University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    A bit random but is anyone here going to this?

https://www.alumni.cam.ac.uk/events/...bridge-event-0

ReputationRep:
    Wait if you are a noob and you want to try out rowing do you have to start at 5 am. Or can you try it out a couple times at a humane hour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Protoxylic)
    Nah didn't even try bumps, which I regret. I just couldn't keep up with getting up at 5-5:30 and I preferred going out over rowing the next day tbf. A friend of mine rowed up until lent bumps and she just couldn't keep up after that, she wanted to go out more, which is understandable.
    Just to ask, since you seem to have some rowing experience, what kind of skills are needed to be a good cox? The only thing I know about them is that they need to be small and light, which doesn't seem to be a skill per se Do college coxes usually have previous experience with rowing as a sport?

ReputationRep:
    Nah didn't even try bumps, which I regret. I just couldn't keep up with getting up at 5-5:30 and I preferred going out over rowing the next day tbf. A friend of mine rowed up until lent bumps and she just couldn't keep up after that, she wanted to go out more, which is understandable.
    Well, some of my daughter's friends were like that, not necessarily for going out, but just early mornings out them off and wanted to concentrate on their worlk, etc.
    Several of them came back to row in the final year, for a memory of Cambridge, I guess. It was just for second or third boat (less practice) but they all really enjoyed it.
    So maybe ???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eniet)
    Just to ask, since you seem to have some rowing experience, what kind of skills are needed to be a good cox? The only thing I know about them is that they need to be small and light, which doesn't seem to be a skill per se Do college coxes usually have previous experience with rowing as a sport?
    To race on rhe Cam, which is narrow and winding, the cox' skill of steering is crucial, especially in Bumps where 17 boats row at the same time per a division, chasing each other.
    Beat boat race in the whole world.

Edit:
    But even for a standard regatta (race on straight line), cox has a very important role; pacing the whole race, keeping the tempo, depending upon how his rowers are doing and how other boats are doing vs them.
    My daughter said it's often the voice (cheering/instruction, etc) of cox that keep the rowers going when it gets really hard towards the end of race, both physically and mentally. They can't row without a cox.

No, large majority of coxes or rowers for college rowing never had experience before they come to Cambridge.
    And the college rowing is much bigger than CUBC rowing (= represent university, like in Oxbridge boat race)
    Nobody talks about Oxbridge boat race until just before/after the day of race.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanW97)
    Engineering! I wouldn't be able to handle those Saturday lectures At least, I don't think engineers have those...
    I'm trying not to think about Saturday lectures and currently enjoying Saturday mornings in bed whilst it lasts 😀

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eniet)
    Trust me, I'm not really the guy to ask. I went rowing for a term and a bit. For a cox I guess if you're just starting out, please be loud and also keep an eye on your rowers. Your rowers will generally give you feedback. Yeah coxes generally need to be light as they're at the front of the boat. Nope, if you're starting out on W3/M3, coxes tend to be new to the sport as are a few of the rowers starting out in the 3rd div. Rowers starting out on the 2nd/1st div are those who have quite a bit of experience.
    (Original post by vincrows)
    Well, some of my daughter's friends were like that, not necessarily for going out, but just early mornings out them off and wanted to concentrate on their worlk, etc.
    Several of them came back to row in the final year, for a memory of Cambridge, I guess. It was just for second or third boat (less practice) but they all really enjoyed it.
    So maybe ???
    Yeah that seems like a good idea, idk, I just hate being tired, I need to concentrate otherwise the day just goes to **** lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C0balt)
    I'm trying not to think about Saturday lectures and currently enjoying Saturday mornings in bed whilst it lasts 😀
    I would be doing the same if I didn't have to work! 🙄 If you're from around London then check out the link in my last post! Otherwise I'm sure I'll meet you during freshers!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanW97)
    I would be doing the same if I didn't have to work! 🙄 If you're from around London then check out the link in my last post! Otherwise I'm sure I'll meet you during freshers!
    I'm not from London but yeah see you around
    If I bump into a trinity engineer called Ryan I'll say hi

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Axiomara)
    Wait if you are a noob and you want to try out rowing do you have to start at 5 am. Or can you try it out a couple times at a humane hour.
    They usually have a few trials for freshers during the freshers week in more humane hours on weekend,

But regular outing (excising on the river) on week day, they have to do,it in the early morning as the river has to be available for other users (not rowers) of the river.
    They do outing in civilised hours on weekend, too, but you can't just join them randomly for,a few sessions as the position of each rower is very important and once they settled in the good combination, they'd stick to it for a long time and practice like that to improve. you just can't pop a new one in for one session and change it around frequently.
    If you want to try out,,I suggest you go to their introductory session in freshers week.

ReputationRep:
    They usually have a few trials for freshers during the freshers week in more humane hours on weekend,

But regular outing (excising on the river) on week day, they have to do,it in the early morning as the river has to be available for other users (not rowers) of the river.
    THANK you vincrows!

ReputationRep:
    THANK you vincrows!
    You're welcome.
    Hope you'll try at least. ......and hang on until the first bump at least!

Seen my edits btw?

ReputationRep:
    You're welcome.
    Hope you'll try at least. ......and hang on until the first bump at least!

Seen my edits btw?
    yes i did! i will try. i am a very lazy person so i feel like if i can manage to wake up at 5 am and row, i can probably convince myself to do anything else

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! I've always wanted to go to Cambridge to study maths and today I received my GCSEs.

I got 2A* 6As 1B and a C

However, I got 7A*s and 3Bs for my mocks and of course these results came as a shock to myself and my teachers.

I looked on the unofficial mark scheme for maths (which everyone said in my school was super accurate and they got the same marks as they predicted after seeing the unofficial mark scheme) and I hit around the A* boundary which was 170/200 and apparently I got 152(my teacher said that). However, I definitely think I can go up by at least 15 marks but is it possible that they could be soo off from the boundary?
    Im also buying some of the copies for some unit papers because all of my grades were off tbh. I think I did much better but I don't know whether it's likely for examiners to mark so wrongly in more than 8 papers!
    I don't know what to do because it costs so much money but I think it's my only option.
    I hope after the remark I get 5A*s 2As and 2Bs! Would either of these results be good for Cambridge?
    I really need advice because this is honestly my dream uni and I just don't know what happened! please help someone. I know this is a freshers thread but ur all going to Cambridge so should have an understanding. Lol sorry if it's long!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    are there societies in cambridge that are not related to a certain activity (aka fraternity/sorority-ish)?
    is there initiation and hazing and that kind of stuff?
    Traditionally you join the KGB/MI5.

ReputationRep:
    yes i did! i will try. i am a very lazy person so i feel like if i can manage to wake up at 5 am and row, i can probably convince myself to do anything else
    Good luck!
    And persevere until the first bump.....then you'll be hooked.
    Many rowers get friends of their lifetime in their rowing club.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck!
    And persevere until the first bump.....then you'll be hooked.
    Many rowers get friends of their lifetime in their rowing club.
    Cool, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Trust me, I'm not really the guy to ask. I went rowing for a term and a bit. For a cox I guess if you're just starting out, please be loud and also keep an eye on your rowers. Your rowers will generally give you feedback. Yeah coxes generally need to be light as they're at the front of the boat. Nope, if you're starting out on W3/M3, coxes tend to be new to the sport as are a few of the rowers starting out in the 3rd div. Rowers starting out on the 2nd/1st div are those who have quite a bit of experience.
    In last May bumps, a cox for M4 of my daughter's (old) college had an exam (or something) at the time of the race, so one of the rowers from M2 subbed for them. He's the biggest guy the club had, with well over 6ft and large built, with thick hair and large beard, shouting at rather delicately built, mainly first years.
    Quite interesting to watch them rowing past. Looked so wrong...........

Yeah that seems like a good idea, idk, I just hate being tired, I need to concentrate otherwise the day just goes to **** lol.
    Or row just for fun as a beer (or rugby, if you play) boat, if you managed to get 7 other guys interested.

ReputationRep:
    Cool, thank you!
    And no initiation involved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DamnDaniel2)
    Hey guys! I've always wanted to go to Cambridge to study maths and today I received my GCSEs.

I got 2A* 6As 1B and a C

However, I got 7A*s and 3Bs for my mocks and of course these results came as a shock to myself and my teachers.

I looked on the unofficial mark scheme for maths (which everyone said in my school was super accurate and they got the same marks as they predicted after seeing the unofficial mark scheme) and I hit around the A* boundary which was 170/200 and apparently I got 152(my teacher said that). However, I definitely think I can go up by at least 15 marks but is it possible that they could be soo off from the boundary?
    Im also buying some of the copies for some unit papers because all of my grades were off tbh. I think I did much better but I don't know whether it's likely for examiners to mark so wrongly in more than 8 papers!
    I don't know what to do because it costs so much money but I think it's my only option.
    I hope after the remark I get 5A*s 2As and 2Bs! Would either of these results be good for Cambridge?
    I really need advice because this is honestly my dream uni and I just don't know what happened! please help someone. I know this is a freshers thread but ur all going to Cambridge so should have an understanding. Lol sorry if it's long!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How good are the results from your school?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.