If you're looking for a new mobile phone/tariff please look here first!! Watch

mr who
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Did you hear about the great new social network LIFESTER that helps you make the most of your bussines and private life .Through INTENTIONS you can see what your friends are doing at the moment,what their plans are,and join them in any intention you want to.LOCATIONS show you places they are checked in.The new thing is the 10 mile radius search,you will see your friends based on your location from the nearest to the farest.Metting new people has never been easier,check the app and you will see what I am talking about.You can modify the network as you want to.Like a private social network between your closest friends. If you want to invite someone they have the INVITATIONS that shortens your arrange details.I have made a profile on the network,at first I was sceptic but after I saw all the new things it has I was thrilled.I invited all of my friends to start using it and since then we have no problems whatsoever.Arranging partys,studying or any group or individual activities has become really easy so we have a lot more time for other things.I would reccomend everyone to download this great app and find out all of the great things it has brought.
xDave-
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Anyone got any thoughts on 3 Mobile's 3 2 1 Pay and Go price plan? I never text or call, but I use a shedload of data. Well, a very small shed. I currently have some tariff with O2 where I get 500MB of data free for 31 days per £15 top up, but 3's plan offers 1p per 1MB of data, so it seems better in the long run. I never actually use up the 500Mb, so for £5 I'd use that over about two months and then wouldn't have to spent my £15 credit paying £1 a day for data, as I do currently on O2. 3's tariff seems miles better, what's the catch?
xxdevilish_me
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I agree with rugbyladosc. Giffgaff IS great. No contract, uses O2 signal.
thepaw
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hello

Pretty random post which I'm sure will get no response but it's worth a shot. Basically the short story is my girlfriend has moved back to the United States indefinitely and has 9 months left on her Three Mobile Phone contract. It's possible to transfer the contract over to someone who is willing to take it, but it's proving eminently impossible to get someone to take the contract. Basic details:

Comes with a Blackberry 9320 (boo I know)
£23 a month, 1000 minutes, 5000 texts, unlimited data. Contract runs to July 2014 and you'd be eligible for an upgrade a couple of months earlier.

It's good if wanted to keep your current phone and take the contract, sell the Blackberry handset (goes for 65-75 on eBay) and use that money to pay for 2-3 months of the contract and then wait it out til your upgrade.

You're in the country for only 9 months (international students?) and need a cheap phone contract.

Or you're in the market for a SIM only deal - which has the benefit of an upgrade at the end of the contract.

If you're interested - please PM me. Apologies to the TSR staff in advance if I have flouted any rules on advertising, but I last posted in 2011!
Jim-Jam
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Upgrading to a new phone soon but I'm really struggling to decide between a Galaxy S4 and an iPhone. Never had an iPhone but I've had an iPod/iTunes for years so am set up pretty well for the music/apps plus it'd mean I don't carry around an iPod and a phone like I do now. Plus not sure if I like iOS7. To be honest though I hate the look of the iPhone 5. The 4 was amazing in comparison, far too long and thin!

However the Galaxy S4 just seems so much better, it has some great features and seems like pretty much the best phone out there, despite the iPhone 5s/c being released. Is it true about the Galaxy 5 being released January next year though? Because if I upgrade to a new 2 year contract halfway through November (Contract ending December) Yeah, I'll be annoyed then!
Ireland6
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Anyone had experience of Virgin? was thinking of getting their deal where you get unlimited everything on a 30 day contract for £15. seems good
Hugs31
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This Christmas will mark my first foray into smartphones (after ten years of reliable old Nokia's). I've never used a touch screen phone before so I'm going for a 'budget' smartphone (also because I don't really want the biggest and best). The three I've got written down are the Nokia Lumia 625, Sony Xperia M and the HTC Desire 500. I've also only ever been on PAYG (but have been on a monthly top up).

I picked what I thought was the best tariff for each of those three to help me decide which one to go for because they're fairly similar in terms of their specs (only looking for a tariff less than £25 a month)

Nokia Lumia 625 (1000 mins, Unlimited texts, 500MB, EE, £18.99 per month, 4G)
Sony Xperia M (300 mins, Unlimited texts, 500MB, O2, £17 per month, 3G)
HTC Desire 500 (600 mins, Unlimited texts, 500MB, Vodafone, £21 per month, 3G)

Thoughts?
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Hugs31)
This Christmas will mark my first foray into smartphones (after ten years of reliable old Nokia's). I've never used a touch screen phone before so I'm going for a 'budget' smartphone (also because I don't really want the biggest and best). The three I've got written down are the Nokia Lumia 625, Sony Xperia M and the HTC Desire 500. I've also only ever been on PAYG (but have been on a monthly top up).

I picked what I thought was the best tariff for each of those three to help me decide which one to go for because they're fairly similar in terms of their specs (only looking for a tariff less than £25 a month)

Thoughts?
Two thoughts.

1) I have the Lumia 920 and highly recommend the lumia range, the only bad thing is the poor battery

2) You'd be better off saving a sufficient amount of cash to buy the handset and then get a stupidly cheap sim-only plan, it's cheaper over the two year contract life of a normal contract
Hugs31
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Two thoughts.

1) I have the Lumia 920 and highly recommend the lumia range, the only bad thing is the poor battery

2) You'd be better off saving a sufficient amount of cash to buy the handset and then get a stupidly cheap sim-only plan, it's cheaper over the two year contract life of a normal contract
I see your point. I did a calculation for the Lumia 625 which the Carephone Warehouse priced at £129 and a £10 SIM and it came to £80 cheaper but at the expense of not that much in terms of minutes, texts or data. The other two would also be more expensive on PAYG. The £18.99 PM contract was the best 4G deal of any phone.
St. Brynjar
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Two thoughts.

+1 for Lumia 920. Best phone I've ever had.
BobLoblawLawBlog
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Thoughts?
I would also consider the Moto G: http://www.phones4u.co.uk/shop/shop_...ing_15-11-2013

I would probably buy this phone on PAYG, unlock it (you can do this for about £2) and then go with ovivo: http://www.ovivomobile.com/

With this you pay a one off fee of £20, but £15 of that goes onto your phone as credit. You also get 200 mins, 300 texts and 500mb of internet for free every month (so its like a contract, but you don't pay anything each month). The only problem would be if you think you would use more texts/ mins. But even then, i don't think they're too expensive.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I see your point. I did a calculation for the Lumia 625 which the Carephone Warehouse priced at £129 and a £10 SIM and it came to £80 cheaper but at the expense of not that much in terms of minutes, texts or data. The other two would also be more expensive on PAYG. The £18.99 PM contract was the best 4G deal of any phone.
Indeed and for that ~£80 if you shop around you can match your contract offers. A £10 sim only plan from 3 gives you 600 minutes, 5000 texts (unlimited since unlimited contracts have "fair usage" allowances) and 1GB internet.

http://store.three.co.uk/SIM_Only/Vo...pe=PAY_MONTHLY

Hell for £15 you get 2000 minutes, 5000 texts and unlimited data which beats all other offers costs you £360 over 2 years. Compare this to say a £42 O2 plan for SGS or IP which costs £1000 over 2 years.
Hugs31
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Indeed and for that ~£80 if you shop around you can match your contract offers. A £10 sim only plan from 3 gives you 600 minutes, 5000 texts (unlimited since unlimited contracts have "fair usage" allowances) and 1GB internet.

http://store.three.co.uk/SIM_Only/Vo...pe=PAY_MONTHLY

Hell for £15 you get 2000 minutes, 5000 texts and unlimited data which beats all other offers costs you £360 over 2 years. Compare this to say a £42 O2 plan for SGS or IP which costs £1000 over 2 years.
(Original post by brittanna)
I would also consider the Moto G: http://www.phones4u.co.uk/shop/shop_...ing_15-11-2013

I would probably buy this phone on PAYG, unlock it (you can do this for about £2) and then go with ovivo: http://www.ovivomobile.com/

With this you pay a one off fee of £20, but £15 of that goes onto your phone as credit. You also get 200 mins, 300 texts and 500mb of internet for free every month (so its like a contract, but you don't pay anything each month). The only problem would be if you think you would use more texts/ mins. But even then, i don't think they're too expensive.
Was only aware of the Motorola RAZR i (in their smartphone fleet) so the Moto GP is their entry into the budget smartphone market. An excellent bargain actually given the specs of the phone. I'd be really tempted by this, my only quibble is about there being no micro SD slot, the 16GB is the same price as the Lumia 625.

The Lumia 625 might be of more benefit to me personally because it has an FFC for Skype, easy access to OneNote and Office with the Windows 8 OS. The maps on Nokia are really good as well (unless Android phones use Google maps for the GPS? or would Motorola use their own maps?). O2 also offers £20 to spend in the app store and £20 vouchers if you buy the Lumia 625 for Christmas which my friend jokingly said would buy the whole of the Windows app store (an Android owner himself).
camaieu
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
This has probably been asked loads of times before...but what are your thoughts on the iPhone 5S vs Samsung Galaxy S4? I'm leaning towards the former at the moment - I really like iOS7, and I've never had any issues with Apple products in the past. My mum has an S4 and loves it, but I'm not particularly fussed on the interface. The problem is that I'd have to pay £150 upfront for the iPhone on top of the contract, and I wanted to know if you guys thought that this would be worth it for the phone?

I only really use my phone for making and receiving calls/texting/emailing/Facebook/Candy Crush ()/general app-ing.
SHABANA
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I have a decent sim-contract on my Blackberry. I am wanting to get a new BB handset and I don't know which would be better out of the Q5 or the Z10. My budget is £200 and I don't want the Q10. Both phones seem to have the features I want but which one is better overall? Price-wise they are both similar at around £180 for the handset. At the moment I have an old curve and I do love having the actual physical keypad rather than all touch-screen but I also want fast browsing. I only really use my phone for receiving e-mails and browsing. My sim-contract is £10 which has unlimited texts, 300 minds and unlimited BB web which is why I want the BB handset.
Nikhil123
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SHABANA)
I have a decent sim-contract on my Blackberry. I am wanting to get a new BB handset and I don't know which would be better out of the Q5 or the Z10. My budget is £200 and I don't want the Q10. Both phones seem to have the features I want but which one is better overall? Price-wise they are both similar at around £180 for the handset. At the moment I have an old curve and I do love having the actual physical keypad rather than all touch-screen but I also want fast browsing. I only really use my phone for receiving e-mails and browsing. My sim-contract is £10 which has unlimited texts, 300 minds and unlimited BB web which is why I want the BB handset.
You mentioned that you have a BB web contract suggesting that this is for blackberry Internet service (for security) which is on blackberry 7 and I'm pretty sure this is not supported on BB10 which is on the q5 and z10. I think this means you wouldn't be able to use Internet on your new blackberry with your current contract so you would have to change it to a regular one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
SHABANA
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Nikhil123)
You mentioned that you have a BB web contract suggesting that this is for blackberry Internet service (for security) which is on blackberry 7 and I'm pretty sure this is not supported on BB10 which is on the q5 and z10. I think this means you wouldn't be able to use Internet on your new blackberry with your current contract so you would have to change it to a regular one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I just bought the phone yesterday - I believe I am still getting unlimited web but if I wanted it on 4G I would have to go on a different tariff as this is using 3G. This is still fast enough for anything that I want to use it for.
Nikhil123
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SHABANA)
I just bought the phone yesterday - I believe I am still getting unlimited web but if I wanted it on 4G I would have to go on a different tariff as this is using 3G. This is still fast enough for anything that I want to use it for.
Which one did you get?
SHABANA
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Nikhil123)
Which one did you get?
z10
Nathan11111
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The deal I got was good I found a simple comparison site called oursecretstyle.com got a 5C in white! Found a fix for my wife's iPhone 4s wifi greyed out problem
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (140)
46.51%
Pro-humanity (161)
53.49%

Watched Threads