left yet.
    b) the EU is the countries within it, so that doesn't make sense.

Some nice grammar in there btw :cute:

Oh, and the Leave camp are fine ones to talk about 'copying what everyone else says'...
    would have been nice to hear some counter arguments rather than irrelevant grammar nazi comments. democracy shows people disagree with you, get over it. We aren't returning to the EU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gro)
    would have been nice to hear some counter arguments rather than irrelevant grammar nazi comments. democracy shows people disagree with you, get over it. We aren't returning to the EU.
    I made 4 points, one was on grammar :cute: your point about making counter arguments is 100% hypocritical, well done.

ReputationRep:
    There are 500 MPs, 400 are pro-EU.
    There will be no Brexit from London or Scottish MPs that is a certainity.

The other MPs might be a mix bag - but will they get a majority without an election?
    I doubt it.

You are being childish because you are refusing to admit the problem you are in.

I am fighting until the ink is dry and nothing else can be done.
    We are MILES away from that point.

ReputationRep:
    It would be IMMORAL and ANTI-DEMOCRATIC if any of those 400 PRO-EU MPs voted out without having an ELECTION first.

People voted for them thinking, in part that they were Pro-EU.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-36626004

ReputationRep:
    Voters in Sheffield voting for Brexit but did not believe it would actually happen

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_...lines/36630879

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FredOrJohn)
    17 million as a percentage of 44 million which is about 38% of eligible voters - MOST ELIGIBLE VOTERS DID NOT VOTE TO LEAVE

Voting is not compulsory. In a free and democratic society you have every right not to exercise your right to vote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shreddingfish92)
    Voting is not compulsory. In a free and democratic society you have every right not to exercise your right to vote.
    It needed 50% of eligible voters to get Scottish parliament.

ReputationRep:
    People dont understand what a democracy is. We are leaving! Accept it or **** off to a dictatorship like China

ReputationRep:
    Voters in Sheffield voting for Brexit but did not believe it would actually happen

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_...lines/36630879
    Wow I take it there will be no more Spanish cherries.

ReputationRep:
    Shame on everyone signing this petition.

I'm 18 years old and I voted Leave, as did more than 17 million other people, the biggest vote for any cause or party since the introduction of universal suffrage. Our votes will not be ignored or erased, certainly not by some whiny Remainers signing a petition.

There were and are respectable differences of opinion about Brexit, but I have no respect for those who only like democracy when it goes their way. The reaction among a significant section of Remainers to the will of the people is disturbing. The bile and bigotry directed at Leave voters - supposedly, we are all racist, bigoted, xenophobic, uneducated, gullible, old, intolerant - is shocking from people who see themselves as supposedly enlightened and tolerant.

ReputationRep:

Clinging to everything you possibly can to say the didn't win, accept facts remain lost.

ReputationRep:
    Read this.
    https://global.handelsblatt.com/edit...et-brexit-plan

ReputationRep:

Most eligible voters did not vote to Remain either, so what?

No government or referendum in the history of this country has ever got 50%+1 of the popular vote. Ever. I think the highest may have been Scottish independence where No got about 42% of eligible voters. Under your definition, there has never been any democracy in the UK.

And why should those who couldn't be bothered to cast a vote have any say in the outcome? Non-voters should not be counted as a Remain vote, they are not a vote at all. The 28% of non-voters had a chance and simply choose not to express a view. These peoples non-votes should not affect in any way those of us who did vote.

ReputationRep:
    A song for all of the remain voters.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj3M...&feature=share

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Et Tu, Brute?)
    right, because there was no fear and name calling on the leave side.

You are deluded to think that both sides were not equally as bad, at least the 'fear' that the remain side have talked about was actually accurate and backed up by reputable economists etc. Leave on the other hand was much more of a propaganda campaign that resembled Nazi Germany more than the UK, it really did make me sick that so many just goebbeled it up as fact. In fact now that I think about it, leave side was definitely worse than remain, yet they won, so no, name calling and fear had nothing to do with the remain side loss.

The main reason, in my opinion, was an unrepresented class who simply had no idea what they were even doing were given a say in something they knew nothing about. Little Englanders played apart also, but it was those who didn't usually vote in anything that won it. Funny thing is, it is those same people who will pay the price for it, sadly they are making us pay for it also.

Just to avoid opening a whole new can of worms, I'm not for one second saying everything the remain camp said was true/will come true.
    Cant ait to see George Osbournes emergency budget and Camerons predictions all come true. Even know the establishment commentators are saying the pound and stock market have crashed and the economy is burning. The Leave side were tarred as thick old ignorant racists while the remain side infiltrated schools with pretty pictures and lies about how the EU kept the peace and helped everyone Those young people are the ones throwing eggs at the elderly because they were brainwashed by the EU Seriously sad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    There is a petition calling for a 2nd Referendum.

It's so popular it's crashing the gov site
    => https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

Press article: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7099996.html

Edit to add: Over 2.2 million signatures.
    This is now the most signed UK petition ever. By far.

86% of signatories are in the UK. The rest are UK citizens living abroad.
    it's fake, completely fake

https://i.sli.mg/maIlEH.png

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.