Year 13 Maths Help Thread

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B_9710)
    Yeah I would try easier questions first if I were you. Paper 1 2007 seems to be quite easy (relative).
    I also heard that the gentlest possible introduction to STEP is STEP I 1994.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by youreanutter)
    What resources can i use to revise and selfteach s3
    Nothing in particular.. the stats book has it all. They were all I used for all of my modules, including S3 and S4.

ReputationRep:
    Q6. Guys the perimeter part of the question. I dont know how to do it
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coolsul98)
    You can calculate the perimeter using trig, subtraction and the fact that l=r(theta) for an arc of a circle

You can calculate the area with subtraction, for a triangle A = (1/2)ab and the fact that A=(1/2)r^2(theta) for a sector of a circle

ReputationRep:
    arclegnth is r\theta where \theta is the angle AOB. Then using trig (sin cos or tan) you can find the length AC once you know OA. Since cos(pi/3) = adjacet/hyp. Then you can find CB andn add all this up to find the perimeter.

ReputationRep:
    got it thanks

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I would try easier questions first if I were you. Paper 1 2007 seems to be quite easy (relative).
    I can gladly submit to you STEP I 1994 Q2 and Q7 for marking if you wish .

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any ways on how to approach Vectors?

ReputationRep:
    Any tips on vectors. finding it really confusing
    What sort of tips are you hoping for? What do you find confusing?

ReputationRep:
    As in how to approach it

ReputationRep:
    Any tips on vectors. finding it really confusing
    Visualising them helped me, but I guess that comes from the fact that I did FP4 where vectors go crazy. It helps to understand where the formulae come from and why they work and when they don't work.

ReputationRep:
    Hi folks! Just found this thread!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any ways on how to approach Vectors?
    Draw a clear diagram and put all the relevant information that you're given on the diagram. It can really help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blake Jones)
    Hi folks! Just found this thread!
    Welcome.

ReputationRep:
    Why did they change cos2pi/5 to cos-2pi/5 like im noy sure if to change sintheta to -sin-theta u must use costheta=cos-theta at the same time but if thats not true what is the rrason for changing costheta to a negative im unsure why it was done and if it was neccesary or not
    Fp2 complez number question
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by youreanutter)
    Why did they change cos2pi/5 to cos-2pi/5 like im noy sure if to change sintheta to -sin-theta u must use costheta=cos-theta at the same time but if thats not true what is the rrason for changing costheta to a negative im unsure why it was done and if it was neccesary or not
    Fp2 complez number question
    You want a complex number in the form  r(cos \theta \mathbf{+} i\sin \theta ) .

ReputationRep:
    You want a complex number in the form  r(cos \theta \mathbf{+} i\sin \theta ) .
    oh thanks i see

ReputationRep:
    When finding exact values, how can you work out whether something is negative without using a CAST diagram?

An example being on this video at 8:38

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    When finding exact values, how can you work out whether something is negative without using a CAST diagram?

You just have to know which trig functions are positive and negative in a given interval. Like you just know that for  0\leq x <\pi /2 ,\ \cos x is positive and for  \pi /2 < x \leq  \pi, \ \cos x is negative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)

After getting 90+ UMS in both C3 and C4, this is the first time I ever hear of this quadrant rule lol...

Does it even matter? I can't think of an example where it would as long as you correctly work out sine and cosine of each angle correctly.

The only thing I can think of from your question is that sine is negative for 180-360. And cos is positive for 0-90, 270-360, and negative for 90-270.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 9, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read here first

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.