The Current Year 11 Thread Mark I (2016-2017)

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! I have some classroom mocks next week and I wasn't entirely aware that they were so soon. I really need advice for how to prepare for a test with only a week notice. Does anyone have any specific tips and tricks they could share with me for how best to efficiently revise in a week because I really want to start these subjects well. The classroom mocks are in English and History.

ReputationRep:
    My physics teacher has also just told me that the ISA we did was not the real ISA even after he told us that it was so that's annoying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ferozagirl)
    Hi, I'm ferozagirl, and I'm taking 12 GSCEs
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Maths (Edxecel)
    Further Maths (-apparently) (AQA)
    English Language (AQA)
    English Literature (AQA)
    Biology (OCR)
    Chemistry (OCR)
    Physics (OCR)
    TP ([I have no idea])
    Music (Edexcel)
    History (AQA)
    Spanish (AQA) (done it for a REALLY long time now)
    Psychology (Edexcel)
    My hobbies are: singing, painting, learning about science (as a whole), watching oriental media (in general - animes, kdramas etc.), playing guitar, learning Korean (and playing language apps), reading, watching netflix (among many, many other things) and talking (as you may notice from the size of this reply)

I'm worried about how I'm going to survive Year 11, and with the grades I want, in particular. Year 10 was a grilling experience for me because I didn't expect it to be so difficult - everyone talks about the jump from GCSEs to A-Levels, but I (somehow) did not see the jump from KS3 to KS4. Being dropped in the deep end so early on, I didn't quite get into the rhythm of things, and kind of drifted around for the majority of the year (drifting/drowning in procrastination) - something I really hope I don't do this year >.< It's gonna be tough, catching up with stuff I fell behind on in Year 10.

Has anyone got any tips/advice on how to not waste time?
    (I have no focus - something I'm pretty sure I'm going to need this year )

I like almost all of my subjects, but I think I've definitely been put off by some of them (being thrown into the deep end, and whatnot), particularly History. It's probably because, somewhere along the way, I deeply confused myself and blew the whole thing out of proportion and my head hurts just thinking about it. I do indeed like school, but I feel a lot more lost than I have in the past. My dream job would probably be something like research in neuroscience, or being a brain surgeon, or a diagnostician, or a psychiatrist, or psychologist (I just really want to study the brain, or go into medicine). That, or become a singer (but I'll probably do that on the side).

In terms of A Levels, I've made a decision on some of my options, but not all:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Maths
    Biology
    Chemistry
    FM/Spanish/Music/Psychology/Sociology (-which I've never done)
    I'm just a bit of a mess right now '
    When you say wasting time, is this when you're revising, or just wasting time doing things that aren't important during your day in general

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Quick question to the people who have study periods, how many periods a day do you have?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simonexoxo)
    When you say wasting time, is this when you're revising, or just wasting time doing things that aren't important during your day in general

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Both, but mostly my day in general
    How do you stay motivated?

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm Isolde, I'm taking nine GCSEs- I took History, Philosophy & Ethics, Art (so much regret), and Computer Science for my options.
    I'm on Edexcel for Maths, CS, History and sciences, AQA for English and Art, OCR for RS and Philosophy/Ethics.

As for non-school stuff, I love to read and teach myself things- I know how dorky that sounds, ffs why, but I looove history, even outside of school. The smaller the print and the dustier the cover the better. Other than that, I like to volunteer in my local charity shop, listen to debates, binge watch Seinfeld.
    I don't know if I'm ready for year 11 or not, honestly. I don't feel how it sounds. I always pictured 'Year 11' and 'sixteen' as abstract, Disney Channel-esque things that were so far off, but here I am, so I'd better just get on with it?

My favourite subjects are English, History, and Computer science. Maths and Science lowkey make me want to hurl myself off a cliff.

My dream career is something within the Diplomatic Service, or possibly a barrister specializing in human rights law. But no matter what it is, I want my career to be my life, and I want to feel like I'm helping someone, or something get done.

ReputationRep:
    year 11 sucks
    year 11 sucks
    year 11 sucks

ReputationRep:
    Quick question to the people who have study periods, how many periods a day do you have?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have one study period a week and five (1 hour long) periods each day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iso.lde)
    Hi! I'm Isolde, I'm taking nine GCSEs- I took History, Philosophy & Ethics, Art (so much regret), and Computer Science for my options.
    I'm on Edexcel for Maths, CS, History and sciences, AQA for English and Art, OCR for RS and Philosophy/Ethics.

As for non-school stuff, I love to read and teach myself things- I know how dorky that sounds, ffs why, but I looove history, even outside of school. The smaller the print and the dustier the cover the better. Other than that, I like to volunteer in my local charity shop, listen to debates, binge watch Seinfeld.
    I don't know if I'm ready for year 11 or not, honestly. I don't feel how it sounds. I always pictured 'Year 11' and 'sixteen' as abstract, Disney Channel-esque things that were so far off, but here I am, so I'd better just get on with it?

My favourite subjects are English, History, and Computer science. Maths and Science lowkey make me want to hurl myself off a cliff.

My dream career is something within the Diplomatic Service, or possibly a barrister specializing in human rights law. But no matter what it is, I want my career to be my life, and I want to feel like I'm helping someone, or something get done.
    Hi! Do you take RS and philosophy and ethic or are they combined?
    History is great! Do you know what you want it take for a level yet?
    I get what you mean about not feeling old enough to be in year 11.. It feels so weird!

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    2 hours a week (split up)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BobBobson)
    What GCSEs have you done already a and do you go to a grammar school?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat.e)
    Hi! Do you take RS and philosophy and ethic or are they combined?
    History is great! Do you know what you want it take for a level yet?
    I get what you mean about not feeling old enough to be in year 11.. It feels so weird!
    I take both core RS and Philosophy & Ethics, though whether or not my class takes an exam/full course in core RS is yet to be decided.
    Yes and yes!! History, Government and Politics, English Language, and Computer Science. What about you?
    I know, I still feel like a year seven s:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samaad1)
    What GCSEs have you done already a and do you go to a grammar school?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Havent done any, and yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ferozagirl)
    Both, but mostly my day in general
    How do you stay motivated?
    Well I guess when I don't feel like revising or doing any notes and I'm just wasting time on Netflix I kinda think how disappointed I would be if I got bad grades, or things like how my dad only left school with 2 gcse's and I don't want that to be me I guess

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BobBobson)
    Sorry, I meant lessons a day so I have 5 periods a day, but I know one girl who has like 8 periods a day and is at school from like 8 something till 5 with no study periods.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am so stressed out already. Please someone tell me I'm not the only one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by buzzyambee)
    I am so stressed out already. Please someone tell me I'm not the only one
    Why are you stressed out?

ReputationRep:
    I have 8 periods, 40 mins each, + lunch + break, pretty common.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    Why are you stressed out?
    I have soooo much coursework to finish. It's so exhausting :/

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone im new on this thread

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 1, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.