I'm Wonderful and I'm Single Society XXIX (IWAISS 29)

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am coming up to my 30th birthday and have been single for two months now, pitying eyes can swivel my way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Momma's Kumquat)
    Ugh, yeah I have to say it irks me when almost everyone around me, including my own family, thinks that I'm lonely because I'm alone. My brother has been with his gf for about 5 years now, and at every family event people seem puzzled by my lack of enthusiasm for getting a girlfriend and cohabitating, getting married and or having kids.

I'd certainly say I haven't met anybody that I'd change my current status for, and I'm in no hurry. I guess I'm kinda lucky, as a bloke, that I have this luxury. I could start a family in 15+ years' time and it wouldn't be much of an issue. For a lot of girls around my age (27), they feel like their time is running out, which is kinda true given fertility.

On your last point, it's not so stressful but if there's one thing I have learned for next time, it's that you have to set your principles/ boundaries/ potential friction points early on in a relationship and stick by them. If certain things bother you about someone and vice versa, you have to nip it in the bud.

Example, a friend of mine said he was quitting smoking. Met a girl who hated smoking, and she said "it's me or the [email protected]" (warning sign, really, but I digress). He relented, and quit for about a month. Hid it from her for the next two years. So much hassle and numerous white lies for what?

One thing that I will certainly do, should I embark upon another serious relationship, is downplay my feelings for previous girlfriends. I find that if a girl gets the impression you had something special with someone other than her, it will start a cycle of jealousy that will never go away, even if, in my mind, the past is the past.

Still, I'll say to those single pringles looking for love: good luck on your journey. But please, make sure you appreciate and love yourself and your own company before your find someone. I'm no expert by any means, but I see so many people out there who make the mistake of getting to relationships before they've sorted their own heads / lives out.

IMO you should be able to feel a strong sense of contentment / happiness whether you have a partner or not. I have a couple of close friends who're particularly unhappy right now, whose getting into a relationship in an attempt to cover the general insecurities has only exacerbated them and caused toxicity.

Wow, this thread brings out my inner chatterbox. Sorry if anyone feels like I'm chatting too much. Few of those around me are on my wavelength, so it's nice to find this thread!
    It's nice to read your thoughts, I don't think you were going on at all. I completely agree with the whole "love yourself" idea before starting a relationship. This relationship that I nearly had (the one I was discussing with someone else above) was probably spurred on by the fact that I had a confidence boost at the time, which strengthened our friendship, boosting her confidence, making our relationship stronger and so on. So it's like these feelings of self are amplified in a relationship (good or bad, like your example).

So anyway, I agree with what you're saying and agree with your points too. And again it's admirable that you stick to your beliefs and wishes to happily stay single when questioned, and that you've made yourself happy to be single in the first place. I'd like to find happiness in a relationship, but I know that I need to work on myself again before doing this, and that (from what I've seen) it's a waste of time to search for a relationship actively.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LDS16)
    :rofl:
    Before the 8 months though relationships haven't been great (never really long term, nor any serious commitments, I was also younger then). The only good chance when I was properly in love was f**ked up by some so-called "friends"
    Still, I learnt to trust myself not other people's opinions when it comes to that stuff, it's still sad that I probably missed my only chance of a relationship ever, and it was such a good friendship beforehand :emo:
    Now look what ya done Cheese, you got me blubbing!

wow, so deep!
    Lol at least u've ever had a relationship, shall I just say, I'm not one with these things :erm:

Spoiler:
    Show
    well i'm sorry, you didnt have to reply :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheeseIsVeg)

wow, so deep!
    Lol at least u've ever had a relationship, shall I just say, I'm not one with these things :erm:

Spoiler:
    Show
    well i'm sorry, you didnt have to reply :lol:
    Well that makes two of us, the only time I get attention is when people don't know me maybe I'll be getting all the gals at college though :rofl2: jk

I got TSR and Netflix though, not bad going!
    Oh and Spotify #bae :fan:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LDS16)
    Well that makes two of us, the only time I get attention is when people don't know me maybe I'll be getting all the gals at college though :rofl2: jk
    I got TSR and Netflix though, not bad going!
    Oh and Spotify #bae :fan:
    :five: lol #CanRel8
    :rofl: i hope u do (cos i don't attract any people apart from flies cos i smell at college :erm:):lol: i have tsr umm and umm email........ (yh gonna get those bois with my sassy email address :rofl:):rofl: I have deezer so touche Monsieur!

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: i hope u do (cos i don't attract any people apart from flies cos i smell at college :erm:):lol: i have tsr umm and umm email........ (yh gonna get those bois with my sassy email address :rofl:):rofl: I have deezer so touche Monsieur!

I don't know why, but I found this funny. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SassKing13)
    [/b]

I don't know why, but I found this funny. :lol:
    idk why u r findin it funny
    its 100% gonna bring em to the yard
    cos there like [email protected] is such a dank email address

ReputationRep:
    I can relate too haha, TSR, text, email and VSCO (hipster photography app, not really social at all though). I tried Deezer, we just didn't get on as me and Spotz :/

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LDS16)
    I can relate too haha, TSR, text, email and VSCO (hipster photography app, not really social at all though). I tried Deezer, we just didn't get on as me and Spotz :/
    deezer = bae

:rofl: :rofl:

:fan: this moment
    this moment is everything :adore:

ReputationRep:
    deezer = bae

:fan: this moment
    this moment is everything :adore:
    Your joke was everything Cheese.

Well done.

ReputationRep:
    Your joke was everything Cheese.

Well done.

really :shock:
    ok :fan:thank you

ReputationRep:
    really :shock:
    ok :fan:thank you
    :lol:

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: deezer = bae:fan: this momentthis moment is everything :adore:

Name:  1470948530619788399706.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  359.2 KB
    When bae gives you that look <3

ReputationRep:
    anyone wanna sit the GMAT for me? :sigh: :cry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LDS16)
    Name:  1470948530619788399706.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  359.2 KB
    When bae gives you that look <3
    Spoiler:
    Show
    ive never had a bae to gimme a look tho :I

(Original post by sleepinglions)
    anyone wanna sit the GMAT for me? :sigh: :cry:
    :erm:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    ok
    for an infinite supply of cookies :mwuaha:

ReputationRep:
    omg, soz I just need to rant.

Literally the most emotional, stressful, frustrating and annoying evening I've had in so long You know when you just want to complain and moan at someone until you just burst into tears and let it all out?

This week off work is going to be bliss.

ReputationRep:

:erm:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    ok
    for an infinite supply of cookies :mwuaha:
    Not even an infinite supply of cookies would encourage anyone to sit this deadly exam

Genuinely feel like giving up this idea of doing a masters... :moon:

I need my life coach/mentor so bad rn.

ReputationRep:
    Not even an infinite supply of cookies would encourage anyone to sit this deadly exam

Genuinely feel like giving up this idea of doing a masters... :moon:

I need my life coach/mentor so bad rn.
    :erm: I would take it :rofl:
    noo dont! You can do it! Look how far you have come! I believe in you (not just bc cookies :innocent: :yep:)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I can be your temporary mentor

Literally the most emotional, stressful, frustrating and annoying evening I've had in so long You know when you just want to complain and moan at someone until you just burst into tears and let it all out?

rant out, it'll help u m8
    :console: yh i get u!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Use it wisely :yep::mmm:

ReputationRep:

You okay? :console:

Yeah I feel ya, hate those kind of days. Rant away, that's what we're here for and it'll make you feel better fo'sure!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: January 12, 2017
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
What is your favourite day of the week
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.